BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfshade View Post
    And my oldest box:

Ooh look at those old stats.. M, Int, Cl, WP
    That was my very first 40K box set I ever brought too, and to think people never belive me when I tell the the old RTB01 figures were released in smaller boxes

I'll just leave this here...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130903_171541.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	6574  

Quote Originally Posted by Eberk View Post
    If you look at where we all came from it is sad that there is so much whining and moaning about where 40K is at the moment.
    Actually it is because of where we are now that there is all the whining and moaning.

40K was great twenty years ago.

No Flyers
    No Large Overprice Models

Very few vehicles

You got to see Infantry actually using tactics to get at the enemy.

Oh and the armies were far more balanced back then (if you exclude Harlequins).

Today we have very little balance with the armies, and GW is pushing the Flyers and Large models.

No today the game sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    The PLASTIC TARGETING GRID!!!

I tell youngsters about it and they still don't believe!

Also Dark Future shoutout for Gott!
    Didn't you hate it when you line it up and shot your round right under of over the target.

You got to learn to angle the grid so that you would actually hit the vehicle you were shooting.

Though even back then it took several shots to knock it out.

I got my first 40k models back in July of 1989 when I went to the Origins convention when it was in Los Angeles.

If only we had those prices today.

Ten metal Space Marines for just $10.

Ten metal Eldars for the same price.

[url]http://www.solegends.com/citcat88/4102spacemarines-01.jpg[/url]

[url]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3rmu7yKkM1r1g40zo1_500.jpg[/url]

I still have all of the Eldar and several of the Space Marines though I did sell those first ten to someone else.

I also picked up the 1st Space Hulk game and the Rogue Trader book.

[url]http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2281/1506758570_045125a952.jpg[/url]

I also picked this up five years later.

[url]http://thedarkmillennium.webs.com/firstheretic.jpg[/url]

By 1995 I had several 40k armies and WFB armies to include several 40k Epic armies.

Three sets of this game built the basis for two of my WFB armies.

[url]http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/tg/image/1344/52/1344529615892.jpg[/url]

It came with 102 miniatures and a local toy store had discounted it down to just $10. I saw this and picked up all three boxes that they had would have gotten more if they had them.

Sold the Chaos and several of the other items in them and went to the GW store and brought enough bases.

I then took them with me to Kuwait when I was stationed there from 1995-1996.

Then GW started to go downhill by 2000.

But boy they were great 20 years ago.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Sainhann View Post
    Actually it is because of where we are now that there is all the whining and moaning.

40K was great twenty years ago.

No Flyers
    No Large Overprice Models

Very few vehicles

You got to see Infantry actually using tactics to get at the enemy.

Oh and the armies were far more balanced back then (if you exclude Harlequins).

Today we have very little balance with the armies, and GW is pushing the Flyers and Large models.

No today the game sucks.
    Instead we had moderate points games that took twice as long as apocalypse games, wargear and tactics cards which could be abused to the extreme (as anyone who ever faced the unkillable superdodging Ragnar will attest).
    And my Ogryn Hero with full wargear access laughs in the face of your supposed balance.
    Nothing's really changed, except that the models are (arguably) better and (arguably) more expensive (I use arguably because with 20 years of inflation worked in it's not as big as everyone thinks, for the most part anyway, we just feel that way because we're old).
    If the game sucks so much now, go do something else.
    Personally I'd say it's not really changed, it's just us who get older and more self-entitled, I feel it happening to me too.
    Every now and then I have to dig out an old rule book, or put a 90s marine next to a 2013 one to remind myself that actually there's been as much improvement as there has loss.
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

Brother-Captain

I don't feel like much of anything has been lost. The background is more rich, the rules are better written, the models look better than ever, and the books have much higher production values. 40K is the best it's ever been.
    There is one direction: FORWARD!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Badrukk View Post
    Instead we had moderate points games that took twice as long as apocalypse games, wargear and tactics cards which could be abused to the extreme (as anyone who ever faced the unkillable superdodging Ragnar will attest).
    And my Ogryn Hero with full wargear access laughs in the face of your supposed balance.
    Nothing's really changed, except that the models are (arguably) better and (arguably) more expensive (I use arguably because with 20 years of inflation worked in it's not as big as everyone thinks, for the most part anyway, we just feel that way because we're old).
    If the game sucks so much now, go do something else.
    Personally I'd say it's not really changed, it's just us who get older and more self-entitled, I feel it happening to me too.
    Every now and then I have to dig out an old rule book, or put a 90s marine next to a 2013 one to remind myself that actually there's been as much improvement as there has loss.
    Moderate points games?

Gee I was playing 2000-3000 point games all the time. Today you have individuals who are only playing 500-1000 point games.

As for Ragnar will he might dodge some but not all when I blew him away with ease with my Swooping Hawks. Today you hardly ever see Swooping Hawks.

Actually I would match your Ogryn Hero to any of my Harlequin characters but as I stated before the Harlequins were Overpowered (there is a reason why did were taken out of the game for so long). Oh and he would not had lasted long at all.

I would not say they are better I still prefer my metal Eldar over the current multi-part plastic ones of today. Drop my metal models and usually nothing happens drop one of those Plastic models well good luck with that.

But yes, those Tactics Cards can suck like the good old Virus Grenade. Had a game with my Eldar against a Space Wolf army and he had that card. He used it and I lost nearly half of my Army.

Thing is beginning out numbered 2-1 right from the start of the battle - I still nearly won it and would have if I had one more turn.

As I stated far more balance back then.

Also far less saves since there was only one Conversion Field Wargear card only one of your characters could get it. Though you did see quite a few Chaplains since they came with one.

Today every single model can nearly get a 4+ save and many have multi-saves.

So yes today the game sucks it will cost me nearly $1,300 just to replace my Imperial Guard army, more if I want to replace my WFB Ork and Goblin army. Dire Avengers are $7 for just one and $70 for just a single squad.

20 years ago I could have gotten several squads of metal Dire Avengers for that price.

The game is not better today only more dumbed down and it really is more a game of rolling lots of dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rissan4ever View Post
    I don't feel like much of anything has been lost. The background is more rich, the rules are better written, the models look better than ever, and the books have much higher production values. 40K is the best it's ever been.
    Have you been to Colorado in the last few days.

There is really no fluff anymore.

Is the Ork broken out into the Clans?

Nope there is no more Clans.

Do you ever see anyone play with Gretchins squads in their 40k Ork armies.

Nope because today it is all about Min/Max and when only given 6 choices for troops Gretchins aren't even consider.

Back 20 years ago you were not limited to just SIX TROOP CHOICES but you are today.

20 years ago you saw armies of mostly troops today a lot of armies only have the bare minimum TWO TROOP CHOICES, but maxing out most of the other categories.

Sure 20 years ago nearly everyone had a 4th Level Psyker but I found that when you have one as well it balanced it self out. Plus that is what the Vortex Grenade was for, lost my Eldar Avatar to that little Wargear more time than I could count. Because he was a beast and you had to Vortex him or lose things in your army that you didn't want to lose.

Today due to the HQ limit and the fact that most Eldar players can't play without Eldrad you don't even see the Avatar.

Oh and the rules are horrible.

How many pages of FAQ's are there for this Edition?

As to better models all I have to say to that is...

FINECAST RESIN

Which was so bad that even GW has dropped it.

Oh sure the books are higher production value but then again they cost $55-$60+ and you have to buy quite a few of them if you owe as many armies as I do.

But I decided that at those prices I am not going to buy any of them.

40K was far better 20 years ago but then GW got taken over and it has been going downhill since then.

First-Captain

WOAH WOAH guys, this isn't the place for a flame war guys, this thread is only for remembering the Games Workshop 40k items we were fond of when growing up, not to argue which system was better, there are [URL="http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?38170-6th-Edition-A-new-golden-age"]other threads for those arguements....[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Sainhann View Post
    Three sets of this game built the basis for two of my WFB armies.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1344529615892.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	6581

It came with 102 miniatures and a local toy store had discounted it down to just $10. I saw this and picked up all three boxes that they had would have gotten more if they had them.
    Yeah I remember Battlemasters, we had it at school, the floorplan battlemap was HUGE, and the figures wern't that bad for the time, except the Cannon, which had a great big hole in the underside....

I brought one of the expansion sets for the Empire figures, which apart from the cannon I still own today...

Along with two copies of Hero Quest, 1st Ed and 2nd Ed (you can tell the two editions apart by the first quest in the quest book) along with Keller's Keep, Return of the Witch Lord expansions and the much sought after Quest Making kit (mine's complete and unused, though the box is unsealed)...

My Pride and joy though is my copy of Space Crusade, complete with just one Space Marine Weapon damaged.... I'll get round to painting them sometime this year

I just wish I hadn't got rid of any of my stuff over the years, I used to own GW's release of the Judge Dredd RPG, along with the first module, A GW Release of the Lord of the Rings RPG that ICE did (which is worth a mint complete these days ),I had Ultra Marines and that other fantasy one with the Skaven, Mighty Warriors IIRC, and the Spacewar Combat cards with all the Space Marines on the cards, the really old school ones

And that's not to mention the figures I had, my first was the box set I mentioned in an earlier post, my second was that metal terminator box set mentioned in someone elses post, they were great figures..
    Last edited by Darren Richardson; 01-04-2014 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Link inserted

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast