BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Would you use non-GW models in your army?

Voters
204. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES: I like a little visual variety in my collection

173 84.80%
  • NO: Thats just not kosher

31 15.20%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    First-Captain

It is noticable. I found myself picking out non gw models in an apoc game before. The old red shirt didn't care at the gw store. Anyway since gw don't make female guard other companies have female guard, etc. I personally don't have a n problem with it. If it is a tournament it should be Wysiwyg and look like it fit with 40k.

I do convert from other companies like Warmachine, but that's due to it being easy to bit order from them, so I do have a few heads and wings from hordes/ Warmachine

It adds variety and anything that results in more variety in the hobby is good.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Veteran-Sergeant

I play Orks. Obviously there is a lot of room for customization with Orks, and I buy a lot of third party products (Kromlech, Spellcrow, Maxmimi etc). I always keep the model as close as possible to the same dimensions (For example I will likely be making my own Stompa, as I hate the GW model, but will be using it as a guide for height, width etc), and make it clearly Orky. I've never had any complaints.
    Unfortunately my army is not considered eligible for tournaments at my local gaming club, as they insist on at least 75% GW models.
    A lot of my standard boyz are modded with third party arms or heads. So no Orks at the tournament, sadly.

I've heard a story, the veracity of which I am a little dubious about, of an Ork player being turned away from a tournament because his army was fitted out with all Necron weaponry. His opponent complained and the ruling was that his army was illegal due to nobody but Necrons being able to use the weapons. Apart from discounting the whole Ork psyk fluff; who cares? If they're clearly Orks holding weapons that are comparable to the Ork counterpart then what does it matter?

I'm starting a Dark Eldar army, and because sometimes I do get the urge to enter tournaments, I'll be restricting any modifications to GW models. For example the Reaper will have grisly trophies, but rather than use third party bits I will be using Vampire Counts Corpse Cart bits.

It's a shame, and a far cry from the late eighties, early nineties where making use of non GW products was actively encouraged. The hobbyist aspect of the game has been squashed out by GW over the years. I hope with the next Ork codex they don't fill all the gaps, it's nice having to improvise (For me at least), although my Wazdakka is totally illegal by tournament standards

Librarian

I recently painted up two of the larger demons that reaper makes in the bones series and they fit right in. One example was "Agramon pit fiend" fit right in as a demon prince I mad him some warp forge armour using plate pieces from the FW renegade etched brass pack, gave him a 60mm base, and hes off!

Quote Originally Posted by Katharon View Post
    As long as everything is WYSIWYG and not a model made to take advantage of smaller size, then yeah its fine in my book.
    Same here. Especially for Chaos, weapons and models are so varied in appearance that I don't see a problem as long as it's not designed to take advantage of a larger or smaller base size or footprint, or a different overall size. So if you do use any outside sources for minis, you should try to be as faithful to the target model's size as possible.

Veteran-Sergeant
    The Phalanx (Royal Berkshire, Great Britain)

I use pig-iron helmets on my scouts, and some maxmimi terminator shoulder pads, but thats about it. The funny thing is I got both those ideas from GW as they featured models with those conversions on their daily picture feature.
    "Give me a hundred Space Marines. Failing that, give me a thousand other troops."

They have no one but themselves to blame for third party armies becoming more common, killing the official tournament system should have removed any requirements at all with regard to using GW only. I can't comprehend stores that still enforce a GW only or any % GW rule, so long as it's clear what the model is meant to be then I'd play against almost anything.

Veteran-Sergeant

Hell, I'm poor. Proxy whatever you want with whatever you want as long as we're both clear on what's what. Glue some el-cheapo plastic army men to 25mm bases for your army for all I care. Playing the game in a casual setting shouldn't require hundreds of dollars. Unless it's a GW event with GW regs, of course.
    "Tothe" rhymes with "cloth."

Battle-Brother

Already planning on adding some Deadzone models to my ork army. Hell that is one of the main reason I kickstarted it.

I'm still too new to the hobby to venture into that "deep end" of the pool. So far everything has been GW. That said, I'm getting far enough along to appreciate what others have done with proxies and customization. One day, one day...
    I have no fear of drowning; it's the breathing that's taking all this work.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast