BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    First-Captain

Default Bringing the Flame with Stronghold Assault

Hey guys,
    finally got my copy of Stronghold Assault on monday, and took a look at the list of available fortifications. Now, while I aggree that the Void Shields are all the rage, there is one other thing that immediately tickeld my fancy for weird ideas: the Promethium Relay (or pipeline or whatever it´s actually called in english... maybe someone can illuminate me :-) )
    For a very modest points tax, these things can give any Flame type weapon that is fired by anyone within a short distance the Torrent rule, while also making said weapon heavy. The Relay can be deployed like any fortification, as in anywhere in your half of the table, and consists of up to seven sections, some long, some short (up to three of one kind and up to four of the other, meaning if you are so inclined you are allowed to just take one short segment and call it a day). Pending GW acutally releasing models for the things, one can model the multiple sections as long or short as one likes - but taking the length of an Aegis might be a good and fair bet...

Now, some uses of this came to my mind, but I´m sure many more will pop up in the discussion...
    One would be to plonk the thing down near the mid-field line, driving a LR Redeemer up to it 12" first turn and then merrily letting the Machine Spirit torch away with one of them - hooray I think I found a use for Flamestorm Cannons! One could subsequently, depending on board position, even consider moving just 6" the following turn, staying within range of the Promethium, to fire both Cannons and then go charging off into the enemy on turn three...
    Make that a Blood Angels LR Redeemer for added hilarity as you please... or even a Baal Pred or two if you like...
    Crisis suits could do something similar - a three-strong team with 2 flamers each is under 100pts, and might make for quite a decent roadblock to some armies, for example putting a metric ton of wounds on and horde of daemons that comes running up the field, while being rather painful to assault with so many Wall of Fire hits to anyone charging them... Might not be the most effective thing in the world, but rather funny nonetheless I think...
    Infantry being transported towards a Relay won´t be able to flame immediately since their weapons become heavy, but it might nonetheless be worth the minuscule points cost should you choose to utilize Burnaz or Flamer Vets or something of that ilk...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

So wait, I can give all my Flamers of Tzeentch torrent? Hmm interesting.

The pipes are a great thing, but are kinda situational. Sadly, most of what you're saying won't work tho so you gotta be careful. Here is what I saw are some of the limitations based on the rules for them.

#1 - Vehicles don't benefit from the pipes

#2 - It changes the weapon type to heavy, so you can't move and use the pipe in the same turn (which you already stated)

#3 - It only works on 'flamer' weapons as defined in the rulebook on page 56. So, it only works for those 'Flamer' weapons. It does not work on anything that uses a template.

First-Captain

not for vehicles? ok missed that... does kinda make sense though...
    Crisis suits can get around the Heavy part at least...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Yeah Im pretty sure it says non-vehicle models, could be wrong tho I dont have it in front of me at the moment.

First-Captain

yeah mine is with a friend as well, so I can´t check either... does seem logical that none of the crewmen have the time to get out and take an extra bucket of fuel to pour into the flamer though...