BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Hive Fleet Hydra- 1500 points

I have been preparing a tyranid army to take part in a local competition nd before i ran out and got all of it i would like to hear some opinions. - 1018

HQ

Broodlord- 90
    With Extended Carapace+Toxin Sacs

Tyranid warriors-97
    With Adrenal Glands (+1 WS.) +Toxin sacs+ Rending Claws+Scything talons

Elites

Tyranid warriors-99
    With Enhanced Senses + Deathspitters+Devourers

Tyranid warriors-99
    With Enhanced Senses + Deathspitters+Devourers

Tyranid warriors-97
    With Adrenal Glands (+1 WS.) +Toxin sacs+ Rending Claws+Lash Whips

Troops

32 Spinegaunts- 160

32 Spinegaunts- 160

32 Spinegaunts- 160

32 Spinegaunts- 160

32 Spinegaunts- 160

Heavy Support

Biovore- 55
    +Bio Acid Mines

What do you think? feel free to change, edit or suggest without holding back.
    Last edited by Emperorsmercy; 08-02-2009 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Spelling

Chaplain

Nids aren't my strong suit, but, IIRC you MUST take a Retinue for the Broodlord, so it's illegal.
    Opinions are like aresholes. Get yours outta my face.. MindWar FTW. Bald and Screaming. Couple others...;) Learn something.

Veteran-Sergeant

Oh, ok. I hadnt spotted that. Ill equip him with some genestealer friends

Hi Emperorsmercy! I love seeing Tyranid army lists with warriors.

Only a couple of comments because I know you are re-working to add the Genestealer brood.

1. Don't bother with Enhanced Senses and Devourers on your Warriors - just use the points for more warriors with Deathspittters and Scything Talons (or Rending Claws if you have the points)! 24" S5 AP5 Blast weapons are fine at BS2, as long as you have 4 or 5 of them.

2. I almost never bother with close combat warriors - just a bunch of Deathspitters behind my wall of gaunts works fine. It certainly keeps the pressure on, which gives you that "unending tide" of gaunts feeling.

3. I'd consider putting Scuttlers on at least one unit of gaunts. This will let you deploy the army more narrowly (instead of spreading out in a long line).

XXXXXX
    YYYYYY

instead of

XXXXXXYYYYYY

In addition, you can outflank from time to time which is a lot of fun.

4. I'd use some of the points for at least one Carnifex -- a real brute. The goal is to force your opponent to make decisions on what to shoot. If I have a tactical marine squad with 8 Bolters, a Meltagun and a Lascannon. I'd rather him shoot the Carnifex than wipe out a Gaunt squad. One T7 W5 TMC will draw a lot of fire away from the tide.

5. Not a huge Biovore fan, but some friends swear by them.

Can't wait to see the final list!

-- MKerr
    Check out my new Blog! --- http://www.ChainFist.com
    Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/40kNEWS

Veteran-Sergeant

Ok, This is my reworked list:

HQ

Broodlord- 90
    With Extended Carapace+Toxin Sacs
    Genestealer retinue- 80

Tyranid warriors- 80
    Deathspitters+Rending Claws

Elites

Tyranid warriors-80
    With + Deathspitters+Rending Claws

Tyranid warriors-80
    Deathspitters+Rending Claws

Tyranid warriors-87
    Rending Claws+Lash Whips

Troops

32 Spinegaunts- 224
    +Scuttlers

32 Spinegaunts- 224
    +Scuttlers

32 Spinegaunts- 160

32 Spinegaunts- 160

32 Spinegaunts- 160

Heavy Support

Biovore- 55
    +Bio Acid Mines+Two biovores

That is it. I am left in the akward position of being left with 20 points. I can either spend that on upgrades or drop a Spinegaunt brood OR Scuttlers and buy a Carnifex. Help!

Brother-Captain

I'm sorry, but this list is terrible.

Broodlords suck. They infiltrate and only move like infantry, so they either get up close, isolated and easy to kill and die or stay back, movely slowly and die.

Warriors are no Carnifexes. They don't threaten vehicles, don't fight well in combat, and die really easily.

Spinegaunts are cheap, but taking that many is pointless. They won't kill anything, just annoy it until they decide to wipe them out.

Biovores suck and 2 acid mines does not make anti-tank.

Honestly, just scrap the whole thing. You have nothing to scare vehicles, particularly AV14, no real combat troops, just hordes and hordes of crap units with a single weaksauce lynchpin.

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbalaya View Post
    I'm sorry, but this list is terrible.

Broodlords suck. They infiltrate and only move like infantry, so they either get up close, isolated and easy to kill and die or stay back, movely slowly and die.

Warriors are no Carnifexes. They don't threaten vehicles, don't fight well in combat, and die really easily.

Spinegaunts are cheap, but taking that many is pointless. They won't kill anything, just annoy it until they decide to wipe them out.

Biovores suck and 2 acid mines does not make anti-tank.

Honestly, just scrap the whole thing. You have nothing to scare vehicles, particularly AV14, no real combat troops, just hordes and hordes of crap units with a single weaksauce lynchpin.

He is totally right. This list is fail. It may be one of the worst list that I have seen.

Go here for some tips on building a better list:

[URL="http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211265"]6 Tips for a better Nids list[/URL]

That should be a good start.

Oh yeah and Elessar lets see how long before we are banned lol!

Y T T H

Veteran-Sergeant

2 Acid mines per turn, which is what is says, is a reasonable anti tank. Spinegaunts, especially that many, can knock away most opposition and with the Broodlord and hsi Stealers hiding among their ranks they can act as shock troops and gain a cover save behind the Gaunts. The Warriors can fire away and stop the gaunts running off.

Mind you, I dont know very much, having only been collecting Nids for a couple of weeks.

So, Ill redo it.

A good rule (view) to remember is one MC for every 500pts. I would deff get a tyrant and a couple of carnifexes.

Hi Emperorsmercy, thank for reposting your list.

I'm not a huge fan of Toxin Sacs on Genestealers. They are strong enough to fill their role (and they shouldn't be chasing tanks). If you are itching to spend some extra points, I'd rather have Feeder Tendrils (which are an awesome deal at 1pt).

The list is going to stuggle against massed fire, but I bet it will be a fun army to play and play against. High AV vehicles are going to be really tough (counting on S4 rending to kill a Landraider isn't the best situation), so you are going to have to make sure you pick your battles carefully.

If you plan to use the army in a competitive arena, you're going to have to add a few of the more elements (outflanking Genestealers and TMCs). If you find yourself struggling to manage objectives, consider adding Without Number to one of your gaunt broods. Once they die, you can use them to grab objectives in your backfield (make sure to keep a Warrior brood near that location so they'll have synapse).

In any case, happy hunting and I look forward to seeing how the list plays!

-- MKerr
    Check out my new Blog! --- http://www.ChainFist.com
    Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/40kNEWS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast