BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Would you use non-GW models in your army?

Voters
204. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES: I like a little visual variety in my collection

173 84.80%
  • NO: Thats just not kosher

31 15.20%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Depends on the quality. If it stinks then I have issues. If its well thought out, then game on.
    Last edited by sfshilo; 12-05-2013 at 07:24 AM.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by sfshilo View Post
    Depends on the quality. If it Sufis then I have issues. If its well thought out then game on.
    Sufis? As opposed to Shiites?
    There is one direction: FORWARD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anggul View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa, those helmets are Starship Troopers helmets.

I'll agree on the proportions though. I also find it silly that all Cadians and Space Marine Scouts look exactly the same.
    I use catachan heads on my imperial fists scouts, as in my opinion the scout heads are a bit... Down's syndrome'y...
    Calm down. This is supposed to be FUN.

Scout

If they look cool and fit your armies aesthetic, go for broke! it's your money and your hobby and should be able to play the game and represent the units in your army however you see fit. So long as your opponent doesn't feel cheated and can clearly differentiate between units and their function then it shouldn't be a problem. If you're at a GW run tournament however, show some respect and use the models they produce. It'll save you a headache and waste no ones time.
    Horus was weak. Horus was a fool. He had the whole galaxy within his grasp and he let it slip away.

I originally used several non-gw parts for my Pre-heresy Thousand Sons terminators plus a scibor model for Magnus (seen in the attachment) but at the time I had more options for tournaments as Maelstrom Games was still going strong and there was no end of tournaments that weren't fussed about manufacturer, but as we all know Maelstrom Games shut down.

So I decided to try using these terminators at a small store v store tournament at Warhammer world, within 10 minutes of getting the models out I was asked "do you have any alternative models?" I said no and asked if it would be okay to use them this once? They refused and told me to remove them and got me some Black Reach terminators to acts as poor proxies for my Grey Knight terminators for the rest of the day, this strictness I didn't expect I thought given how small the event was I be allowed to use them just once; clearly not!

Since that day I've used purely GW models and parts with a few rogue trader parts here and there due to the fact nearly all events I attend are GW and I see no point in having a model I can only use at my gaming club.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00954.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	5919  
    Last edited by Proiteus; 12-05-2013 at 05:50 AM.
    A LOG OF LOYAL SORCERERS & REBEL GRETCHIN!

I have some non GW miniatures. In my opinion they suffer in comparison so bits, go ahead. Models? No thank you. What is entirely worse is the number of people at my club who will shamelessly play models without arms or heads week in week out. Show some pride for your hobby.

Veteran-Sergeant
    The Phalanx (Royal Berkshire, Great Britain)

Quote Originally Posted by Aspire to Glory View Post
    I use catachan heads on my imperial fists scouts, as in my opinion the scout heads are a bit... Down's syndrome'y...
    Amen to that....
    "Give me a hundred Space Marines. Failing that, give me a thousand other troops."

I use GW standard Orks, except when I want to add cybernetic parts to them (being a Big Mek led army). For variety's sake, I step outside the bounds for cybork parts.

I have no issue with someone or myself using models from companies that are not Games Workshop to represent figures and vice-versa as long as the model is clearly within the defined proportions and can be recognized as such (ie: your demon is not a Broadside). I think it creates a level of diversity, which Games Workshop is clearly trying to get across by allowing players access to the strongest models in each army with the new Formations, where players will have mixed bags and allow them to expand and enter armies by seamlessly transitioning from one to the other.

I could add the new Stormwing Formation to my existing Farsight Enclaves army right now to help my Tau get over the AV 13/14 bump and then if I ever decide I want to play Space Marines I can add the Formation to my new army and I would already have ~500 points of models readily available to me to start playing with and even could use my Tau and their Firesupport Cadre Formation so I could have two armies just by adding an HQ and two-four Troop choices. As much as I see this as a great way for Games Workshop to make money, I also see it as a way for players to be able to inexpensively add models to their collection and field two or three armies for mid-sized/standard sized games very quickly.

And with that being said, by having models that can play as different miniatures to keep with the "fluff" of an army if that is what you are interested in then find something that will allow you to do so. I mean after all, it is a game/hobby and you're supposed to have fun with it and the only people who should care are the staff at Games Workshops whose only interest is putting their own models into their display cases at the stores.
    Last edited by Orange; 12-05-2013 at 11:59 AM.

Librarian

after seeing how the ard boyz tournamnt went with players having unpainted unassembled armies Gw can sit on it and rotate. i use what i want when i want and if they have a problem with that then on well. if i do not attend or play in their events do you honestly think that hurts my feelings? any tournament i have gone to is all held by locals and gaming groups. not a bunch of red shirts. heck i remember i think i said dammit in the baltimore battle bunker once... got a lecture and told him where to shove it and left with out spending a dime. its this crap that makes GW a bunch or twits.

I have bits from scibor from and a ton of other designers is it my fault gw doesn't release a quality product or half the product line for some armies.... No it is not if i choose to buy conversion parts then you can choose to play me or choose not to just like i can choose to tell the store you refused to play me because you didn't like my kromleck ork nobs or because you didnt like my chapter house conversion for the stormraven. heck for christmas i expect to have carapace vets from dreamforge... if you don't want to play that's not my problem honestly. does that make me a jerk probably do i care not at all. 3rd party miniatures fill in gaps they fill in armies in creative ways. i am sorry but i do not want to look across the table and kill nothing but cadians.... GW if you don't like it find some one who cares because i dont

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast