BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Oh and I loved it when a opponent would shoot their Plasma guns at my Avatar not knowing that he was immune to them.

Oh and the ability for Orks to custom make their own weapons.

Once ended up with a large blast template weapon that froze everyone solid to include the shooter because the range was shorter than the blast template.

Oh the joy of shooting your Ork Shokk Attack gun and having the little buggers end up inside the armor of the terminators that you were shooting.

Say what you will about 2nd Edition - but it sure was fun with all the crazy things that could happen.

Like the time I toss a Rad Grenade into the building that had a squad of Blood Axe Commando's and it ended up with a 3" blast radius but only being 2-3 strength. It did cause them to break and since they were in the building they had to go to ground.

Took a very long time for them to die because due to the Grenade I wasn't going in after them with my Harlequins and due to it low strength it was hard to wound the Orks.

The real fun Grenade was the Plasma Grenade since if had the ability to expand to 18". Got lucky once with that and destroyed a sizeable portion of a Genestealer army.

Another fun bit of fun was the Eldar D-Cannon and the Displacement Chart. You never knew where the model that you hit would end up.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sainhann View Post

Oh the joy of shooting your Ork Shokk Attack gun and having the little buggers end up inside the armour of the terminators that you were shooting.
    That always amused, even on the receiving end it was funny.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chaplain

My favorite Ork weapon was the Hop Splat Gun. It fired a rocket attached to a cannonball or something that moved wildly around the table until it moved off the edge or you rolled doubles for the scatter and hit everything in its path.

One game we had Orks down one long edge of an 8' table and Space Marines and Eldar down the other. One Ork player fired a Hop Splat gun at a bunch of Eldar near the corner. It hit one Eldar then came back across the table and killed 12 Orks (including a whole unit of Goffik Rockers). Then it went back across the table and killed two Eldar then came Back to the Ork side and killed 14 more. It finally flew back across the table at the far end from where it started, bounced off the head of a Marine, then finally flew off. The whole thing took about ten minutes to resolve but then we had to stop playing for a while because we were laughing about it too much to continue.

After that the guy who had borrowed the army and fired the shot became a lifelong Ork player.

Ah, a pure Mad Boyz at heart.

Really sad when GW drop these guys.

You never knew what they were going to do.

Oh and how about those random Farseer's?

Mine almost always ended up on the weak side. Had to give him his own squad of Fire Dragons because they needed the protection.

Powerful Psyker but don't ever get anywhere near close combat.

Chapter-Master

I miss stopping my opponent every time he shot with '3d6 times 3 for the shrouding'.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Veteran-Sergeant

I understand that this is quite rare ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIMG0183.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	197.1 KB 
ID:	6651

It's dated 1993. It includes rules for using marines in power armour and missions using chaos terminators vs imperial ones.

Yup.

I had that.

Power Armour is terribur on a Space Hulk! You get loads of guys to a squad though!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

Anyone remember the old 2nd Ed. rules for assault cannons? >:}
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Chapter-Master

Yep, triple jam, BOOM!

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

One of the above posters just gave me a "Light Bulb" moment. I remember naming all of my models in my 2nd Ed armies. Armies were much smaller back then so it was possible. For example it was 300 points for 10 tactical marines. I remember scrounging to get 10x power Swords and 10x chain swords for my assault squad and them costing over 400 points, but the parry rules of the day made then actually useful. A 1000 point army could be 30ish marines and the most common tournament games I attended were 1500 points or only about 45 models.

Now second edition did have it's problems. The worst army I ever fought and saw was a Space Ork army. It was 25% Squig Catapults, 25% Pulsa Rokits, Bad Moons in mega armour with heavy weapons (with targetters) and a cheap Warboss. The rockets fired and normally did a pulse (2d6 range) that knocked models down. The models then spent their next turn just standing up, so they are effectively pinned. The catapults dropped templates that ran around randomly and could eat anything. Being templates they were not affected by the pulses. Add to this the heavy weapon orks destroying everything and it was a game-set-match army. All your opponent did was stand his models up and end his turn. The ork player then spent 30 minutes: dropping more rokits, knocking down models, adding more squig templates and using the heavy orks to shoot any part of the army not in pulsa range. Note the squig templates pretty much stayed in play so it was 6 templates on turn 1, then 12 running around on turn 2, 18 on turn 3, etc.

That experiance aside. I think this hits the root cause of why 40k is losing it's appeal to me. I want the skirmish feel back. for each model to matter rather than being clone troop #5 of clone squad #3.

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast