BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default lord of war hard counter

This may seam rather obvious but 10 stern guard in a pod with combi meltas can destroy almost any lord of war in a turn or come so close as yo make it easy for the rest of your army to finish it off. And wile such a squad costs almost as much as a lord of war itself it is still use full in a wide veriaty of situations and do sent hand your opponent VP's when killed. Furthermore there is little that can be done about it without interseptor. dose anyone else think this or some other unit will become common if esscelation takes off?

I really think that most players who bring in a Superheavy will bubble-wrap it with infantry. Thus, Turn 1 drops are not going to be able to get within meltagun range of it. Maybe if you bring several pods, hold the Sternguard for later, and shoot Thunderfires to clear out the infantry first, but now you're relying on several steps to work properly. In many cases, with a SH, I might even bring Coteaz with a shooty squad (say, 3 MM Servitors and 3 Plasmagun Acolytes and 6 storm bolter Acolytes) to use his I've Been Expecting You ability to intercept short-range drops near the SH. Good players aren't just going to bring a 500+ pt investment that is weak to being assaulted and to melta drops, and not provide a screen for it.

Superheavys are big placing a 6" bubble around it takes a lot of troops and means a vary thin bubble

Most (If not all?) LoW are past the 500 point mark. If you can take it out with less than that you're way ahead of the game. I do think a Melta'd-out Sternguard Squad would make a fantastic counter to almost all except the Super Heavy flyers. (For obvious reasons.)

It is true, though, that you can't just plop down a superheavy or gargantuan creature and cackle at how invincible your lord of war is. Just like any big, powerful model, you have to support it properly or a dedicated hunter unit will take it apart with ease.

If you can make God bleed, then he is no longer God.

I love a squad of Vanguard vets armed with combi meltas and a heavy flamer or two. Not much that gets to survive that. Great for spanking vehicals and blobs of infantry.

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by interrogator_chaplain View Post
    If you can make God bleed, then he is no longer God.
    What happens if he is just a puny god?
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Daemon-Prince

Ya the lords of war other then the Tyranid ones seem like jokes......Most monsters can rip one apart before it has a chance.
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by White Tiger88 View Post
    Ya the lords of war other then the Tyranid ones seem like jokes......Most monsters can rip one apart before it has a chance.
    good luck doing that with a Revenant... you'll just plain die before you even reach him, which you won't in any case because of its ridiculous mobility
    or a Lord of Skulls, which will just plain kill you in Assault...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast