BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GW Corporate

Chapter-Master

I thought Kirby had gone?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

The problem I have with the expected merger stuff is that people have been saying it for twenty years, there were even people say it becoming a publically listed company was in anticipation of a giant pay-off when it was then acquired by Hasbro. I mean that isn't to say it won't happen but if it does it won't be a case of 'we were right' but 'we said something for twenty years and it coincidentally came true'.

Yes, Kirby has left.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    The problem I have with the expected merger stuff is that people have been saying it for twenty years, there were even people say it becoming a publically listed company was in anticipation of a giant pay-off when it was then acquired by Hasbro. I mean that isn't to say it won't happen but if it does it won't be a case of 'we were right' but 'we said something for twenty years and it coincidentally came true'.

Yes, Kirby has left.
    Caveat, To those in the business (my father among them, being a CFO) a lot of the things GW has been doing for the last 10 years HAS looked like they are driving up their price to sell the company.....at least from an investment perspective. (however this isn't in regards to their sale decisions but more things such as their control of the share price by limiting access to the stock and minimizing their exposure to the price of metals, so your point still kinda stands)
    Last edited by daboarder; 12-03-2013 at 12:37 AM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Librarian

I'm pretty sure GW could afford a few of their competitors, GW has a ridiculously low debt, £10 million gross profits on £125 million gross. I'm sure they could afford wyrd or infinity.

Occuli Imperator

The question is why would they bother. GW is all about expanding it's market, not necessarily expanding it's market share. Reading on various fora and it becomes self evident most players of these alternative systems were WFB/40k players at some point.

The other thing to consider daborder is that by minimising their exposure to metal price fluctuations they are controlling their external factors and securing a profitablility margin. Also by minising the availability of stock, firstly it can inflate the current shareholders value of their shares, which for the board and share holders is a good thing, the other side to that is that they create a fairly stable market without risking exposure to the whims of fisical markets.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Okay, so when did we learn that Tom Kirby has left GW? See, if you look on [URL="http://investor.games-workshop.com/the-board-of-directors/"]this page[/URL], it clearly states that Tom Kirby is both chariman and acting CEO. This page was updated, at the latest, on November 28th, as it lists Elaine O'Donnell as as an independent director. I would love to be enlightened.

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post

Yes, Kirby has left.
    I haven't been saying for 20 years Eldargal. I have been saying it for about 6 months or so. And pointing out that people have been saying it for years is not evidence that makes the inference unreasonable. I think you understand that, but I am emphasizing this for clarity.

And I agree with Wolfshade. GW may have the cash...well GW could go into debt...to buy a company like Wyrd, but GW is not in a position to do so because there is not enough to be gained from such an acquisition. GW does not want to saddle itself with another game, that much is clear, so the only reason GW would acquire a company like PP or Wyrd would be to remove competition. GW does not feel such competition is even competition, much less a threat, so why would the company go into debt to buy something that it believes has no value.

At the same time, companies like PP and Wyrd are privately owned, are expanding, and are doing well financially from what we can tell. They would know an acquisition would mean the death or castration of the products that they have worked hard for years to build, and they are also made up of folks who arguably have a less than stellar opinion of the folks at GW HQ. Consequently, GW would probably have to pay something above reasonable value to acquire one of those companies.

GW is not in a position to acquire a company like Wyrd or Privateer Press.

Chapter-Master

Eldargal never said that you yourself said that. She said that people in general have been saying that. You are not legion.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Eldargal never said that you yourself said that. She said that people in general have been saying that. You are not legion.
    I made a prediction.

Eldargal indirectly responded to my prediction by stating that she believed there to be a "problem" with it and explained that the problem related to the prediction having been made for a long time without ever thus far being correct. She lumped those that have made such a prediction together as a collective that has been making said prediction for 20 years, which can simply be taken as her making a point about the reliability of predictions based on a scanty amount of data, confirmation bias, etc., and need not have been taken literally.

I responded by amiably pointing out that my prediction is inherently unrelated to the prior predictions of others.

This was not a confrontational dialog, nor am I claiming to speak for everyone. Eldargal was however most likely responding to what I had written, which is perfectly fine, but in doing so she inherently lumped me together with the "we" who had been saying the same thing for 20 years. She made a fine point, understanding, as I expect, that my prediction is not related to the prior predictions of others and not intending to be taken literally.

I merely made explicit the point that I am independent of her rhetorical "we" for the benefit of folks such as yourself.

I am sure that Eldargal can shed some light on this matter.
    Last edited by weeble1000; 12-03-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Chapter-Master

Ah, I see what you meant. As you wrote it, it sounded like you were claiming that when eldargal said people, you thought she meant you.

Also, if you're being amniable, you should probably start sounding like it. I've seen your posts in other threads, and despite your claim here from what I've seen you consistantly sound condescending and argumentative. Maybe you don't mean to come off that way, but don't talk **** when you're being hypocritical.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast