BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 12 of 71 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    I've only seen a Stompa once in person. I've only ever seen a couple of baneblades, all sitting on shelves. I can count the number of times, including Apoc games, on one hand, that I've played with or against a superheavy using the actual GW model. And considering how thoroughly so much of the community has rejected Escalation, I don't really see that changing.
    The problem with Escalation is not with the concept itself, but with two things- the completely unbalanced selection of units in it (8 Baneblade variants, the Revenant titan, thunderhawk, vs the Harridan and the Tigershark bland version) and with Destroyer weapons, which is a problem for Apoc games as well.

This is GW's new idea; [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_and_chessboard_problem[/url]
    Imagine the squares were codices/supplements/FaQs/etc. and the grains of rice/wheat were RULES, now the cause and effect/affect of each rule on another rule is the total.
    Pretty simple really, KINSS; Keep It Not Simple Stupid. (see below)
    GW's new approach (6e) is everything including the kitchen sink is allowed, the more rules, the harder for the Interwebs to figure out, and thus BREAK the game (finding good units and lists verses crap units). (Helldrake was a good example of this, crap unit, FaQ drop, great unit)
    Breaking the game; makes GW units/products (crap units) sit on shelves and collect dust (= no sales).
    GW's old approach was every other edition;
    Make bad units in the game great in the new edition.
    Make great units in the game bad in the new edition.
    But the Interwebs were able to adjust and break the new edition/game in about a year, and when a new book dropped, 30 days or less the Interwebs broke that also, so GW is seeing a slump in sales, and seeing stock that does not move. (Chaos Spawn was a good example of this, as Spawn were voted worst unit in both Fantasy and 40K, but now in 6e, they are great.)
    So, if GW does release a 7e, it will be in an attempt to wrestle control back, and to force the community to use everything including the kitchen sink, because it will ALL be in the Main rulebook, as opposed to now, with supplements/extra scenario books/FW allowed/Fortification in box rules/etc. as an option that is not in the main rulebook, and big tournaments and communities are saying no way.
    On the entire chessboard there would be 264 − 1 = 18,446,744,073,709,551,615 grains of rice, weighing 461,168,602,000 metric tons, which would be a heap of rice larger than Mount Everest. This is around 1,000 times the global production of rice in 2010 (464,000,000 metric tons).[7]

Except GW aren't fussed about what the community does.

They've always encouraged hobbyists to do what they want with the rules. Since day one.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RexScarlet View Post
    This is GW's new idea; [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_and_chessboard_problem[/url]
    Imagine the squares were codices/supplements/FaQs/etc. and the grains of rice/wheat were RULES, now the cause and effect/affect of each rule on another rule is the total.
    Pretty simple really, KINSS; Keep It Not Simple Stupid. (see below)
    GW's new approach (6e) is everything including the kitchen sink is allowed, the more rules, the harder for the Interwebs to figure out, and thus BREAK the game (finding good units and lists verses crap units). (Helldrake was a good example of this, crap unit, FaQ drop, great unit)
    Breaking the game; makes GW units/products (crap units) sit on shelves and collect dust (= no sales).
    GW's old approach was every other edition;
    Make bad units in the game great in the new edition.
    Make great units in the game bad in the new edition.
    But the Interwebs were able to adjust and break the new edition/game in about a year, and when a new book dropped, 30 days or less the Interwebs broke that also, so GW is seeing a slump in sales, and seeing stock that does not move. (Chaos Spawn was a good example of this, as Spawn were voted worst unit in both Fantasy and 40K, but now in 6e, they are great.)
    So, if GW does release a 7e, it will be in an attempt to wrestle control back, and to force the community to use everything including the kitchen sink, because it will ALL be in the Main rulebook, as opposed to now, with supplements/extra scenario books/FW allowed/Fortification in box rules/etc. as an option that is not in the main rulebook, and big tournaments and communities are saying no way.
    On the entire chessboard there would be 264 − 1 = 18,446,744,073,709,551,615 grains of rice, weighing 461,168,602,000 metric tons, which would be a heap of rice larger than Mount Everest. This is around 1,000 times the global production of rice in 2010 (464,000,000 metric tons).[7]
    I don't know what the middle section has to do with your anlogy of the wheat chessboard problem.

GW are giving people more options, its about options and letting people choose what they want to play to tell they story they want to tell, I hope the next expansion is a campagin system book, with escalations, stronghold assults and kill team games, you could have some really cool campagins

Chapter-Master

I've only seen a Stompa once in person. I've only ever seen a couple of baneblades, all sitting on shelves. I can count the number of times, including Apoc games, on one hand, that I've played with or against a superheavy using the actual GW model. And considering how thoroughly so much of the community has rejected Escalation, I don't really see that changing.
    Man.

Now I know - don't move to Sacramento. I won't have anyone to play against.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Chapter-Master

Now I know - don't move to Sacramento. I won't have anyone to play against.
    Not at all. We have probably the single largest gaming community on the west coast. Our flgs in-store tournaments have drawn 90+ players before, mostly local. There are a ton of people to play. At least, for 40k. Infinity and Warmachine have pretty big groups here, too. Fantasy is gone almost completely.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

Down in Oakland there's a pretty huge Apocalypse scene. I mean, they don't actually get to play that often because arranging an Apocalypse game with grown-ups requires moving heaven and Earth, but they make it happen. If you were to move out here and start agitating for more Apocalypse, you'd fit right in. Our FLGS - Endgame Oakland - is incredibly supportive of all manner of stuff. They're opening a cafe next door this summer, so you wouldn't even need to leave the building for lunch/dinner/a beer...

Move to Oakland... move to Oakland... move to Oakland... move to Oakland...
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

Even better, it's not the murder capital of California anymore. High praise .
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

Even better, it's not the murder capital of California anymore. High praise .
    Most of the murders were gang-related anyone. Not to minimize the tragedy of young men getting killed for making a stupid kid/young adult mistake and getting involved with the wrong crowd, but it's not like they were going to go after Defenestratus (unless he was planning on joining a gang...). I don't just drive through rough neighborhoods to go to work, I work in deep East Oakland, and nobody gives me a second glance. I'm just some white middle school teacher; the guys who are doing the murdering literally could not care less about me.

Getting caught in crossfire, though, that's still an issue. Sometimes I think that we could reduce the number of deaths by teaching these *******s how to use a freaking gun properly... but that's my exhausted and cynical side talking.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Page 12 of 71 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast