BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Re-priming over painted miniatures possible?

As the title states I just got back into warhammer 40k (8 years later) (was 14 when i last played) and i was pretty bad at painting then... and Im wondering if I could simply re-prime them with black over the current paint job and repaint them, would that work? Or would it hinder the paint job alot etc?

Librarian

theres nothing terrible that will happen, just gonna lose some details as you add more paint layers. so if yr going for all the little details take the time to strip em

Brother-Captain

I once got a model on Ebay that had about five different layers of paint on it. Like Arkhan said, there was a little detail lost because of that -- but after a nice week in a jar of Mean Green, it all came off.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

We use simple green here locally... probably the same stuff... non toxic doesn't hurt pewter, plastic or the glue holding things together. Just the paint comes off. Leave it in long enough you could quote it off with an old crappy paint brush.

Occuli Imperator

Depending where you are there are different alternatives. I have found Detol to be good, others Fairy Power Spray.

Going from:

To:

To:

Finally to:
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

First-Captain

that third pic looks scary as hell...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    Depending where you are there are different alternatives. I have found Detol to be good, others Fairy Power Spray.

To:
    bloody hell he looks like he's been hit with a melta gun!

I assume that was just from the detol and is how the paint has lifted, yes?

I'm going to have to try that myself with some I'm trying to strip down.... (failed paint scheme)

Veteran-Sergeant

try plainjane DOT3 brake fluid... works like effin magic

Brother-Sergeant

I may have worded a bit poorly, but i was more referring to could I just spray over it and paint again, or do I NEED to strip it? I know stripping would be better, but im just curious Thanks for replies <3

First-Captain

if you want the miniature to look good and to keep it's details, YES you will need to strip it down, even at three layers of paint you can start to loose details off of the models, trust me on this, I have been trying for over a year to get a good shade of desert yellow for a paint scheme, I had to use so many layers to get an even coat, I lost the fine detail on my Marines, so I've given up and started stripping them down.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast