BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I play Sisters of Battle.

So my Lord of War hard counter....is to play Warmachine

Quote Originally Posted by tremere47 View Post
    I play Sisters of Battle.

So my Lord of War hard counter....is to play Warmachine
    Or pray for first turn and the luckiest ******* Exorcist rolls ever.

Counter's to lords of war? I cant see many good counters in a 2000pts list to my Reaver (which is take-able)

For my Tau, I am thinking either...

Shadow sun with her done + 6 Stealthsuits with two Fusions Blasters.
    Have a Tetra near the SHV so the unit can deep strike without scattering.
    Bring her and the team down within 9" of the LoW.
    Use Tetra MLs to boost BS for the unit, which get to re-roll ones from Shadowsun's drone.
    That's 4 effectively TL Melta shots. with 4 Burst Cannon Stealth Suits as ablative wounds.

...or...

Commander Crisis w/ No Cover Saves & TLing upgrades attached to a 3 man Elite slot crisis team with dual wielded Fusion Blasters.
    Again use Tetra for ML support and no scatter deep striking.
    That's 6 TL Melta shots with ignore cover.

...or fuse the ideas...

Commander Crisis w/ No Cover Saves & TLing upgrades, the 3 man crisis team as above but now with target locks too, and Shadowsun, again with Tetra support.
    That's 8 TL, No Cover Meltas at good BS.

Added benefit of Shadowsun's prescense is that they all gain Stealth, Shrouded and assault jump 3D6" each time, so if you do take the target out, they can still be of use against other armour/TEQs/artillery units etc with a 4+ cover in the open which is as good a s shield gen but can be boosted with terrain.

MCs should also be a doodle with that set up.

Maybe throw in the Puretide Engram on your Cmdr Crisis if you are hopeful he will live on so they can really screw with MC and AV targets after the fact.

Points wise its going to come in 500+, but its a solid unit that can do a lot more than just bust a Lord of War.

It's the best I can think of as I do not fancy spamming Railheads.

Plus, I already have these elements in my now standardise TAC list, so it will be easy for me to trial this approach.

But I'll only get the one shot at it - they are toast after that and I will have no hope.

A force of FMCs will usually do the trick against most superheavies, as most superheavies don't skyfire and none can overwatch. Just takes 1 to lock a super-walker in combat and smash it to death over the course of a couple turns, and against tanks vs rear armor it's pretty much screwed. Of course the FMC will most likely bite it when the Apoc Megablast erupts after that last hull point goes. Fun times!

Chaplain

Vis a Vis protecting your capital asset, you don't surround it, you screen it. So 4 10 man units supported by mobile heavy which prevent a straight march to the target. If your squads are 6"out in single file with the mobile heavy at front and back that means any attack by fearsome melta dudes is going to be a lot more tricky. As I understand it pods usually scatter which means you have to move round the screen to get close for your double tap melta hit. Can't run and assault, difficult to run and shoot and once the turn is up they shoot back.

Example: I game Eldar - 4 x squads plus heavies, 2 x 11 man Guardian sqd 99 pts each, 2 x 10 man Storm Guardian with fusion, 110 pts each. 2 x Falcon at the Front with Scatter Laser & Shuriken Cannon & Holofield 300pt and 2 Walkers at back Scatter Laser and Flak Missile 180 pts.

I don't know the rules for drop pods but I don't think you can land it between the troops and the asset. And do you still need to test to ignore a closer target in Ed' 6 ?

If the Drop Pod model can fit between the screeners and the Titan with 1" between them, then the drop pod can land there, and will stick whether it Hits or Scatters (due to those Inertial Dampeners/Guidance things). The question is then can the dudes inside disembark and still fit that space without being 1" from the Eldar stuff. I'm pretty sure models in the Pod must disembark when they arrive (those open doors are ignored for proximity purposes).

If it was a Dreadclaw full of Havocs or Obliterators and they scattered, then they'd be screwed.
    Last edited by Lord Krungharr; 12-27-2013 at 05:14 PM.

Battle-Brother

I'm still trying to figure out how to get PK nobz close enough to these guys to try and do some damage.... I mean kill tanks and stompas will do the trick but without taking a super heavy myself things seem a little daunting.

Chaplain

Can't Nobz deep strike in or something? Give some of them something shooty or combi rokkets for that first turn and then blast away. Of course they have to survive a round of shooting and hope that no one wants to assault them. But I vaguely remember a nutter that included a Mek in the nob mob with a force field.

Veteran-Sergeant

10 man squad of BA vanguard vets with 4x storm shield and melta bombs. their heroic intervention allows them to charge after deep striking, descent of angels means 1D6 scatter and by not arriving turn 1 the rest of the BAs should have done some dings into the bubble wrap.

not a sure thing for sure, but might be the heroic deed those guys are famous for.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123