BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Would you use non-GW models in your army?

Voters
204. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES: I like a little visual variety in my collection

173 84.80%
  • NO: Thats just not kosher

31 15.20%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

I don't so much mind if bits and stuff from other manufacturers are involved, but whole outright figs is just obnoxious, as I like to be able to look across the table, and have a pretty good idea of what something is without having to ask about it.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by YorkNecromancer View Post
    Cadian heads are second only to Nagash in their ugliness. Stupid, ugly helmets and disproportionately large baby heads. Ugh.
    Whoa whoa whoa, those helmets are Starship Troopers helmets.

I'll agree on the proportions though. I also find it silly that all Cadians and Space Marine Scouts look exactly the same.

Brother-Sergeant

Never had an issue with it. If it's WYSIWYG, then all is kosher.

For WFB yes
    ( cheaper, and better looking zombies )

For 40k No
    ( GW just rocks out the goodness)

Quote Originally Posted by ersatzgnomes View Post
    I don't so much mind if bits and stuff from other manufacturers are involved, but whole outright figs is just obnoxious, as I like to be able to look across the table, and have a pretty good idea of what something is without having to ask about it.
    [url]http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/product/penal-guard-10-man-resin-squad[/url]
    So how would you feel about these? They have weapons that are easily identifiable as lasguns, and also look the part for a unit that actually doesnt have a GW kit.

Chapter-Master

I think bitz and full models are two seperate issues.
    I don't like the idea of full models for scale, base size whatever reasons. but 3rd party heads or whatever *shrugs*

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

The GW store near me employs the 75% rule. 75% of the total army had better be GW. I pretty much use that as a guide, but I do use other models to modify my figs. If SCULPTING your own is totally legit, then using parts from other modellers who have the skills to do what I wish to do, should be just as legit. Head swaps, great coats, weapon swaps, vehicles... IF I use a figure that is not GW, I try to GW it up with parts and pieces so that it isn't obvious. I also happen to have several pieces of prototypes that did not make it into the GW inventory, including one of the original Trygon models (which closely matches the epic model upon which it was based.) My prototype Malefactor actually looks BETTER than the kit model that eventually came out. My mycetic spores are made from plasma bug model kits from the Starship troopers game and they look GREAT. There are plenty of greater deamon models that fit perfectly into the game and come from other sculptors.

If it looks cool and is easily identifiable, I am all for it. I use a variety of companies for mods (heads, bodies etc.) and some models straight out. No one has complained at a tournament yet, though I do most of my playing in the basement.

I am fine with non-GW models as long as they are easily identifiable as what they are meant to represent.

honestly i think is cool to have non gw models in your army if it fits the theme and rules of your army (WYSIWYG of course) i think these other companies that make models that fit into 40k or fantasy help GW make better models themselves...my 2 cents anyways

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast