BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 52 of 71 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

The problem with your point is, why aren't we spamming psykers now? 7th doesn't change anything about psyker availability, and it doesn't make powers easier to cast. Even if you do throw enough dice at a power to make it as likely to go off as it is on a leadership check, you're risking Perils, and you're denying yourself all those other powers you can currently cast.

Offensive psykers now seem weaker. Defensive psykers are now stronger. Far be it from psykers dominating the game, I think it's far more likely that this brings psykers in line.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    The problem with your point is, why aren't we spamming psykers now? 7th doesn't change anything about psyker availability, and it doesn't make powers easier to cast. Even if you do throw enough dice at a power to make it as likely to go off as it is on a leadership check, you're risking Perils, and you're denying yourself all those other powers you can currently cast.

Offensive psykers now seem weaker. Defensive psykers are now stronger. Far be it from psykers dominating the game, I think it's far more likely that this brings psykers in line.
    I agree in theory, but that is all we have... theories. I expect the summoning Discipline is simply going to get maximum dice thrown at it every round (particularly by Daemon players) to spam units. All it takes is one broken Discipline or power and the whole apple cart will be ruined. I am somewhat hopeful that the rumor about the maximum dice you can throw being your ML+1 is true, but somehow I doubt it.

Chapter-Master

Keep in mind some of the Perils results are supposedly pretty bad. If you want to get off a level 3 power, you're going to need 6-8 to have decent odds, and the odds of suffering Perils is very good at that point. Your psykers won't last long if they're getting hit with Perils every other turn. So, sure, while the psychic phase has gotten more reliant on having lots of psykers, psykers themselves have gotten weaker in almost every way. What we know so far is basically a nerf to psykers in almost every possible way. And remember if there's that one broken power, that's what you use all your Deny dice to counter, which you couldn't do before, so it's still not too crazy.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

The main change now is that a few extra low level psykers now give you more charges for your primary psykers. It remains to be seen whether or not its worth the extra points though. There are still too many unknowns.

Chapter-Master

To put it more precisely, it seems like you now have to sink points into secondary psykers in order to make your primary psykers as reliable as they currently are. They're still powerful, but a much bigger points investment in exchange. And now everyone can manage their resources to block key powers, which is a huge step forward to preventing shenanigans like Fortune and the Seer Council. Unless they buff all the psychic powers to crazy levels, I'm not too worried.

Battle-Brother

To put it more precisely, it seems like you now have to sink points into secondary psykers in order to make your primary psykers as reliable as they currently are.
    Unless you play daemons of course because taking four level one or two psykers can be done from one HQ slot (ignoring unbound) and you were probably taking them anyway because heralds buff up your units and are like Ws 7 with 4 rending attacks basic (herald of Slaanesh)

Daemon-Prince

Quote Originally Posted by artisturn View Post
    I wonder if GW is going to limit the dice pool to a 12 dice maximum. That is what they do for the fantasy magic phase.

If not the Psychic phase is going to be pretty one sided for those who don't play with that game style.
    Or who ever Has Magnus chilling with there Thousand Sons...............

(Hell lets just call it the "Magnus Phase")
    Potential war gameing Jawa.

Quote Originally Posted by artisturn View Post
    I wonder if GW is going to limit the dice pool to a 12 dice maximum. That is what they do for the fantasy magic phase.

If not the Psychic phase is going to be pretty one sided for those who don't play with that game style.
    As it was before?
    If you decide to bring no psyker your opponent did just cast his powers without you interfering (and he could cast more power than now)
    If you decided to bring a psyker your opponent did just cast his powers without you interfering (because your psyker could not do anything about it)

Now you have the same result if you bring no psyker (except for the chance to counter a critical buff which you could not before) and the enemy will cast LESS spells than before
    If you decide to bring a psyker you can interfere with his spells AND bring your DtW down to a 5+

Armies without a psyker are better off now than before.

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    Armies without a psyker are better off now than before.
    In all fairness, we don't know that. We have partial tidbits from an a larger system unknown. I'm not willing to lean either way yet, until I read the actual, complete rules. All the powers may be changing, making them wickedly more powerful than before. That phase might become as crazy and random as the magic phase in Fantasy where the entire game changes direction every turn. That would be horrible, but is entirely possible. We don't know anything about these "Affinities" which have been mentioned which might drop the casting difficulty to (3) rather than (4). We don't really know what the Perils results are yet. We don't really know if the successes a defender gets counter act the caster 1 to 1 or if the defender must get successes equal to the spell being cast, i.e. all or nothing. We are just making a lot of assumptions.
    Last edited by Caitsidhe; 05-20-2014 at 02:13 AM.

Even with all the assumptions its safe to say you are better off than before.
    Even if you can cast your powers on a 3+ per warpcharge thats still 2 dice (warpcharges) you need per power level (thus halfing the powers you can cast now).
    I really dont expect powers to get harder (rumors point in the opposite direction) but mere shifts and changes according to new rules.
    Perils results where mentioned as 3 pretty bad results (one outright killing the psyker) and the rest more likely to survive if you have more than 1W.
    The only thing where we are up to 100% speculation is if its "all or nothing". But even then its still less powers beeing cast and you are still able to counter buffs which you could not before.

Page 52 of 71 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast