BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Librarian

Default Primary Weapon & Melta USR.

Hello all.

I have a Reaver Battle Titan equipped with Melta Cannon: Range 72" S10 AP1 Primary 1, Apocalyptic Blast, Melta.

At ranges above 36" armour penetration would be S10 + 2D6 - picking the highest.

However at ranges 36" or less is it a) S10 + 2D6 x 2 - picking the highest 2D6.
    b) S10 + 4D6 - picking the 2 highest D6.
    c) Something i haven't thought of.

Any & all help appreciated.

David5th.
    My son, ask for thyself another Kingdom, for that which I leave is too small for thee.

First-Captain

c) might be 3D6 pick the highest two (two from melta plus one extra from primary)

not sure which it is though...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Sounds like you make 2 separate 2d6 rolls, and take the one that is higher.

Chaplain

Maybe it is nothing of the above. The melta USR takes precedence of the primary USR and you roll two dices as usal and add their scores together. The primary usr does not go into the special weapon rules, so the simply stand on their own.
    Peace through superior Firepower!

Primary Weapon specifies two dice instead of one, picking the highest.

Melta specifies an additional die.

I can only really interpret that two ways:

1) Roll 2d6 and pick the highest, then roll an additional die and add it to that.
    2) Roll 2d6 and pick the highest, then roll 2d6 more and pick the highest from those, then add them together.

It depends on how you interpret "instead of one."

That said, there is also the possibility that once you are rolling an additional die, the Primary Weapon rule no longer applies, as you can't roll anything "instead of one" if you're rolling two. But I don't think it's meant to be that ungenerous.

This was addressed in the previous Apocalypse rules, but I can't quite remember what it was. I'm pretty sure it was like #1 from Houghten's reply:

Roll 2d6 and pick the highest, then roll an additional die and add it to that.

Of course we have new Apocalypse rules, and the lawyers would love to write pages about it, however I feel that settles it nicely. One bonus shouldn't get rid of another bonus, especially if you're paying nearly 1500 points for the model.