BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default 1500 Space Wolves

So this is my first list back into 40k and my first list in 6th ed. This list is meant to be fun and fluffy.

HQ
    Ragnar Blackmane joined to Grey Hunter Pack

Rune Priest
    Power Armour, Wolftooth Necklace, Divination joined to Blood Claws

3 Wolf Guard
    Power Armour, Melta Bombs, Storm Shield, Frost Blade joined to Blood Claws
    Power Armour, Melta Bombs, Storm Shield, Frost Axe joined to Blood Claws
    Power Armour, Melta Bombs, Storm Shield, Power Fist joined to Grey Hunters
    Drop Pod

9 Grey Hunters
    Melta Gun, Power Axe, Mark of the Wulfen, Wolf Standard
    Drop Pod

9 Grey Hunters
    Melta Gun, Power Axe, Mark of the Wulfen, Wolf Standard
    Drop Pod

15 Blood Claws
    Flamer, Melta Gun, Power Axe

15 Blood Claws
    Flamer, Melta Gun, Power Axe

The idea is to run the Blood Claws and Drop the Grey Hunters on turn one making as many targets as possible giving the Blood Claws a chance to get into combat.

Librarian

As a wolves player i am going to say i am not a fan of using drop pods in conjunction with foot troops. mechanized perhaps would be worth while but not with foot sloggers. they will never be able to keep up with the podded troops to make a difference.

the melta guns in the blood claws also are a waste of points if your going to go out go dual flamer. their bs3 and the expense of the melta gun will mean it misses just as often as it hits.

those wolf guard are incredibly expensive and will not provide you with nearly the return which you seak. storm shields on a 3+ single wound model? that is already paying points for a power weapon or frost blade? you would be better served using terminators for those points at least then you'd have a 2+5+ for them.

priest should be with the drop pods so he is with in the thick of things to actually boost the shooting of the grey hunters as well as negating some of the defenders initial strength. i would suggest you put him in a unit of grey hunters.

honestly i love my blood claws but currently as their are points they are not even worth considering in any list. there is nothing that they do that a grey hunter don't do better or more cost effectively.

probably one of the more fluffy ragnar lists.

game wise its quite bad. blood claws arent great, ragnar is the worst for his points.

REMOVE:
    ragnar
    wolfgaurd
    drop pods
    all blood claws

ADD:
    2-3 units of missile longfangs
    rhinos to the grey hunters

1 unit of wolfgaurd in power armour -
    10 marines, 10 combi weapons, drop pod. (attach rune priest with prescience here)

1. When i run blood claws i like to stick a wolf priest or a wolfguard battle leader with saga of the hunter in their unit. 2. Drop Ragnar, he isnt worth the points in a 1500 point list. 3. You need something with long range firepower.

Librarian

a drop pod list with wolves can be very very nasty. there is no reason to drop the pods. what i had advised was to drop the foot slogging elements even moving 6 and running 6 it will take them till turn 3-4 to even make it over to the other guys deployment zone. go pod heavy with this force and you will be able to saturate your opponent and honestly once you get wolves that close there isnt much that they cannot takle.

So this is take two. I'm not wanting to squeeze as much out of each point I can. Plus I want to run Ragnar for at least a few games.

HQ
    Ragnar with GH

Rune Priest with Long Fangs
    Divination, Chooser of the Slain

4 Wolf Guard
    PA, combi melta, Power Sword, Melta Bombs with GH
    PA, combi melta, Power Axe, Melta Bombs with GH
    PA, combi plasma, Power Sword, Melta Bombs with GH
    PA, combi plasma, Power Axe, Melta Bombs with GH

8 Grey Hunters
    Melta Gun, Power Axe, Wolf Standard
    Drop Pod