BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Default The Ridiculous List To Show That Escalation Should Be An Expansion

Greetings to my fellow BoLS forum folk. So, due to the release of Escalation, the crazy-mind bending arguments surrounding it, and the recent news that GW will be allowing it in their Throne of Skulls and other tournaments (that they only host at Warhammer World) -- my own local gaming community has been beset by the same craze. Debates are still flaring and getting hairier all the time.

Now let me be perfectly clear: I think Escalation should be considered an Expansion. A stand-alone expansion pack for people that love Apoc but can never find the time to play in a game or never find enough people to partake of the legendary fun and destruction. It is, as most things are in this game we all love to hate and hate to love, optional.

Why do I think this? Because of the following list. My local gaming community believes that we should include Lords of War (Escalation) into the regular tournaments we routinely have going. Others (such as myself) have dissenting opinions. If you want to have an Escalated Warhammer 40K League (I'm coining that term, "escalated") then you are more than welcome to do so; however it shall not stain the tabletop of the regular Warhammer 40K tournaments and games. If it's a casual game between two consenting players -- go wild, do whatever you want. But the moment we automatically begin including Lords of War into the regular tournament gaming arena then we'll begin the long and painful road that Magic the Gathering took: pay to win.

So, in all its horrific glory, here is the list I devised to show just how imbalanced Lords of War makes regular 40K. (Side note: thank you ForgeWorld for making this list possible.)

Primary Detachment - Codex: Inquisition
    Allied Detachment - Imperial Armor Volume 1 - Second Edition: Imperial Armored Battle Group

HQ

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor [25]

Troops

Inquisitorial Henchmen Squad #1 [12]
    • 3 x Acolytes

Inquisitorial Henchmen Squad #2 [12]
    • 3 x Acolytes

Lord of War

Reaver Titan [1,450]
    • Gatling Blaster
    • Volcano Cannon
    • Vulcan Mega-Bolter

[Cut off here for 1,500 Point Games]

Allies: Armored Battle Group

Company Command Tank [195]
    • Leman Russ Vanquisher
    • Beast Hunter Shells
    • Hull Lascannon

Leman Russ Battle Squadron #1 [155]
    • Leman Russ Vanquisher

[Cut off here for 1,850 Point Games]
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

I'd remove all reference to "tournament play" the point you make stands in casual weekly games just as well.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Daemon-Prince

So we kill your troops and lock the titan in combat with a horde of nurgleings?
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

Banned

Not that scary - superheavy walkers can be locked in HtH now, so getting something like hammernators or even a IG/Ork blob into base to base will shut the Reaver down and then it's game over for the Inquisitor.

Also if you really want to be a jerk it's better to equip a reaver with twin lasblasters and either a plasma blastgun or turbolasers on the carapace.
    Also also the vulcan mega bolter sucks.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by White Tiger88 View Post
    If you ever get that close.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthammer View Post
    Not that scary - superheavy walkers can be locked in HtH now, so getting something like hammernators or even a IG/Ork blob into base to base will shut the Reaver down and then it's game over for the Inquisitor.
    Again, if you can get close enough. It won't be that easy, especially with the pie plates that Stomp puts down.

Also if you really want to be a jerk it's better to equip a reaver with twin lasblasters and either a plasma blastgun or turbolasers on the carapace.
    I'll take 6 large blast template blasts with Primary Weapon, matched with a D-weapon on the side dishing out Massive blasts to take out the stubborn things, over the combo you mention. More pie plates means more stuff will get hit and less time trying to hunt down smart people who would spread out (deployment and first turn shooting are really important).

Also also the vulcan mega bolter sucks.
    You kidding me? They are great at mob-control and killing anything with Marine armor or worse.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by White Tiger88 View Post
    Stomp, nurglings are dead, what next?

and thats only if the titan doesn't move and shoot the nurglings to oblivion before they even get close
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Banned

Trust me, a Titan with no support against an equal amount of points goes down - because it won't just be one unit vs one unit, it'll be a single titan against an entire other army. And ok, titans can stomp - so don't charge it and stand 1" away and shoot meltaguns into it. Reavers can't move very far due to their huge footprint so it is effectively a stationary gun platform - block it's LoS with terrain and just avoid it - the Inquisitor and his goons are basically ignorable for the purposes of manoeuvring.

Or use flyers since it'll have a lot of trouble shooting them down. And even if a unit in HtH only lasts one turn, that's possibly a fifth of the game the Reaver isn't shooting, which basically gives your army a free go.

I do acknowledge the VMB is not completely terrible now, forgot they'd bumped it to AP3 now >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Gotthammer View Post
    I do acknowledge the VMB is not completely terrible now, forgot they'd bumped it to AP3 now >.<
    It's also the only titan weapon that can shoot at planes.

It's been AP3 since at least 2008...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast