BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Ithmaril's Riders of Rohan

Hey guys,

I've been working on a WotR Rohan army for a little more than two months now. As usual with big projects like this, there's a whole lot to talk about (like conversions, philosophy, army lists, fluff, etc.), but I can still go into more detail when I see that people actually care. ;) Until then, here's what you really want: Pictures, pictures, pictures.

The army so far:

Theoden:

First Eored models:

Brother-Sergeant

Separate pics of oathsworn dudes:

Sons of Eorl, led by a guy who stole Eorl's stuff from a museum:

Brother-Sergeant

That's it for now, hope you enjoyed. Stay tuned for further updates on my painting spree.

Cheers,
    Ith

Veteran-Sergeant

I certainly did enjoy this, good to see people are still putting so much effort into LotR minis! Particulary like how you've mixed all kinds of colours into the cloths of the oathsworn militia.

Brother-Sergeant

Really nice paint job. It gives me a feeling of grit and determination from those Rohirrim. Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Hephesto View Post
    I certainly did enjoy this, good to see people are still putting so much effort into LotR minis! Particulary like how you've mixed all kinds of colours into the cloths of the oathsworn militia.
    I second this. Your limited palette makes them look like a cohesive army and the way you've mixed the colors in the Oathsworn enhance their militia appearance. Looking good!

Now for the army building philosophy you mentioned earlier ; )

Cheers
    Dave

Walrus Lord

Very Nice!! I really like the Banner in the Sons of Erol unit. That's an amazing piece of work.

Brother-Sergeant

Thanks for all the positive feedback, people, glad you like. And sorry for taking so much time to answer, had a very ugly week.

Quote Originally Posted by davetaylor View Post
    Now for the army building philosophy you mentioned earlier ; )
    Army building is definitly one of the simple aspects, concerning this project.

I love Rohan, I liked the WotR-games I had so far, I've found out that I also enjoy the skirmish- which makes collectiong WotR a double pleasure. Also, there's a stable and motivated player base here in Munich. Last but not least, I've rarely had so much fun collecting and painting an army, especially remarkable considering the masses of Infantry I have to work on.

So I've decided to make this army my main stay, and army building philosophy is derived from that: I actually aim for building a very healthy collection of Rohan to give me a broad range of possibilities to play with, including logical allies. That means that I'll go for "try getting and painting at least one unit for every army list entry, multiples for common / useful / interchangable things, painting quality according to rarity.", while I'm playing regularly (at least once every 1-2 weeks) to work out lists and keep my spritis up. That's what I did so far, and I'm having fun with it. For example, I've traded in quite a lot of normal eored riders waiting to be painted in tabletop standard (like the ones you see above), enough to form 2-3 strong Eored units (6-8 companies each). Then again, I'll maybe expand the sons of eorl by 2 more companies (2 converted models, 2 metals), but that'll be all.

Now of course I have to consider how to bring those metal-omly miniatures to WotR strenght. My thoughts so far:
    - Scouts: Some original metal miniatures, but mostly Eored plastics with bows, and additional GS details for both kinds. Distinctive painting scheme.
    - Royal Knights / Guards: Really tricky, as the basic models are quite almost to beautiful and distinctive to be proxied. Not sure on thiose yet, only that I need and want them badly. Must look out for british ebay deals and further trading, maybe trying to get them together over time.
    - Grimbolds Helmingas: I've got something special coming up for those. Keep your eyes open.
    - Elfhelms riders: Build Elfhelm and stick him into a scout unit to represent Elfhelms Riders and their terrain compatability.
    - Erkenbrandts Riders: Erkenbrandt + normal Eored.

And so on- I think ythat's enough for a good view on my approach on that aspect.

Veteran-Sergeant

Looks good really catches there feel .

Brother-Sergeant

Nice work. Especially like the knights banner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast