BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

View Poll Results: What is your preferred way to get in games?

Voters
285. You may not vote on this poll
  • Random pick up-games (everything allowed, first come first serve)

52 18.25%
  • Limited pick-up games (you filter pickup opponents (no Escalation, etc))

31 10.88%
  • Pre-arranged games (you and your opponent arrange ahead of time)

175 61.40%
  • Competitive games (tournaments, I deal with whatever appears across from me)

27 9.47%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Fly Lord

Default What is your preferred way to play?

It's time for a community poll and to really get some percentage breakdowns.

What is your preferred way to get in games?

1) Random pick up-games (everything allowed, first come first serve)
    2) Limited pick-up games (you filter pickup opponents (no Escalation, etc))
    3) Pre arranged games (you and your opponent arrange ahead of time)
    4) Competitive games (tournaments, I deal with whatever appears across from me)

Vote!

While not on the poll note whether you play the majority of your games in a private setting (a home), or a public setting (a store, event, etc...)
    Last edited by Bigred; 01-05-2014 at 01:01 PM.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Brother-Sergeant

At a store, though for many many years before I moved it was in friends basements. Apartment living just doesnt have the space you know?

And while I do like to prearrange games, its very often 'bring whatever' just with a predone point value.

Megabattles, in store, ideally with a time limit on turns

I have not much time, so most games are played in Home, with friends, mostly prearenged.

I play almost exclusively at my LGS despite the fact that I have two game tables in my basement...

Chaplain

If we play a "normal" game, we set a pointvalue and go for it. No one will bring a superheavy or extra fortifications if its not agreed by both sides.

In the last days or week we play a little campaing more to have a narritve to go on. In this campaign we dived our collection of chaos and imperial army in pre set armys. This results in some armys about ca. 1,7 K with only two troop choices, but it results in very exciting games.
    Peace through superior Firepower!

Iron Father

Prearranged, games night is once a fortnight. Friends, beer, dice, snacks and 40k. Brilliant.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Brother-Captain

I used to play prearranged ones with friends, often part of campaigns or narratives. Lately my games have been small pickup games at my LGS, but filtered in that I tend to only play people that I already know or are vouched for and I avoid games over 1k or with digital supplements. (1k is because I prefer smaller scale skirmishes and the store has smallish tables that make 2k+ games impractical, digital because I don't play anything I haven't seen the rules for and nobody brings their tablet to the store; someone has printed off the relevant rules parts for their SoB and I'd have absolutely no issues playing them.)
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Chaplain

Pretty much every game I play I arrange in advance due to my work schedules.
    They are all at the North West Gaming Centre in Stockport which can cater for around 130 players at a time, so table space is rarely an issue.

I have absolutely no problems with a pick up game with any and all rules thrown in.
    However, I don't have that much free time to game in and sometimes I can't fit a battle in for a couple of months at a stretch.
    So turning up for a game and not getting one, which has happened several times in the past, is really not on.

Hence, I always try to arrange games in advance.

Personnaly I play to play and to have fun. Randomness is good for playing against all sorts or armies of all shapes & sizes. As long as I get a bit of epicness (scout sgt Bob killing a deamon prince with a bolt pistol shot, termie Dan surviving 5 turns of army shot on him alone, etc.)

Prearranged is good but I tend to end up playing against the same armies.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast