BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Maybe a bit late but here is my take on starting X-Wing:

- 2x Core Sets. The best value you can get and with 2 X-Wings and 4 Tie-Fighters you have a very solid base for any squadron.
    - Buy whatever ship you like. Maybe proxy and try them out. Maneuver dials are easy to find online. X-Wing is extremely good balanced. You can build good squadrons with basicly anything. If you're a hardcore competitive player avoid the tie-advanced, it's just slightly (!) weaker. (But i would still go for one because Darth Vader is freaking awesome to fly ). Also A-Wings and Lambda Shuttles are a bit harder to fly as well.
    - My choice in more or less chronological order was: 2x Core Sets. 1x Tie-Fighter Expansion, 1x X-Wing Expansion, 2x Tie-Interceptor, 2x A-Wing, 3x Y-Wing, 2x Firespray, 1x Milennium Falcon, 3x B-Wing, 2x HWK, 2x Tie-Bomber, 1x Lambda Shuttle

My favourite Ships to fly: (This is an arbitrary personal choice)
    Rebels: B-Wing > Y-Wing > A-Wing > X-Wing > HWK > Milennium Falcon
    Imperium: Firespray > Interceptor > Lambda > Tie-Fighter > Advanced > Bomber

PS: This game is awesome!

Brother-Captain

target has but the core game on clearance. wa have 3 copies at the store here at 50 % off. I was thinking of getting into cause eof that but I have no one to play against except my 7 year old

There are both factions in the core set and the rules are very easy to learn. You can play with any friend that likes board games. Just lend them your minis for the game. I do that all the time.

Saw your thread about your game with your daughter, Deadlift. Dad tip re: the YT-1300s - in my experience they're best dealt with by focusing all your fire on them early, while you still have tons of attack dice to throw at their weedy little one defense die. They're a big fat chunk of points that, if neutralized early, can make things very hard for the Rebel player. If you let them get into a dogfight they're surprisingly hard to deal with even though they aren't especially maneuverable, since they can put 100% of their maneuvering consideration into avoiding you, without any need to maneuver to bring their guns to bear.

Use, or deliberately don't use, as your dad conscience dictates

Iron Father

Had a day of it today, 3 core sets and various lists and using the full rules. Started out with smaller games and worked our way up to 80pts. This game easy to pick up, fast to play and just so much fun.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post
    Had a day of it today, 3 core sets and various lists and using the full rules. Started out with smaller games and worked our way up to 80pts. This game easy to pick up, fast to play and just so much fun.
    It being so easy to pick up is a massive plus. It's a simple game but at the same time it's very complex. So many tactics can be used.
    I didn't do it. You can't prove i did it. Ok I'm sorry send me the bill.

Iron Father

Yep, we started at 10am (ish) and just used the starter set of rules and one set of core ships for a couple of games. We took turns with each of the sides and to begin with it really felt that the Imperials had the edge on the Rebel ship. Then we upped the game to 50pts a side and stuck with the starter rules. The games went well and then we dived in and played some 80pt games using the full rules. We again took turns with each side but experimented with upgrades and named pilots which really opened up the "tactics" of the game. R2D2 repairing shields is just awesome and Mith Mauler is easily my favorite Tie pilot. Luke predictable is awesome and with between 8 and 9 ships starting on the bigger games it really upped the dog fight feel of the game.
    We finally knocked it on the head about 6 and a half hours later. I've been playing 40k for years and I still struggle with the rules, but I think with one day of playing X-Wing we really have the mechanics of it down. Now it's just learning what combination of ships, pilots and upgrades work well together.

Librarian

Yep, we started at 10am (ish) and just used the starter set of rules and one set of core ships for a couple of games. We took turns with each of the sides and to begin with it really felt that the Imperials had the edge on the Rebel ship. Then we upped the game to 50pts a side and stuck with the starter rules. The games went well and then we dived in and played some 80pt games using the full rules. We again took turns with each side but experimented with upgrades and named pilots which really opened up the "tactics" of the game. R2D2 repairing shields is just awesome and Mith Mauler is easily my favorite Tie pilot. Luke predictable is awesome and with between 8 and 9 ships starting on the bigger games it really upped the dog fight feel of the game.
    We finally knocked it on the head about 6 and a half hours later. I've been playing 40k for years and I still struggle with the rules, but I think with one day of playing X-Wing we really have the mechanics of it down. Now it's just learning what combination of ships, pilots and upgrades work well together.
    I don't get on with Luke. Whenever I have used him he just sort of commits suicide( with help from the since gods).
    I didn't do it. You can't prove i did it. Ok I'm sorry send me the bill.

Chapter-Master

Actually I have a question about availability, some of the ships I have been recommended like the Interceptor and y wing are a complete pain to get a hold of and I've given up for the time being. Is this usual and can I expect availability of some of these popular ships to pick up again. At the moment it's either pay over double or nearly triple price or pay for shipping from America.
    [URL="http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_pg_2?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ax+wing+miniatures+gam e&page=2&keywords=x+wing+miniatures+game&ie=UTF8&q id=1389970571"]Amazon?[/URL]

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    [URL="http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_pg_2?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ax+wing+miniatures+gam e&page=2&keywords=x+wing+miniatures+game&ie=UTF8&q id=1389970571"]Amazon?[/URL]
    not at £30 for a new y-wing no

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast