BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

there's not much tweaking of the new rules to make them backwards compatible really. Take sternguard for example, they would have the standard marine profile and (including rapid fire) and then get their special ammunition.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by evilamericorp View Post
    $12.99? That's absurdly expensive. This kind of thing used to be a freebie on their website, or included in White Dwarf. This money-grabbing is getting out of hand.
    it is getting out of hand......
    but they are bringing a lot of codex/ dataplates/ sub games out all in a row so it's not too bad, you don't have to get everything even though it would be nice to have it all!

Quote Originally Posted by eversor6666 View Post
    Another point I love about this format is that it is great for trying out new armies at very limited cost. I took an Ork team for the last one, first time I have ever used orks in a 30 year gaming career.
    This is a great point that shouldn't be understated. I had actually quit 40k about a year ago. Not out of frustration as much as a lack of time, and just didn't get my money's worth out of my purchases. However, Kill Team allows me to build a force for $100 or less, and that includes a codex purchase.

I started a Tau Kill Team, and I can say for certain I never would have considered starting a full Tau army, or ANY full army at this point. Not only that, but a few friends have also decided to pick up some kits and build a kill team because they can do so without the daunting task of paying hundreds of dollars and then have to build and paint dozens of models.

I really hope GW sees the value of a skirmish game like this and expands upon it, or at least eventually offers a physical copy of the Kill team rules, ideally with the core 40k rules needed to play Kill Team included in a single book. It is a great introductory game for new players and for those that want to expand, the option is there. For those like me that like the idea of doing a themed force, but don't want to build a full army, I can just start new Kill Teams when I get some inspiration for a book or new miniature release or whatever.

Was updating the rules pack for my local Killteam event and noticed the following differences.

The latest version gains the following USRs

Infiltrate
    Instant death
    Scout
    Split Fire
    Soul Blaze

In addition Rending is now split into a close combat and shooting version so you can take it twice, sorta.

Poison is 4+ now in stead of 5+

The following USRs have been removed.
    And They Shall now no Fear
    Armourbane
    It Will Not Die
    Jink
    Lance
    Skilled Rider
    Slow and
    Purposeful
    Smash

Most of them out of place in Killteam IMHO anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Boyle View Post
    This ruleset may help with that in some cases (wonkyness like not being able to charge someone if I kill my shooting target with my pistol; it makes sense in the abstraction of regular 40k, but at the kill team scale, which is essentially expanding on the same scenario in regular 40k, I should still be able to charge someone else in the enemy squad if I kill one...) but at the same time it adds a bunch of extra bookkeeping(on fire, have I used grenades, etc.), measuring, and tests(Pinning every time someone nearby dies), and entirely rewrites how terrain works in terms of model placement, cover and movement.

Then there's the army lists, with their mini-HQs, and wider availability of units through things like 2+ saves being allowed, and no vehicles period...

I feel like it's going for something entirely different than GW's Kill Team rules. While they are basically intended to be a cut down version of 40k, while still using the same general rules, so that if you have a grasp of regular 40k you can just pick it up and play, the fan rules are almost trying to make an entirely different skirmish game using 40k models and the 40k BRB as a base, before tossing out large chunks of it.
    Now, now you are being 'snarky'. when a bunch of dudes in their basements decided they know better than the guys who get paid to design games the correct response is to electronically fellate them. Who are we to question the wisdom of the collective?

Mr Mystery, THAT is what it looks like when I'm being snarky...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234