BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Points comparison in dark vengeance?

Hey guys so small question, Me and a group of guys are getting back/(after 8 year leave) to warhammer 40k and I purchased dark vengeance and in order to compare army values with my friends current armies I added up the totals of all the units for chaos space marines and dark angels (using their codex's) and it seems with only the contents in the box the dark angels army = 535 points (with no upgrades or addons, just bare units) and the chaos space marines army = 460. Thats a almost 20% point advantage for dark angels, but isn't this box supposed to be even when the two armies play eachother? Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks <3

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

welcome to the Bull****, hope your not a chaos player
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Brother-Sergeant

in other words, take out a couple terminators from the dark angels army to make for actual fair games? (as in deathmatch games etc)

Who says they should be even?

Anyway, you can use upgrades to make it a bit closer. Run the Chosen Champion as a Dark Apostle.

If you play through the scenarios, they're really interesting and a good learning too to help you get to grips with the gamel, the forces aren't balanced, but the rules for them in the starter set don't give them all the special rules.

I don't recall any of the recent 40k startersets to be evenly matched.

I mean, Black reach had Orks at a disadvantage and Maccragge had Nids at a disadvantage. Not so sure about the 3rd ed. set, but a single 20 man squad of Dark eldar warriors vs. a Marine squad + a land speeder seems unbalanced.

But for the sake of learning the rules I guess they forces are totally fine.
    40k- Chaos Space marines - Chaos Daemons - WM/H - Khador - Cygnar - Dystopian wars - EotBS

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoschrist View Post
    Black reach had Orks at a disadvantage and Maccragge had Nids at a disadvantage. Not so sure about the 3rd ed. set, but a single 20 man squad of Dark eldar warriors vs. a Marine squad + a land speeder seems unbalanced.
    If only we could discern a pattern...

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_S View Post
    If only we could discern a pattern...
    Yeah don't play as any army except as Space Marines LOL

Truth be told, if you were to compare the points values from the army books for any version of the game, including WFB one side is always at an advantage points way, always has been always will be.

Veteran-Sergeant

War is hell! But look at it this way, if you play the chaos side in DV against the dark angels you can never really loose. if you loose it is because of the uneven points, so it does not really count, if you win it is because of your brilliance

Did anyone read the scenarios before whining ?? Did anyone even consider the purpose of the Dark Vengeance box ?

The models included in the Dark Vengeance set are for use in the 6 scenarios included in the box. Note that each scenario has different models that can/must be used. There is even a rule that dead DA models in a scenario can't be used in following scenarios. Thus reducing the DA point value in the last battle.

Nobody ever, ever said that the 2 armies (models) should be exactly the same point value,

The Dark Vengeance box is perfect for new players. You get the models to play 6 (SIX!!) different battles/scenarios instead of just the same equal point battle over and over again. The more games from a single box the better for new players.

The Dark Vengeance box is NOT for veteran players who think they know best and want only very specific models because they are the only 'viable' ones from the CSM codex.

BTW I'm a Chaos Marine player and have used the Cultists (also as renegade IG) and use the Warlord and Chosen as Chaos Lords in my battles (they're gorgeous models after all). I would even consider buying a second box if not for the DA models I can't use.

In short... don't compare the point value of the models included in the box, that was never the intention

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast