BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A Tale of literally some gamers - Getting started in Warhammer for all ages.

How do!

So, just posted up in the Mythbusting thread, and felt inspired to offer a practical example of how you might go about gathering up an army.

This is loosely based on the example set down in the really rather wonderful Sigmar's Blood, and it will require some volunteers!

Why based on Sigmar's Blood? Because it offers a different take on building up your army of either [url=http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440005a&prodId=prod2340 004a]Vampire Counts[/url] or [url=http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440005a&prodId=prod2340 002a]Empire[/url]. I've cunningly linked to examples of the 'finished product' when listing the army names. Ain't I a clever one!

So if you've clicked on the link, you may be wondering 'but Mr Mystery, those armies are over £250 each, how in the name of Khorne's 27' of throbbing angry gristle is that easing us in?' Well, I'll tell you. The campaign book introduces those armies in bite sized chunks, starting with the armies respective Batallions.

The lesson here, and something I'm growing increasingly fond of is having an end product in sight, and otherwise not worrying about whether the army is 'game legal' as you progress toward the final brushstroke on the final model of the final unit. What's important is that by the end of the affair, the overall force does match up with the army listing restrictions.

Each scenario presents a battle scroll, adding additional units, and usually adding the previous scroll/scrolls to ensure progressively bigger games.

Now, outside of this book you'll need to do a little extrapolation, as those who opt to take part will need to work without carefully, cunningly written Battle Scrolls. Therefore, I propose that whilst I'm being lazy and taking on Vamps inline with Sigmar's Blood (already bought the Batallion, as I'm running through it with local manager), others come up with their own full army list, before breaking it down into a 4 month 'purchase 'n' paint plan', ideally keeping the monthly expenditure as even as possible.

This will lead to similar states, where no army is exactly game legal. But the important part is that you can still play with it, introducing new unit types and character classes each month, so you learn the system one element at a time, and get used to playing progressively larger games.

So, who else is up for joining me? Whilst you decide, I'm off to run around my back garden, which is in fact a Victorian Cemetery Garden, and then once done, use the inspiration of mildly bothering the departed to build those 20 skellingtons! And possibly the Corpse Cart.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Last edited by MMM; 01-11-2014 at 04:18 PM.

To kick off, these are the 'chunks' I'll be using, lifted from the Battle Scrolls in Sigmar's Blood, in the same order.

Ghort's Nightstalkers.

Helman Ghorst - 225 points.
    Lvl 2 Necromancer, Cursed Book, Corpse Cart

The Feasters in the Dusk - 210 points.
    20 Crypt Ghouls, Crypt Ghast

The Direpack - 80 points.
    10 Direwolves

The Konigstein Stalkers - 130 points.
    20 Skeletons with hand weapons, light armour and shields. Full command

2nd Block

The Midnight Haul

Count Mannfred - 554 points.
    Barded Nightmare

The Tithe - 100 points
    30 Zombies, musician, standard bearer

The Devils of Swartzhafen - 148 points.
    3 Vargheists, Vargoyle

3rd Block

Guardians of the Necropolis

Whispering Nell - 95 points.
    Tomb Banshee

Vhostus of the Black Scythe - 60 points.
    Cairn Wraith

The Chillgheists - 160 points.
    5 Hexwraiths, Hellwraith

The Claw of Nagash - 240 points
    Blasphemous Tome

4th Block - The Forgotten Legion

Verek the Blade - 104 points
    Wight King with shield and sword of striking.

Verek's Reavers - 210 points
    5 Black Knights, lances, barding, full command, banner of the barrows

The Sternsman - 155 points.
    20 Skeletons, Spears, full command, screaming banner.

Comes in just under 2,500 and will cost around £300, or around £75 per month. Which is nice!
    Last edited by Mr Mystery; 01-02-2014 at 03:56 PM.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

A group of us at a local store are doing a 300 points/month escalation league, similar to what's proposed here.

The point was to start a new army and build to 2,400 pts over 8 months. Since I was half way through building a WoC army, I decided I'd just plan out 2,400 more of reinforcements that I wanted to add to my army (this was purposefully character-heavy because I wanted more options there).

Here was my initial list:

Lords
    Villitch - 380

Heroes
    BSB on Daemonic Steed - c.250
    Mounted Sorcerer - c.250
    Wulfrik - 180

Core
    15 Forsaken MoS - 315
    15 Forsaken MoT - 300
    2 Marked Chariots - 240
    12 Hounds - 96
    10 Marauder Cavalry - 190

Special
    3 Ogres with great weapons - 123

Rare
    Spawn - 60

Just over two months in now (i.e. Nov and Dec 2013) and I've done Wulfrik, Tzeentch BSB/Sorcerer on Daemonic Mount, Sorcerer/Exalted on Steed of Slaanesh, 2 Knights, 15 Forsaken, and a Slaanesh command group, so that's about 1000 points I reckon. (I own most of what I want, so the aim is to build and paint each month, rather than purchase.)

Battle-Brother

I started my vampire army with one battalion box and a vampire lord. A great way to pick up all the models and with the savings ( at the time) I basically got a free corpse cart with the other units in the set.
    Off with there heads!!!!!

Alpha Legion Operative

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    So, who else is up for joining me?
    Mr Mystery, I shall join thee on thy quest!

I too am doing Vampire Counts in order to play Sigmar's Blood with my brother, who has an empire army.

I've got the battalion already, and have a few models which I'll be subbing in from my old VC force and TK collection respectively, as I'd like the force to be something not just for Sigmar's Blood.

To fit the Sigmars Blood Style, I've broken it down into 4 chunks, though I may split these, or add others as necessary.

Chunk 1 - VC Battleforce:

Corpse Cart
    20 Ghouls
    20 SW w/ HW&S
    10 Dire Wolves

£75 - Purchased!

Chunk 2:

Count Mannfred - £23.50

30 TK SW w/ Spears - £0 from existing collection

3 Crypt Horrors - £29

£52.50

Chunk 3:

Vampire on Foot w/ Shield - £0 from existing collection
    Necrarch Vampire on Foot - £0 from existing collection
    5 Hexwraiths - £20
    Black Coach - £0 from existing collection

£20

Chunk 4:

FW Wight King BSB - £14.50
    5 Black Knights - £0 spares from Hexwraiths plug existing TK horses
    20 extra SW w/ HW&S - £31

£45.50

Looking forward to getting started!

Chapter-Master

I already have a large Empire force, so sadly won't be joining you, but this is exactly the sort of thing we need to promote Warhammer, so good on you Mystery.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

I have nearly 4k of Tomb Kings so I won't be joining either. Good luck though guys.
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

No worries chaps!

Right, having singularly failed to build the Skellingtons last night (I got distracted. Can't recall what by. But it was telly related) I will do those tonight, and hope for a break in the weather to get spraying!

I get paid on the 23rd Jan, 21st Feb and 21st March, so expect all to be painted some time in April!

Alpha Legion Operative

That's laying down a gauntlet!

Not sure I can match that, as have some work to do for others (boo!) but I'll do my best!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast