BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Default Mortars vs Missile Launchers?

Hey guys quick question, read around rulebook for 20 mins now and cant exactly seem to find the difference.

From what I've gathered is...

Both roll to hit first after declaring the target, after rolling to hit they roll a "Scatter dice", then roll wounds etc

Missile Launcher (for 10 points) Can pick between frag or krak shots. So the benefit is multi purpose.

Mortar Ignores line of sight but cant pick between the two shots.

This seems almost odd since wouldn't it be better to just run mortars for free then a couple las cannons instead of missile launcher for the kraks?

Anyways I may be missing something, fill me in <3

Veteran-Sergeant

We're talking IG, yes? One of the few 40k armies I don't own or play against regularly. I assume Mortars have barrage which would allow you to play barrage sniper and currently you don't have a Frak missile option. I'd lean towards Mortars, but remember I have little knowledge of the IG.

Missile Launchers are more 'direct damage' in so far as they roll to hit with Krak Missiles, but 'blast scatter' with Frag. They're favoured due to their flexibility, but always require line of sight.

Mortars are less flexible, but have perks all their own. For a start, no line of sight is required. This can be handy! Also as they are Barrage weapons, they can deny cover saves in certain circumstances, as the Cicero save is worked out from the centre of the blast template.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Librarian

okay well to start it all depends on what you want to accomplish. AT or AI the missile launhers will do both while the mortars will only do the one.

Mortars wont need line or sight and honestly for their points you cant really go wrong amungst an infantry line.
    Mortars are also able to be used as a cheap all around sniper.

I don't run any in my tank company but i do run them in a hybrid list. for their points its easy enough to drop in 2-3 units of them behind your lines they are a scoring unit and honestly hiding them out of sight and having them still being able to contribute has paid off in the past.

Brother-Sergeant

What do you mean exactly when you guys say mortar is a "sniper"?

Veteran-Sergeant

Damage from barrage starts under the hole of the template and moves out from there so you can 'snipe' IC, squad leaders, Special/Heavy Weapons, etc. in a squad since they don't follow the standard closest model to the shooter rule for damage.

Brother-Captain

I prefer Missile Launchers for their versatility. Also, using barrage weapons to "snipe" makes me feel dirty.
    There is one direction: FORWARD!

The other thing to point about mortars + lascannon vs. missile launchers is that the former requires multiple heavy weapon teams. If you have a list where you can always have a mortar team and a lascannon team in a situation where you would otherwise have a single missile team ... then yeah, the two specialized teams are probably better than the single generalist team. But I think it would be difficult to ensure that you always have that option, both in a list-building sense and tactically.

Librarian

except you have to consider the cost vs the survivability argument. the mortar team can be tucked away and hidden and still be effective protecting it from enemy fire. their also the cheapest teams available. for under 200 points you can get 3 mortar teams. your no able to do that with lascannons or with missile launchers. each has an upgraded cost to the base unit of mortars. Both of the later also need line of sight. due to their cost each will also be prohibative to buying additional teams as their prices will quickly escalate. also due to the nature of their placement while you can mitigate them by placing them into cover you also will be lesening their effectiveness. if their in cover their lanes of fire will also have to be considered. and they will be taking fire from turn 1. for me keep those heavy weapons teams as cheap as possible so its mortars all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by biffster666 View Post
    Damage from barrage starts under the hole of the template and moves out from there so you can 'snipe' IC, squad leaders, Special/Heavy Weapons, etc. in a squad since they don't follow the standard closest model to the shooter rule for damage.
    Could someone provide me with a page number from the rulebook about this? The group I am playing with now doesn't follow this rule properly and I'd like to show them the correct passage in the book. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast