BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Starting 40k all over again

Hello,

I have not played 40k since Chaos Space marines 6th codex came out. The price, the content, and generaly my already torn Iron warriors army from 5th ed. I liked the background, allthough I wrote my own for my own army (was mandatory in tournaments I assisted 6-7 years ago).
    Also I broke down when I has just finished gluing the weapon options on my leman russ from forgeworld (allies for GK) and the day after that the FAQ changing the rules of the Leman Russ turned my inneficient Battle Cannon + dual Plasma LR to the most useless tank I've seen since CSM Rihno with possesed driver in 4th.

Now, after a couple of years without playing a box apeared at my LGS that shocked me. The Iyanden spectral warrior box. It's the army I planned on having just before 5th ed. CSM codex appeared, but the 1000$ price tag turned me into grey knights. I've seen the box, seems fun, until I get wiped out the table in turn 1, So I've made an army list, with most of the models I like (that would be the main reason to come back to 40k), I'd like to know what you think of it :

Using Codex: Eldar w/Iyanden Suplement

Spirit seer w/spirit stone of anth'lan 85
    Illic nightspear 140
    10 Wraithguards w/D-scythes 420
    5 wraithguards/wraithblades 160
    wraithlord Scatter laser + Starcannon 160
    wraithknight w/suncannon & scatter laser 300

Allies : Codex Imperial guard (just using my DKoK models, I still keep them :P)
    Commisar w/camouflage 80
    Veteran squad w/1x plasma rifle 85
    manticore 160

Illic is to be glued on top of the wraithknight, and I'll have something else proxy for it. I believe Illic brings the 10 D-scythes closer to the enemy and for that reason I'm taking him, otherwise a regular farseer would be there.

opinions? is it bad? is it worth it?, or am I going to get wiped out of the table every time? I'ts been so long since I played, I don't even know If this has a chance or not ><!

Eldar are awesome! Now that we got that out of the way, here´s´my 2 cents...

- They FAQ´d the "Infiltrate in the midst of your enemy with Illic" -rule, so check it out. I think it´s normal Infiltration now, if Illic is the only model with that ability...
    - D-Scythes rock! Just beware T5-->up, cos you´ll gonna need those sixes to wound (i once got hit with BA bikes, and 5 WG didn´t last long...)
    - I would´t take Wraithblades, if Eldar are in CC, the jig is already up...
    - Wraithlords (IMHO) could also go with dual Brightlances (you don´t have anything for high AV)
    - Allies, i hope you got Vendetta/Valkyrie, cos that´s the mealticket in IG, if you don´t, forget the allies and get some Wave Serpents...

- Lost Vyper
    "WHAT KIND OF A PEACE
    DO I HAVE WITH A DESTROYER"

A friend explained to me the Illic rule status. There is no oficial FAQ, but it's players concensus that you only get to infiltrate, I'll check that with my LGS, I would rather have a farseer if he's useless in my army.

6's are fine, since distorsion makes up for it, I've seen 5 take 2 trigons in one turn. ( perfectly aligned trygons, one must add)

Was thinking of wraithblades with 4+ invul, just to give them that extra survival rate, being that they are only 5 ( 2k army, would most certainly see that up to 10, probably regular wraithguards)

I have seen few tanks arround my area these days, manticore is there just in case, but i believe S6 is good enough, some have told me to run the wraithknight stock, but the Inv. seems mandatory and the Suncannon seems effective.

Allies is just what I own, I feel the eldar fighter is better than the vendetta, and I'm really taking IG for the manticore blasts + the objective camping veterans, also, because i'm not planning in getting any more stuff than the new eldar box, at least till I get some paint on them.
    Wave serpents.... I just don't like the falcon asthetics, the new fire prism is really nice, but I find the serpent a bit boxy, plus 10 man squads of egg-heads don't fit in a serpent.

I should try the army ( and, at this point, the game) see I if I would actually have fun with that, and not have the awfull experience I had with Iron Warrirors in their last days of existance. I'm all for winning and loosing by skills, and strategy, and allthough all games require a certain amount of though during list building, it has been my experience that one will only win on a constant basis if he is a good player.

I'm still unsure about 40k, when I played 6th ed, i found the game quite apealing, and won games with GK despite not having a super-competitive army ( essentially, one of each unit, because I liked the models). I played a pairs tournament in late october with a friends and we were fooled by the others because we hadn't played 40k in a while /a tank wreck (no explosion) can not be crossed, because it is the size of the model, a rihno in that case, so yeah, they blocked the way to the objective/... so there's a couple of guys that I won't be playing against...

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Vyper View Post
    I would´t take Wraithblades, if Eldar are in CC, the jig is already up...
    I would disagree on Wraith Blades. Probably not something you should pin your hopes on but with the shields and axes, they're bloody durable and can hit quite hard. They can really roll up enemy squads with that T6, 3+/4+inv. and S7 AP2 weapons. CC focused armies in 6th are dead in the water, but it still has a role in mid-game and counter-assault. Anyway, I like them. YMMV.
    Last edited by knas ser; 12-06-2013 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by evil-the-crusade View Post
    Hello,

I have not played 40k since Chaos Space marines 6th codex came out. The price, the content, and generaly my already torn Iron warriors army from 5th ed. I liked the background, allthough I wrote my own for my own army (was mandatory in tournaments I assisted 6-7 years ago).
    Also I broke down when I has just finished gluing the weapon options on my leman russ from forgeworld (allies for GK) and the day after that the FAQ changing the rules of the Leman Russ turned my inneficient Battle Cannon + dual Plasma LR to the most useless tank I've seen since CSM Rihno with possesed driver in 4th.

Now, after a couple of years without playing a box apeared at my LGS that shocked me. The Iyanden spectral warrior box. It's the army I planned on having just before 5th ed. CSM codex appeared, but the 1000$ price tag turned me into grey knights. I've seen the box, seems fun, until I get wiped out the table in turn 1, So I've made an army list, with most of the models I like (that would be the main reason to come back to 40k), I'd like to know what you think of it :

Using Codex: Eldar w/Iyanden Suplement

Spirit seer w/spirit stone of anth'lan 85
    Illic nightspear 140
    10 Wraithguards w/D-scythes 420
    5 wraithguards/wraithblades 160
    wraithknight w/suncannon & scatter laser 300

Allies : Codex Imperial guard (just using my DKoK models, I still keep them :P)
    Commisar w/camouflage 80
    Veteran squad w/1x plasma rifle 85
    manticore 160

Illic is to be glued on top of the wraithknight, and I'll have something else proxy for it. I believe Illic brings the 10 D-scythes closer to the enemy and for that reason I'm taking him, otherwise a regular farseer would be there.

opinions? is it bad? is it worth it?, or am I going to get wiped out of the table every time? I'ts been so long since I played, I don't even know If this has a chance or not ><!
    Well come back dude! Glad another joins the Craftworld! So I have been playing Iyanden for 3 months with 10 games and here is a few tips for you.
    Get a wave serpent to accompany the Wraithguards,They use D-Scythes and that thing is nasty! So get a 5 squad and ride them inside a wave serpent with TL Scat las and Holofield (add Spirit stone for more survivability but if you dont want too use this then no prob!) I have use wraithblades before and they arent very effective in games,You need to have an autarch to accompany them or dont use them at all,but that falls to you. Spiritseer should go bare bones,he already have a sweet weapon and stats for a cheap HQ.Wraithlord should change their starcannon for Brightlance (the High Strength anti Tank weapon) The scatter laser from Wraithlord should make you re roll the Bright lance because of Laser Lock rule.

I dont really know on IG,better bring some Heavy weapons team to back your advance

The key unit is actually wraithguard,wraithknight,and wave serpents. Keep blowing up vehicle with re rollable bright lance and pop infantry with wave serpent and d-scythe! that should do it!.And keep the enemy focus on wraithknight,that beast is a walking behemoth in blowing tanks and infantry,his suncannon could kill hoards in a few shot.

Good luck dude! and have fun