BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I think all bar the Culexus and Vindicare have a role to play.

Eversor: A straightforward killing machine, equally adept at ripping apart T4 infantry (has a poisioned power weapon essentially, hence re-rolls to wound on T4 or less) or killing MC's (his I5 and large number of attacks mean even Greater Daemons should be worried). Outflank has breathed new life into him, it's caught more than one player off guard (he has a 12" charge range) when he's arrived on their flank and eaten a Devastator squad etc.

Callidus: More a precision weapon, she's really only suited to picking on T4 characters/heavy infantry. Her real bonus is 'A Word In Your Ear', which can be game-changing. Essentially, the Callidus lets you pick an enemy infantry unit and kill them with total impunity. She is very vulnerable to ganking in combat (unlike Eversor she doesnt cause enough wounds to win combat decisively), so pick your target carefully.

Death-Cult: At the same price as a Terminator, you ditch the 2+ armour and any ranged attacks for Infiltrate, more attacks and I5. Used correctly (ie grouped together), they make the Eversor and Callidus much more dangerous. Infiltrating them en-masse at a set target is both effective and hilarious; each Assassin has to be shot individually (yes, that does suck in 'Annhilation', but my gaming group largely plays objective missions for that precise reasons ie KP's are retarded), and each Assassins pumps out 4 x S4 power weapon attacks on the charge. They also each resolve Sweeping Advance seperately.
    Do not Outflank them, unless you've got some powerful reserve bonuses (IG Astropaths, Varro Tigerious etc). Their key to success is as support to an Eversor or Callidus. They can let the Death-Cult clear out the chaff (ie retinues, attached squad, big infantry units), while he/she goes for the character or MC.

Veteran-Sergeant

This thread is convincing me to possibly play around with an Eversor assassin. Though the model is annoying.

I have a quick Callidus question:

For the Neural Shredder do you use the LD that the unit currently has or the default LD?
    example: ork slugga ldr 7 but is in a Mob with 15 boyz. Is his Ld 7 or 10 for the effects of the Shredder?

Taking 3 Death Cult Assassins, deploying them seperately and ahead of you main force is a good way to give you cover saves for the units behind.

I found last ed, they were the best of the Assassins to take for the above reason, but with the enemy being forced to take target priority checks to shoot other units, or keeping them close together, and making the enemy use 3 units to try and wipe them out.

Now I'm not sure which Assassin works best now, I still have a soft spot for the Vindicare and Eversor though

Quote Originally Posted by Astrothumps View Post
    I have a quick Callidus question:

For the Neural Shredder do you use the LD that the unit currently has or the default LD?
    example: ork slugga ldr 7 but is in a Mob with 15 boyz. Is his Ld 7 or 10 for the effects of the Shredder?
    I'm fairly sure that the mob rule is only for morale tests, and not for leadership based tests.

I love the idea of snipers in 40K in general even if that 4+ to wound most of the time is not really reliable, but I think the ability of the Vindicare to hit lone models is pretty powerful (when it works) and just really cool in general. I play orks like the original poster, but when I'm just watching my friends play I always ask one of the Imperiium players to field his Vindicare and just let me play that 1 model... it brings me such joy and my excitement really amuses them, we all have a good time and hey, that's what should all be about!

Just thought I might add that due to a recent FAQ which declares the neural shredder a single handed weapon, the Callidus gets the +1 bonus for additional close combat weapon, thus granting 5 attacks on the charge. Not bad at all!

Default Vindicaires are fun

I've had various successes with my Vindicaire Assassin.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, having him pick off powerfist wielding sergeants or special weapons is incredibly effective, and scares the bejeezus out of your opponent. I've saved various important parts of my army by sniping threats from across the board.

However, much like any unit which gets the reputation of "Uh Oh! Not an [insert unit here]!" he tends to get a lot of attention, which I use to my advantage, as he can be used to bait units out of the opponents battle line into the jaws of my Assault units...

Having any unit that can, in the new wound allocation system accurately pcik of exactly the model you want is extremely useful.

I would use Assassins more as allies in my Imperial Guard army if I did not have to take an Inquisitor lord to enable me to take the assassin. I don't want to spend that many points on non guard stuff.

The assassin that is of the least use to me is the Vindicare assassin. One sniper shot a turn doesnt seem worth the points you spend.

Don't know about the other assassins as I don't use them, but the Callidus at least has 5 attacks on the charge, since the neural shredder counts as a one handed weapon per the FAQ.

In the few games I've played, the Callidus has consistently earned her points back, although she does die rather easily once she takes out the unit she's been sent against...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast