BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Worst sportsmanship ever implies that this is a sportsmanship issue in the first place. Biggest dick move ever implies that it was a serious dick move.

Was there a prize? Was there money on it? Was someone really in need of a win, in order to keep his ego from deflating?

Or was it a 3-way game... An automatically-biased system that got further bollixed by random mission rolls, and you got worked up because you didn't win?

I saw someone end a summer campaign by forcing a team-up with the leader, and all but that one person (who should have won) split the prize money, including that almost-winner's partner (who threw the game).

I saw someone smash a well-painted FW greater daemon over a bad due roll.

I saw a ton of other examples. And many of them were caused by people who took the game FAR too seriously and felt like they got robbed. Just like the OP.

Librarian

i once sold my soul to keep rome in a board game does that make me evil? does that make me a horrible sportsman? a few weeks ago tau beat me 2x in a row in the same day the 2nd game i conceeded on turn 2 after my army lay in ruin... does that make me a poor sport? some times games are fun and some days they are not. maybe the wolf player just got bored or he was only playing because thats what a good friend does even when he doesnt want to do it.

I remember a few years back we did orks vs guard in a campaign the ork player ( me and a friend) crushed the imperials game after game. even when hey used a warhound titan ontop of their points we crushed them.... my wazdakka has a titan kill.... we can leave it at that. but i have no problem admitting that after kicking their butts for months when we had a final large scale appocolypse game to determine if we took the last hive city we threw it. have you ever tried to throw a game? its not that hard atleast its not easy to do when you don't want your buddies to know that you did it. One friend knows he figured it out our other buddy remains oblivious...

Holy Mother of Khorne Vyper, you had a hissy fit over that? Wow, you're the one being unsportsmanlike by blowing up the game. You feel the Wolf player handed the win to the BA player? Maybe you should have figured out a way for him to bow out before that. But to get all uppity and just end the game? Wow. If someone pulled that crap in my group they would not be asked back.
    On the Purge the Whiner, Abhor the Whiner Crusade

Initiate

Really? you are upset because another player failed to play in a manner that you required (even though it was perfectly legal) so you could win the game? Nobody owes you a win. he can "look out sir" all day or not as he chooses. It is his turn, his army and his decision.

Frankly the only questionable sportsmanship here is you getting your nose out of joint about it.

After 10 hours playing, maybe he forgot to LoS; after all nobody is perfect. You just need to chalk it up to experience and get on with it. With absolutely nothing at stake (apart from bragging rights), it is just a game after all.

I feel your pain, and the pain of many others here. A month or so ago our gaming group met to have our "traditional" Warhammer Weekend. The group is made up of 4 people (a gamer, a painter, a collector and a fluff wizard) each who bring a different element to the game. It's been happening for a while now but over the past few years our games have become increasingly competitive and no fun at all. The gamer will refuse to play unless he knows he can win and often fields overpowered tournament lists. The painter plays any old list but became frustrated and stopped playing as she couldn't win. The collector started using stronger and stronger lists to compete and I have always played the thing that I feel is fluffier.

The last weekend we played was my last as u had a melt down fueled by the growing frustration of my own and the lack of fun these games brought. Everyone had fielded hugely tailored overpowered lists, Kaiden with special characters and powerful combos. The gamer of the group refused to play as people now had lists that could beat his and I brought my new toys to the table.

After turn 2 of the first game of the weekend I realised that I was being soundly owned but it want in a fun way. There was a sense if seriousness and competition that sucked the joy out of the room and I quickly lost my sense of humour and my temper flared. The weekend went in and it came to a point were I completely melted down and we have not spoken or gamed since.

When a group devolves into mini tournaments and powerful list building and becomes less about meeting up to play games with our cool toys it's never worth it. We all have enough stress in our lives that forcing yourself to play tournaments 24/7 and have no fun isn't worth it. It's like sitting down to play cards and that "one friend" starts taking it all way to seriously.

Life is too short.
    Iron Hands fanboy since 2008.
    Iron Hands [4k], Brotherhood of Iron [1k], Sons of Medusa [500]

With three way games, there's more than just win/lose.

Between two players, it's much harder to walk away feeling you've been cheated out of a well earned win situation, even when the dice turn on you.

But with three players? In the situation described, it seems a case of the Space Woof player arguably choosing the winner by not applying a rule. And that sucks for the player who all game had used cunning and tactics and that to get into the best position.

Like a less extreme version of being told at a job interview 'well, you're certainly the best qualified person we've seen for this position, and you certainly have oodles of experience. Sadly, I'm interviewing Jeff next. Jeff might be an incompetent boob who has lead his past three employers squarely into liquidation, but then, we were at Eton together, so I'm afraid you've wasted your time, LOL!'
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    I feel your pain, and the pain of many others here. A month or so ago our gaming group met to have our "traditional" Warhammer Weekend. The group is made up of 4 people (a gamer, a painter, a collector and a fluff wizard) each who bring a different element to the game. It's been happening for a while now but over the past few years our games have become increasingly competitive and no fun at all. The gamer will refuse to play unless he knows he can win and often fields overpowered tournament lists. The painter plays any old list but became frustrated and stopped playing as she couldn't win. The collector started using stronger and stronger lists to compete and I have always played the thing that I feel is fluffier.

The last weekend we played was my last as u had a melt down fueled by the growing frustration of my own and the lack of fun these games brought. Everyone had fielded hugely tailored overpowered lists, Kaiden with special characters and powerful combos. The gamer of the group refused to play as people now had lists that could beat his and I brought my new toys to the table.

After turn 2 of the first game of the weekend I realised that I was being soundly owned but it want in a fun way. There was a sense if seriousness and competition that sucked the joy out of the room and I quickly lost my sense of humour and my temper flared. The weekend went in and it came to a point were I completely melted down and we have not spoken or gamed since.

When a group devolves into mini tournaments and powerful list building and becomes less about meeting up to play games with our cool toys it's never worth it. We all have enough stress in our lives that forcing yourself to play tournaments 24/7 and have no fun isn't worth it. It's like sitting down to play cards and that "one friend" starts taking it all way to seriously.

Life is too short.
    This is pretty much my old group to a tee. We had a gamer, a casual guy, a collector and me a fluff player.
    The gamer played elsewhere in addition to tournies and thus became way better at the game plus used ppwer builds. He didnt need to but just liked his way of kerb stomping.
    The casual pretty much lost every game but was there for social reasons.
    The collector lost almost everygame and started to wonder why he bothered buying stuff.
    And i lost every game because my lists would use units that were fluffy not powered up and no duplication.
    The days would be at the collectors gaff and he would lose interest after one stomping and then it would devolve from there.
    It became most unenjoyable and ended badly.
    I left the group because there was no fluff involved and for me thats the whole bag.
    The other three still meet occasionally as the collector and casual are closet 40kers and want to keep it that way.
    The collector still moans that he loses pretty much every game.
    Oddly masochistic lol.
    Last edited by Popsical; 11-28-2013 at 10:20 AM.

Wow. Lost Viper.

I'd thought you seemed ok, but from reading this, I don't think I'd like to play you.

It's a game. Your friend screwed you over to let the player in 3rd come first. A surprise result. And there was nothing you could do about it. Apparently your arrogance thinking that you had the game in the bag was unfounded, and the SW player needed to teach you a thing or two?

The SW player was a better sportsman than you. They let the player that was last, come first. Which is funny.

Be ashamed.
    Last edited by Xenith; 11-28-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Dont be ashamed thats daft. Vyper has already calmed down and has looked at it from a new view point. We all get annoyed sometimes and all of us learn from moments like this (or should), trick is to move on and forget about it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast