BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Necrons vs. 3x Hellturkeys

I played in our local tournament as the "ringer" against anyone who got a bye round. I was tasked with bringing a "fun to play against list" - not the normal Necron Beat-stick lists.

HQ
    - Necron Overlord, Warscythe, Mindshackle Scarabs, Sempiternal Weave, Resurrection Orb
    Royal Court
    - Lord, Warscythe, Mindshackle Scarabs, Resurrection Orb
    - Lord, Hyperphase Sword, Mindshackle Scarabs, Resurrection Orb
    - Lord, Hyperphase Sword, Mindshackle Scarabs, Resurrection Orb
    Troops
    - 20x Warriors
    - 20x Warriors
    - 20x Warriors
    - 20x Warriors
    Heavy Support
    - Monolith
    - Monolith

I was set against a 3x Chaos Hell-Turkey w/Baleflamer list. I spaced every Warrior out 2" for the whole game. Setting up on long table edges 4 rows deep took 5 out of 6 feet of table! Every single player at the tournament was chuckling that the Hell-Turkeys would cut the 4+ save Warriors down like wheat and the game would be over by turn 3.

Vector Strike and Baleflamers together only kept 3 to 4 Warriors down (per Turkey) each round (Reanimation on a 4+ was wa-ay too fun). With proper spacing they always hit just 4-5 Warriors each with their whacky flamers. After turn 2 I ignored the Hell-Turkeys as completely ineffective and hosed everything down with mass Gauss. I used Deep Strike for both Monoliths with fun results (as skimmers they auto-deviate if they land on the enemy).

Toughness 5 w/FNP and heavy 4-legged AV12 vehicles/monsters(I forget their names, they were quickly glanced to death) plus Rhinos melted from 160 Rapid fire Gauss shots walking forward and then being pulled through deep striking Monoliths.

By dice-down at the end of turn 5 I lost less than 30 Warriors and 1 Monolith. All 50+ remaining Warriors and Monolith were in the enemy deployment zone and there were only 7 Chaos troops and 2 Rhinos left on the table - all within rapid fire range of everything - Mindshackle Scarab wielding Lords and Overlords were a great deterrent (he only tried that once and rolled a 16 on 3d6 vs. his 10 leadership).

The Chaos Player was in a bit of denial and the hard-core tourney players were suddenly all sagely nodding their heads as if they had expected the results...
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ T. Pratchett

Iron Father

Brilliant battle report, fun to read and amusing result. Thanks for sharing
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

No worries - Happy to share!

There was a general announcement at the top of turn 2 when all 3 Hell-Turkeys came on together - followed by chuckling and shaking heads throughout the room...

The downed Warriors got back up, and row upon row upon row of Warriors just kept walking forward.... Priceless!
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ T. Pratchett

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstorm View Post
    I used Deep Strike for both Monoliths with fun results (as skimmers they auto-deviate if they land on the enemy).
    They only move off when forced to land on a unit when moving. Deep Striking isn't moving, skimmers don't all get 'Drop Pod' rules. I have no idea why they removed that rule from the Monolith, but sadly that's how it is.

That aside, sounds brilliant, got to love the mass of robo-zombies marching forward, blasting everything with green radiation lightning.

No worries - I didn't have any issues with landing on units in the game - The Skimmer Deep strike rule is just a bonus

BRB pg 124: Reserves
    Described multiple times as moving

BRB pg 36: Deep Strike
    "In the Movement phase in which they arrive"

BRB pg 83: Skimmers
    "If a Skimmer is forced to end its move over friendly or enemy models, move the Skimmer the minimum distance so that no models are left underneath it."

Necron Codex: pg 95: Monolith
    "Unit Type: Vehicle (Heavy*, Tank, Skimmer)
    Last edited by Maelstorm; 12-15-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

you mishap before you end your movement phase.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

It didn't occur in the game - it's fun to see that folks would like to play Skimmer rules a different way.

Can you come up with another situation for a Skimmer to end it's turn over another model?

Yeah Im not sure I can think of one. Shocker that GW has funky rules that can be interpreted multiple ways....

Another fun time is spreading those 80 warriors out so his hell turkeys cant land anywhere and smiling as they crash and burn. An Ork player did that to mine...

Brother-Captain

Mawlocs can do it, I'm not sure about other things, I imagine if you have rules for shifting terrain in your games. Either way Deep Striking isn't moving. Reserves is usually moving because the models usually have to move onto the board, but when a model Deep Strikes it's just placed. They count as having moved for the purposes of shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonus View Post
    Yeah Im not sure I can think of one. Shocker that GW has funky rules that can be interpreted multiple ways....

Another fun time is spreading those 80 warriors out so his hell turkeys cant land anywhere and smiling as they crash and burn. An Ork player did that to mine...
    Ahhh - You're correct, I had so many Warriors covering so much of the table I could have easily crashed a Hell-Turkey or at least forced a couple off the table. That would have been priceless!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast