BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New rule suggestion

To encourage more painted models on the tabletop for 40k I would like to suggest the following rules update:

All (3-up minimum) painted and based models have the USR Preferred Enemy "Unpainted Models" reroll 1's to hit and to wound

How quickly would players scramble to paint their models in your club?
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ T. Pratchett

Chapter-Master

Would probably encourage the bandwaggoneers with the 'Grey Hordes of Doom' as no matter how many re-rolls I get against their 18 doomscythe list it don't matter... But I think it an amusing idea.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

My friends have been using this for ages, its great

And I came up with the idea without the use of alcohol!
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ T. Pratchett

Chapter-Master

My FLGS uses this rule during campaigns. You get one free game if you have a receipt, from the store, dated within a week of the game (ie. "cut me some slack - I just bought these yesterday!"). I think it's a great idea, but I wouldn't want to apply it for 100% casual games. I mean, I get it, but I don't think I know anyone who isn't trying to get his army painted as fast and as good as they can, and I don't want to unduly punish folks who work longer hours/have more kids/paint more slowly than me.

Everyone looking down their noses at them - and the deep sense of shame and failure that comes with it - is enough.

For casual games. I fully support rules like this for campaigns and tournaments. Getting your **** together to create a cinematic experience is part of what makes special events fun.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

First-Captain

Some don't paint their models if when they do paint them it looks bad and ruin an expensive model which instead they pay a commission instead.

Anyway I look at it if you don't help new hobbyist figure out how to paint their models all you doing is encouraging more unpainted models.

How about offer class and have events that help people have painted models instead of giving them a hard time.

For a while when my store did campaigns all models had to be painted. It was awesome
    Purge the Weak!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Vangrail View Post
    For a while when my store did campaigns all models had to be painted. It was awesome
    I'd shy away from requiring painted models. That's a bit harsh for those of us who have lives. I think that a slight penalty for unpainted models is a nice middle ground. You want to get your **** painted so your opponents aren't all rerolling their ones, but you aren't banned from playing because something came up and you didn't get your land raider finished.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

I can't tell you how many people getting into 40k, youth in particular, would be driven away by overly zealous paint n*zis.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    I can't tell you how many people getting into 40k, youth in particular, would be driven away by overly zealous paint n*zis.
    I would be one, I paint my stuff when I feel like it but I'm not very good. One of my friends always hounds me about painting/touching up my models and I tell him to paint my stuff himself if it bugs him so much, and then he looks at all the models he needs to assemble/paint and concedes till next week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast