BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Lion El' Jonsson have Aspergers?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • No Way - He just had a rough Tarzan childhood.

35 45.45%
  • Yes - There is something not right with the Lion's noggin.

42 54.55%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Scout

Default Does Lion El'Jonsson have Asperger's Syndrome?

I've been thinking about the Primarchs and their relationship with the Emperor, their personalities, flaws and traits, when it hit me. The Lion has terrible interpersonal relations with those around him, has trouble reading and understanding their emotions, and has obsessive tendencies. These are classic Asperger's traits. Those with Asperger's are often brilliant in other ways, and the Lion is acknowledged as a superior tactician, even among his brothers.
    All of the Primarchs have their own strengths and weaknesses in some way, and from his first appearance in Descent of Angels, it was obvious that he wasn't as well rounded as some of his brothers.
    I'm not criticising those with Asperger's, just wondering if I'm the only one out there who thinks that this might be the case?

Admin Note: Poll Added
    Last edited by Bigred; 11-24-2013 at 12:19 PM.

Brother-Captain

You remember the part where it details how the Lion was first discovered by Luther in the forest? Imagine the original Wild Ape Man of old Colonial-era fantasy, where a man grows up not within the hallowed halls of civilization -- but is instead raised among the dangers of the dark jungle. The Lion is that trope/archetype personified. He grew to manhood without speaking a word, having no one but himself to rely upon, naked in a place inhabited by some of the most deadly monsters (warp-tainted) you could imagine. How sociable do you believe an individual would be with that kind of start?
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

OP is right, the Lion sucks at reading people and playing well with others. It's possible to chalk it up to a rough childhood, but for a guy that can, in his own words, perform hyperspace calculations in his head, he ought to be genius enough to figure how to read people. Case in point, he handed over those super seige engines to Perturabo as he lied straight to the Lion. He really lacked in this regard.

Chapter-Master

There are a lot of different types of smart out there, being intelligent in one area does not make you intelligent in all areas.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

I think it's an intriguing idea. I kind of like the thought that the Lion's tragic flaw could have been an inability to get people. I'm not sure calling it Asperger's is totally accurate - I'm not sure that the Primarchs are sufficiently human for us to ascribe human disorders to them - but it sounds like a good model for his personality.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Scout

It's a good point about the Lion growing up in isolation. One I had considered, as those with Asperger's often develop language later than their peers. But as he grew up without language, there was no possibilities of reliable observations. I also accept the notion that the Lion may not be sufficiently human to ascribe human frailties to. However, the point I'm trying to make, is that the Emperor's experiment of perfect warrior/leaders was not without failure. For all the Emperors efforts, the faults and foibles that make us human have crept in. Dorn is riven with self doubt, Fulgrim is consumed with hubris, vanity and pride, Lorgar can't seem to function without something to worship, all of which are human failings. Much is made in the text of the Lion's dependency on Luther, even into adulthood, of his inability to "read" people, and his odd behaviour in banishing those closest to him, with no apparent consideration to their feelings. I'm just seeking to explain some of these behaviours, as they ultimately lead to his downfall.

Battle-Brother

Of course, the very reason the heresy started was due to the fact despite being omnipotent superbeings they were all susceptible to human failings.

Librarian

i think the lion is supposed to be a little bit crazy.... both from his early years as feral, and his obvious warp taint during that time.
    what did he eat? he ate what he killed.... eating meat from chaos monsters is never good for you.

he had a natural affinity towards the scheming side of things, plans and plots etc and then there are the watchers.

silent sentinels that only talk to him, supposedly only visible to him (until calibans destruction) and then the obvious link to a demon engine that he has no issues using to his own desires...... a demon engine that can manipulate time and space....

sounds like classic tzeentch to me.

oh thats right the DA have a load of bird and feather symbols, and they have a strong librarius that knows the schemes of men....... no definitely not tzeentch then :/

I would say that the Lion does not have asperger's Syndrome. Mainly on the premise that Asperger's no longer exists. Does the Lion have Autism... That is a simple yes, as every person lies somewhere on the autistic continuum. Now where does he lie on the continuum, is another question and without more insight into his thoughts, I would argue that is impossible at this point to say. However, using the DSM V, I would say that the Lion at least has a mild form of Autism.

Scout

Actually, I think the Heresy occurred because of the Emperor's bad parenting skills. :-)

As for the Dark Angels having a strong Librarius, did Zahariel and Israfael on Caliban not get the message about the Edict of Nikea?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast