BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: Would you use non-GW models in your army?

Voters
204. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES: I like a little visual variety in my collection

173 84.80%
  • NO: Thats just not kosher

31 15.20%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

My belief has always been "if they won't make the model, why should i be penalized for converting?" I recently got a Harlan Versh from War Machines because its an awesome model that says "Hi. Im an Inquisitor" and the fact that theres only 3 currently produced models for an HQ that literally has thousands of ways to gear and no models for any of the gear? That said, most of my non GW stuff is mostly bits, but its mostly because its stuff that they simply won't make (like easy to get carapace armor) or stuff that simply does not exist (like half of the original DE line and most of the tyranid stuff!) Ive used non GW helmets and rifles for my Vespid/ Boba Fett Auxiliaries conversion, i have tons of maxi mini melta guns, roman "skirts" and head crests for my Ultras, and i use a mantic forge father canon for my Thunderfire because $50 for a tiny mini is too much. I plan on using Victoria miniatures to make a lovely cold one or motorcycle Praetorian rough riders, because current rough riders are lame and extremely overpriced.

Veteran-Sergeant

I for one hunger for diversity. I can't wait for my Toughest Girls in the Galaxy Jailbirds to come in to add them to some Catachans.

The women of the 41st millennium need to be given some spotlight, Lt. Mira from Space Marine comes to mind. If GW or FW doesn't want to represent some kicks *** women, then I have to look elsewhere, what's a hobbyist to do, convert wyches?

Brother-Sergeant

Fight the Power!

If you can make the model WYSIWYG and there is no question what the model is and the size is similar GO FOR IT!

I use quite a few Reaper minis for my Dwarves because their characters are much cooler and they have female dwarves.

For 40k I have NO problem with people using non GW models but they must be similar in size and have to be sci ti. No Mr Potato Head stompas please.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Ursa View Post
    No Mr Potato Head stompas please.
    Some of the best Ork Stompas I've seen are modeled on the Mr. Potato Head toy. Why do you not like it? If its well done, the conversion looks downright BAMF.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

So long as it's not confusing during play and it's roughly the right size, by all means proxy what you like. It's a very expensive hobby. If you're not using official models, that's GW's problem, not mine.

EDIT: That said, I voted 'no' in the poll above because it seems to be phrased as to whether I will use proxy models, rather than whether I care if my opponent does.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullchewer View Post
    So far 10 have voted against, but not stated why they are against it. I'm curious as to why people would have a problem with it.
    The poll says would you use non-GW minis in your army, not whether you'd have a problem with someone else doing it. Most likely that.

I use 1/35th scale M2 Bradley's for my Chimeras and use a different 1/35th scale vehicle for the Cmd section.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullchewer View Post
    Unfortunately my army is not considered eligible for tournaments at my local gaming club, as they insist on at least 75% GW models.
    This I think is total BS. I have no issues with GW (or PP or anyone else) insisting that the tournies they fund use only their stuff or scratch built as in sculpted yourself. But a persentage. It should be either GW only or open slather...

Quote Originally Posted by generalchaos34 View Post
    I plan on using Victoria miniatures to make a lovely cold one or motorcycle Praetorian rough riders, because current rough riders are lame and extremely overpriced.
    Has she got the legs and lances back up on the site?

Brother-Captain

If you're looking to field a lot of Rough Riders, then I would point you towards the [url=http://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?products_id=2397]Perry Twins.[/url] That first link or a horde of their Napoleonic cavalry models would look awesome. In fact, once I get around to saving money for it, I plan to make three squads of Rough Riders from Perry's models.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast