BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Herzlos View Post
    Almost no-one plays WHF/40K at my club, either

I do hear that The Hobbit/LOTR is a decent game, I just can't justify the entry price compared to everything else on the market.
    Whatchoo talkin' 'bout Willis?

Hobbit is dead cheap to get into.

One box plastic guys, and a clampack command. Boof. One battle ready force right there!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Librarian

All you need is 500 points to have a good game and with the requirement to have a hero model per 12 miniatures thats not a lot seeing as a basic hero is 40+ points. The hobbit box is a really good intro, although you need more goblins if you want to expand that side of the army.

Goblins, backed up by a Troll or two. Brilliant little force. Gobbos supply mucho attacko, Trolls provides high fight value, and some decent clobbering.

Rules are beautiful too. Charge into combat, and then split up the combats as evenly as possible (so if I charge a blob of three with twelve guys, I'd have to divvy it up into 4:1 combats, rather than gank one dude with 10:1). Total up the attacks for each side, and roll that many dice. Highest dice wins, with highest Fight value determining draws. Winner then rolls to wound (strength v defence) with each attack. Heroes can use Might to alter the results, until it's spent (one alteration = one might point).

People really need to give The Hobbit a decent chance before passing judgement. LotR got a bum rap mainly due to the rather lack lustre Fellowship of the Ring box, which came with Goblins, and Warriors of the Last Alliance, a combination not actually seen in the film. The game itself is pretty awesome!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Whatchoo talkin' 'bout Willis?

Hobbit is dead cheap to get into.

One box plastic guys, and a clampack command. Boof. One battle ready force right there!
    Using your example of Goblins backed up with Trolls thats £80 for figures, without rules (Goblin Warriors @ £20, 3 trolls @ £50 and Goblin Captain @ £10). The I'd need to drop either £50 for the BRB or £75 for Escape From Goblin Town. So the cheapest there is £130.

With the same £130 I can get 2 starters for Flames Of War with £30 left over for some blisters. Or 4 Infinity teams, or pretty much everything for one side in X-Wing, or a large Bolt Action or Hail Caesar army.

I dare say I could get a better force for 40K with the same money too.

I don't doubt it's the better GW ruleset, but the sticker shock prevents me (or any of my gaming buddies) from getting into it, so I'll never know.

If I see it at ~50% off I'll get some though. I've got a fair sized pile of LOTR figs I picked up cheap. The fact I can't even give them away shows how big a take up there is for it, and it's not because of the quality of the rules.
    Last edited by Herzlos; 11-28-2013 at 07:44 AM.

Gobbos £20.

Gobbo Captain £10

Cave Troll £18.50.

Or, Escape from Goblin Town - £75, Cave Troll £18.50. (Goblin Town comes with Gobbo King, and a Captain in it)

So cheapest is £93.50, including full rules, some terrain and models you can do swapsies with.

If you've got models already, group them into races, see what you've got. Chances are you've got a full force or two.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeaker View Post
    I'm actually really digging these hobbit minis. I wish they weren't as pricey as they are, or mostly in fine cast. I would have scooped a lot of them up for sure.

EDIT:

Also, I just realized the movie is only 2 weeks away. For All it's faults, I still enjoy it.

YEAAA!
    Last edited by Green_Lumux; 11-28-2013 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lattd View Post
    The perry twins do some great historical models just not fantasy models :/ still the ruleset was really tight as you had a base stat line and changing it added to or subtracted from points cost. So despite its hate it was probably the most balanced GW game.
    The Perry twins Vampire Counts stuff is excellent.

I want to see a better picture of Tauriel, after the horribleness that was the Galadriel sculpt I really want her sculpt to be excellent and from what I can tell it is ok, but it's a fairly small, blurry picture.
    Last edited by eldargal; 11-28-2013 at 09:10 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Gobbos £20.

Gobbo Captain £10

Cave Troll £18.50.

Or, Escape from Goblin Town - £75, Cave Troll £18.50. (Goblin Town comes with Gobbo King, and a Captain in it)

So cheapest is £93.50, including full rules, some terrain and models you can do swapsies with.

If you've got models already, group them into races, see what you've got. Chances are you've got a full force or two.
    Sorry, basic starting level is £93.50 (I didn't see a Cave Troll). That'll still get me started in pretty much any game with change. Though as far as I recall Goblin Town doesn't actually have stats for anything not in Goblin Town, so I wouldn't have the rules for the Cave Troll?

All I've got model wise is some knights of Gondor, Wild Men, uruk-hai, goblins, 2 Gandalfs and an Eagle. Even if I had enough I couldn't bring myself to spend £50 on a rule book or £75 for a starter set, just to use them. I'm not being tight either; I've already spent £300 on mini's this month.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    If they'd come out this month, it'd be one more sure-seller for the holiday season.
    Bercause you totally need to boost sales at Christmas time.

Post Christmas is when you NEED to boost sales...

Oh lookie here what's coming out in January?

From a marketing point of view there was never going to be any releases but lotr hobbit this month. Im surprised they released the 40k books frankly.
    The simple fact is, they must sell as many nobbit boxes as possible now or lose the once a year shot at opening the market up for the second to last time. Lets face it theres only a few years of shelf life left to the game before the axe falls. Dont anyone think gw wont axe the nobbit. They will.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast