BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First-Captain

Default Will my sisters and inquisition models just sit and gather dust now.

I would have to say after reading feed back on the two books and get point to point break downs of both books I am a bit disappointed with both books. I understand the Inquisition is the in thing, but still rather irritated on the approach GET took with the two books. Before I begin I probably wind up buying the Inquisition codex, but will debate picking up sisters.

Anyway let me rant on the sisters. The only positive is that I can have a better chance somewhat on using faith it seems and priest are nice. Also the addition of lost gear, but overall it still is very weak when compared to other 6 codecs.

I mean the 2nd/ 3rd codex was a bit much I admit, but I was hoping for the White Dwarf nerf be fixed with this codex. Nope.

I can go on about how I hate this codex as bad as the last one. Overall I would say it's slightly better than the White Dwarf Dex and no where near as good as the 2nd edition codex. I can see the Jacobs and Celestine nerds, but at the same time it screws the army as a whole. On the plus side you can run a Cannoness now, although Jacobs is still a good option to take.

Depending on the Guard codex will answer if I bother with them or not. At the moment I rather have one point more sisters on an objective than plus four armoured veterans. The one and only troop choice for sisters can be argued that they are still one of the best cost effective troops out there, although guard have more weapon options via shooting.

Anyway they come across as an army made to either augment guard or use Inquisition to make them competitive. Honestly taking both guard and inquisition may be a good option to this army. If the priest abilities are transferable and the new guard codex do not have the same upgraded priest than that would be nice. Either way I have to wait for my guard codex to see if I will still even think about using this army.

Let's go to Inquisition the massive cut and paste codex. My disappointment here is that I can only run two HQs and three elites. Again making Cortez a mandatory character if you would like scoring warbands. I for one would like to run a strait Inquisition army which seems the only way to do it now is to run Grey Knights with Inquisition allies, which still probably have you using Grey Knight units to make up for lack of heavy support unless you count the monkey which I find insulting to use.

Anyway for at least any human faction army the Inquisition as allies is a no brainer. Again due to the block of annoying tactics it brings finding games with armies including with them will be hard to do.

Which brings up the question should I use them? I have the models, but due to Tau, Daemons, Bike Marines this add on will ban me a bandwagon player. However when they see metal sniper, shield, and old stealth suits they realized that the only new models in my Tau army happens to be Riptides or the fact I bought updated heralds for my Daemons or didn't buy anything for my bike marine army. Which I am not going to buy anything for Inquisition as well.

However I would like to bring my sister guard army back to the table. Ironically the Inquisition codex allows me to go back to my 3rd/ 4th edition sister army before all the updates. However due to the constant shifting nature of that army I am not sure I want to resurrect it.

First it was sisters with guard allies.
    2nd Guard codex comes out and I have to 're work list
    3rd sisters get 're amped and I lose guard allies and some sister units.
    4th 6th bring back somewhat what I was running.
    5th sisters changed again
    6th Inquisition allows me to run the list I ran the first go round
    7th new guard Dex over the horizon.

All that means I can choose to do sisters, marines, and inquisition which would be cool. In fact the Inquisition brings guard to the table so to speak, and I can use grey knight models for marines which would look nice, like Draigo would make a nice chapter master.

I just not too sure what to do. I always wanted to do an Imperial army with all the Imperial elements in it.

I think that the new Sororitas Codex is pretty competitive. It lacks variety, but even the old Witchhunters Codex lacked variety if you did not use Inquisition/IG units... and you can use those now. Sororitas/IG plus Inquisition looks like it should be fine in terms of being competitive. Not as good as some of the top Codices in general, but not really worse off than a lot of other Codices.

Sororitas blobs with Jacobus and another Priest with the Litanies can have a 3+/5++ rerollable in CC, with additional Priests for multiple AP2 attacks, so it has a solid brick that can hold up enemy CC lists. A similar version can be run with an IG blob (trading better saves for lots more bodies and more sources of AP2 attacks). In shooting, the base Sister is a solid model, and running Flamer/Heavy Flamer in Immolators takes care of AT and anti-infantry in one solid unit. Inquisition adds more brick units (Crusader/DCA/Priest squads) or cheap plasma squads, scoring with Coteaz. Exorcists and the IG tanks provide long-range firepower. I prefer an IG squad of two Hydras and a Vendetta, to make sure that AA is covered.

All in all, they have the tools for everything, and while you also need efficiency in your tools, they do have access to some point-efficient units (Vendetta, Exorcist, Flamer/HF 5-man Sororitas squad, Dominions). So as long as the lack of variety isn't an issue, I think that they're fine... on par with Witch Hunters, and way ahead of the White Dwarf Codex.

First-Captain

I wouldn't say they are equal to witch hunters. The old faith system in a lot of ways was better. You just had to know which squad to use for what Faith. For example two Cannoness in a squad can easily get two plus invulnerable saves. Let's not forget the rapid fire rending heavy flamethrower shooting from squads of 10 which was pretty much auto pass.

I would say my qualms is that the witch hunter book had more unit options. I still have to sit down and read the sisters codex, but simple stuff like still not giving all squads eviserators annoyed me.

I do want to say at least the Exorcism did get lowered in point cost. Still the sister codex out of all the codecs seems like little effort was put into it.

I have what amounts to a full Allies block of Sisters (to go with my Guard forces). I've also got goodly piles of Inquisition stuff.

I'm not buying either digital Codex, don't believe in spending more than a buck on something I can't touch.

I would rather treat Sisters & Inquisition as something else, or simply stick with an older printed Codex ruleset (e.g. Grey Knights / Witch Hunters). Fortunately, my playgroup is forgiving in this regard.
    - 40k Eldar, Imperial Guard & Chaos Marines ∙ WFB Dogs of War ∙ WM/H Cryx ∙ BFG Chaos & Imperial Navy -

You have read feedback and point-to-point breakdowns?

So.......you haven't actually read the codexes themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by chicop76 View Post
    I wouldn't say they are equal to witch hunters. The old faith system in a lot of ways was better. You just had to know which squad to use for what Faith. For example two Cannoness in a squad can easily get two plus invulnerable saves. Let's not forget the rapid fire rending heavy flamethrower shooting from squads of 10 which was pretty much auto pass.
    It's true that the old Faith system was GOOD. The new one pretty much sucks.
    But I still hold with the current Codex, because outside of Faith, the units are a lot better.

First of all, the Crusader/DCA/Priest squad is really good (though I prefer them from Inquisition with Coteaz so they score).
    Second of all, I much prefer the current Sororitas blob (12+ Sisters, 2-5 Priests) to the Canoness blob, because they are Fearless, and because with Jacobus, I'd rather get 3+/5++ rerollable on an entire squad than the 2++ on a single model or two.

But in the end, the main reason I prefer the current Codex is that you can take a 5-man Sororitas squad. You see, the problem with the old 10-sister squads, Rending weapons or not, was that you had to get close to the enemy (12" for Bolters, 8" for Flamers), so you really had to pick you spots to make sure that you erased everyone in charge range. Otherwise you were liable to be Assaulted and Swept, and lost 10 models. Now, I can put up 5 models... considering that I'll lose some to shooting and some in the battle, do I really care that I may have 1-2 survivors that are liable to be Swept? It's made the squad much more viable when you don't have to worry about losing 4-7 models in a Sweeping Advance. And since I feel that the overall strength of a Codex starts with how good its Troops are, and the new squad options and sizes are a lot better, I'd rather play the current ones in terms of strength. Not sure about losing Faith since that was fun and added a new dimension of resource management that doesn't exist in the new version, but in terms of strength, I feel that this is much more competitive.

First-Captain

@ steel. After listening and reading hours worth of material on the net I can pretty much don't have to use the codex since I know unit cost and break down. Now if x person is wrong than I will have to go by what they said. I rather have said codex so I can have all the info in one nice spot, and let's not mention army builder which all I need is description of what the gear does, which the net again provide.

Which means the real reason I would bother with the codex is simply to have it available for my opponent.

Actually the squad size is a good point. Now you can put troops in immolaters and attack special characters to troops in rhinos. The biggest frustration with running a Cannoness was you had to take a command squad or run two net pack Cannoness together.

I am not arguing the raw units is not better. I agree with that. 5 man squads that can be armed with a cheaper heavy flamethrower and melta combo instead of a 10 man squad is nice. Which means rhinos with 2 fire points I a lot nicer and attractive. Meaning more melts, heavy flamers, and armour on the board.

I think the biggest thing for me is to see if Immolaters still have a fire point or not. If they still do than the twin flamers option would be replaced with the twin melta option. If they don't have the fire points than twin flamers and sisters with 2 meltas would be better.

My complaint is the Immolaters used to move 12 and shoot no problem. The sisters of battle WD codex nixed that. I will have to admit here I am at a lost if the can still move like the WD codex or they made them like the witch hunter codex. If they still have the 6" problem than the twin melta would be better due to snap fire, since a flamers can't snap fire.

I don't know really how I will address this change. What It means to me is that I have to get two melta and heavy flamethrower sisters and an extra rhinos/ Immolaters. I might get more Immolaters since I can field more now. Again I have to ask myself with the new guard and nid dexes coming up what new models I will need to add to my army. Nids, and Guard are big codex buys. I can say I probably won't buy anything for guard. Nids depending on what is coming out. With all that in mind I probably won't buy new stuff for my sisters.

I still regret not buying the two packs of sisters that cam in boxes of 10 that was around 50 dollars. If I knew they was gonna double in price I would had gotten them.

I bought the Sisters codex but have no models. If they ever release a plastic box, I'll be all over it. I mostly intend to make it an allied detachment, but I think the 20 Sister scoring squad should be a nice solid objective grabber. If they dig in it takes a lot of work dig them out. Of course, I don't have a lot of field experience with them yet, and likely won't for a while.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by deinol View Post
    I bought the Sisters codex but have no models. If they ever release a plastic box, I'll be all over it. I mostly intend to make it an allied detachment, but I think the 20 Sister scoring squad should be a nice solid objective grabber. If they dig in it takes a lot of work dig them out. Of course, I don't have a lot of field experience with them yet, and likely won't for a while.
    The 20 man squad concept was decent with Jacobs from last switch. However although they are tougher than guard that toughness 3 still hurts them. Which means they die a lot easier than marines, especially to a lot of strength 5 shooting.

Unless they get 2+ cover saves, feel no pain, or have armour to keep them safe they still die relative easy. Also running large squads like that if the are reduced to 5 they can pretty much run off the table, which they need stubborn and fearless to keep them in one place. Also they suffer with only 2 options at a large size. Meaning 5 5 man squads can have 8 weapons, while the 20 man squad can have 2.

To be fair I haven't ran the new sisters yet and only the last several codex editions.

I think my anger is the fun factor, instead of the boring factor. I picked them up original due to the uniqueness the army had. Now they seem like marine wannabes with slightly different powers and not all the marine toys. Kinda like what they did to nids in 5th. For example I can choose to upgrade with flesh hooks, etc. Which meant in pre 5th you seen different types of nid armies out there. Instead in 6th where you see almost everyone play with the same cookie cutter list.

My issue with sisters is I would also like the opportunity to play them as just sisters. However i feel they decided to give less uniqueness to your options and allow you to field more models with limited options. I liked Witch hunters due to the opportunity to make your army unique and not like everyone else.

I kinda feel forced to take allies, which I would had done anyway. However I think I will wait for guard to come out and maybe Grey Knights to see what I will do here. I think I will bring back my original Mardi Gras list and go with that. I really liked my Mardi Gras list and had awesome conversion ideals. If they decide to disrupt the allies again I probably put them on display.or something.

However I have two exorcist looking at me to give them love, heaven knows the plaugeberares and plague marines they have slain. Over time would hate to see them back from retirement, although feel no pain changes and cover saves would make them less effective.

I think my list would be something like this

2 Cannoness/ Jacobs/ Celestine
    2 troops 10 man in rhinos with heavy flamers and melta
    2 Exorcist
    A few priest I have two of them
    maybe Cortez
    death cult and crusader warbands
    maybe hotshot guardsmen or daemon host warbands
    an Inquisitors, I have the Lok model with sister bits I love to use.
    Company Command squad or Primaris Psyker
    Veteran Squad 3 plasma rifles, extra armor, demo charge, melta bombs ( they are known as the he'll dropper, they jump out of the Vendetta and melta bomb and plasma targets with the psyker which I usually get pyromancy powers)
    Vendetta
    Company platoon squad
    PCS 4 melta chimeria
    usually 3 squads with lascannons
    2 special teams with flamers. I usually get chimeria s with the squad and the two squads hop in instead of the guardsmen.

After all that typical a Griffin, Russ, psychic battle squad, hydra, etc. I typically don't have the point once I get down hers, especially trying to fit in the Inquisition.

Again I'll probably wait on the guard dex to see what to do. I might do the 4 5 man sister squads with heavy flamers in each one. I probably do heavy flamers and regular flamers with 4 Immolaters with twin multi- melta.

Take five sisters. Give them a flame thrower or two or a storm bolter. Give the squad leader a plasma pistol. Stick them in a immolator with multi meltas.

Repeat 3-4 times.

then fill in your flavor of army.

Sororitas are quite good at this game if you do not act like they are marines.

They are in between ig and marines, USE that. DOMINATE mid field. Move 12" turn one then turbo, any tau or eldar player will start sweating when there are 20+ models and multimeltas in their face on turn one.

now throw in long range shenanigans and they have to choose, do I shoot at his twenty sisters that will be in rapid fire range, or do I get keep them from blasting me at long range?

Sisters are tough as nails and then you get priests lol. Additionally with inquisition you have one hell of a anti psker army.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast