BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default White Dwarf digital

Hi guys and gals,

I have been a subscriber to WD paper edition for the past 3 years and now it has come to renewal time.

Having been taken in by the digital codex and other publications, I am hesitating on purchasing the WD digital version too. However, I have a few queries and I'm hoping that you will be able to help. Although I do not keep every edition of WD, I do keep the ones with interesting articles (painting how to's and the conversion corner type articles). My question is with the Ipad versions do you keep all the WD on your PC or Cloud if not on your Ipad?

On the other side of the coin in it worth going into the digital WD or just staying with the good ol' paper version?

hi I have gone digital with my white dwarf

Can't say it has been an entirely positive experience but I'm sticking with it.

The major issue is down load speed, in recent months our has improved (lving in the sticks) but it was frustrating having to travel in to towns to use coffee shop wifi when a quick pop into a news agent would give the real thing quicker.

These days it is nice when it down loads in the night and you wake to find it waiting on your pad with out the need to leave the duvet.

your memory on your I pad is limited ( my major beef with the pad is you can't do any thing about that) so eventually you will come to a point where you will have to delete things WD included. Now in theory ( I have not yet had cause to try this yet) every thing you buy is recorded on the I cloud so in theory you can reload one issue you have deleted with out paying for it again.

The nice thing the digital WD is better is that it has a few (probably going to increase ) interactive features. Chief amongst these are video (mostly post battle reports) and pictures of new models that you can rotate 360.

So if you have good broadband it is worth a go. If not I'd stick paper

Dave l
    Davel miniature painter http://www.flickr.com/photos/davelminiturepainter/sets/

Chapter-Master

As davel says, it should be saved, same as any ebook/magazine you buy. The only caveat to that is if the retailer who put it on there removes it from ibooks, then it will disappear. If you contact GW customer services, they may well be able to tell you.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Brother-Sergeant

I've been grabbing the White Dwarves that I find interesting and they all stay in the library. If you run out of space you can delete 'em off your device and download them again later - no probs. And any one you buy is available to you at anytime. You'll want to use wifi to download 'em though 'cause they're about 500MB each.
    Rob
    http://itoysoldiers.com/user/16

Thanks guys for your answers.

Downloading shouldn't be a problem but as Davel said maybe the problems aren't that the WD is digital but rather the limitations to do with Ipad/Itunes/Apple products. I might not renew the subscription right away and give the next month's issue a try on a download and see from there. probs the best thing to do.

Thanks again!

Chaplain

I've had a digital WD subscription for some time, 12 issues in total now. I started off in the exact manner you're thinking, buy one digital issue and see how it goes. My strongest recommendation is that you consider what is most important to you, what is it that you seek to get out of WD; paper or digital. Here are my thoughts...

Pros:
    1. No physical space is taken up by those WD's you keep.
    2. The issues are available Friday night and you never have to worry about them being delayed or lost in the mail.
    3. They update them if there's an error worthy of correcting, updated ones can be re-downloaded.
    4. You can travel with a collection of WD's more easily. I find it nice to pull up an issue when I'm waiting for a flight or while on the plane.

Cons:
    1. iPad storage will eventually become critical. Digital WD's are quite large, averaging 500MB an issue.
    2. There is less content. The ads for WD digital claim there is more content and blah, blah, blah, but after my 12 issues I can assure you there is less content. They try to make up for it by putting in things such as 360 model views and audio cuts from BL books, but these are things that can be seen on GW's site, in fact they even link to them in addition to using them as filler. This is my biggest complaint and find it quite insulting.
    3. There are some thing's that can be done and portrayed in a paper magazine that cannot be done on an iPad. For example: no fold outs & no two page spreads.
    4. The iPad's screen area is much smaller than the paper WD this means most images are cropped, reduced in size or just omitted.

Take that as you may, I continue to use digital to save on physical space and travel. As I mentioned, figure out what is important to you before making your decision.

http://pitoftheoni.blogspot.com