BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Transport question

1)Since my main army was always tyranids, and im waiting for the new dex i decided to build up an IG force, i just never was very familiar with embarking disembarking and my question is can a unit start the game in a transport thats not dedicated (eg; a vet squad in a vendetta/valk) ??

2)also just out of curiosity and some what unrelated, if you decide to bring an inquisitor lord from DH and he say takes a landraider ded. trans is that legal??? all i see in my book is no heavy supports, not dedicated heavys(which arent hvy's)

3)and one last thing is am i correct in saying dedicated transports arent technically dedicated, they can carry other units? and if so can those units start in it as per question 1

thanks

Can I suggest moving this to the Rules forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistermind View Post
    1)Since my main army was always tyranids, and im waiting for the new dex i decided to build up an IG force, i just never was very familiar with embarking disembarking and my question is can a unit start the game in a transport thats not dedicated (eg; a vet squad in a vendetta/valk) ??
    Essentially yes. No rule explicitly says you can do so, so every so often the question crops up. Most people play that you can start in non-dedicated transports, though. Their basis for that in the rulebook is the wording of the dedicated transport rules on page 67 of the rulebook, which seem to assume that units can start the game in non-dedicated transports.

2)also just out of curiosity and some what unrelated, if you decide to bring an inquisitor lord from DH and he say takes a landraider ded. trans is that legal??? all i see in my book is no heavy supports, not dedicated heavys(which arent hvy's)
    Yes, you can absolutely do that (c.f. the [url=http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m470041a_FAQ_ImperialGuard_2009.pdf]FAQ[/url], which allows you to take an infantry squad and its dedicated transport as allies). On a somewhat unrelated note, remember that a dedicated transport is the same FoC choice type as its parent unit (see rulebook page 87). So if an inquisitor lord (an HQ unit) takes a Land Raider as a dedicated transport, that Land Raider is also an HQ unit (though it doesn't count towards your limit of HQ FoC choices). It's possible, and absolutely fine, for some armies to have the option of taking the exact same model in more than one way (as a 'nid player, for example, you could take a 110-point carnifex as a Heavy Support unit, even though you could also take that exact same carnifex as an Elites unit instead).

3)and one last thing is am i correct in saying dedicated transports arent technically dedicated, they can carry other units? and if so can those units start in it as per question 1
    No, and no. "Dedicated transport" is a lot less restrictive than in 4th edition, but it still has some restrictions. Unless a codex says otherwise, a dedicated transport can carry any unit after the game begins, but the only unit that can start in a dedicated transport is the unit it is "dedicated" to (see page 67). So for instance, if you have an inquisitor lord with a dedicated Land Raider transport, that Land Raider can only start the game either empty or carrying the inquisitor lord's unit. During the game, the Land Raider could carry other units, though.

Back in 4th edition, a dedicated transport could only ever carry the unit it was "dedicated" to. So for example, the inquisitor lord's Land Raider could not carry some other unit during the course of the game, not even if the inquisitor lord's unit was dead. That's the big change to dedicated transports between 4th and 5th editions.
    Last edited by Nabterayl; 12-02-2009 at 03:50 PM.

Chapter-Master

Sinistermind....

Next time you have a 40K rules question, please, do the right thing... Ask it in the Fantasy News and Rumors forum.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Chapter-Master

On top of what Nab said, there are two important points to make about DH dedicated transports.

1. Inquisitorial Land Raiders are not taken from the heavy support slot. They do not have PotMS, as the FAQ only give PotMS to "Grey Knight Land Raiders". There is a difference.

2. The Daemonhunter codex follows the old Dedicated Transport rules. Dedicated Transports from our codex may only be used by the unit that purchased them, regardless of what the BRB rules are.

See what we GK players have to deal with?
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Also worth noting that the IA2 version of the inquisitorial Land Raider does have Power of the Machine Spirit (though it doesn't update the DH dedicated transport rules).

Veteran-Sergeant

But why would the ded. transport rules in there dex be any different since they use the universal rules that are current, theres no special rules for them in their dex. not like it matters if i did this i would keep the codex DH unit in it anyways

Chapter-Master

Codex rules override BRB rules, and all ded. transports in the DH codex explicitly state that they cannot be used by any unit other than the one that purchased them.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Guess the DH don't want mud dragged into their rides. Most armies have the sense not to bother with shag pile carpets when they know they're going to a battlefield, but you can't deny that Inquisitors have class.

Chapter-Master

We even have brass knuckles that leave imprints of the =I= symbol