BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Battle-Brother

Default IC joining Riptides

So I've seen a lot of people discussing adding a commander to a a riptide to give it the benefit of the various signature systems. The rulebook states that independent characters cannot join units that always consist of individual models and then specifically references monstrous creatures. If the riptide purchases a drone(s) then it becomes a mixed unit type.

So can an independent character only join a riptide if the riptide purchases drones?

I've called GW to check this and they've consistently said no, ICs can't join riptides as they're a unit of one monstrous creatures but until its in an FAQ, people will argue that they can

Riptides can take drones, making it a multi model unit.

IC's can join multi model units.

Someone at GW doesn't know what they're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Trianglebob777 View Post
    The rulebook states that independent characters cannot join units that always consist of individual models ... So can an independent character only join a riptide if the riptide purchases drones?
    I don't think you even need to purchase the drones. The mere fact that you can purchase drones means the Riptide is not a unit always consisting of individual models.

Quote Originally Posted by SaveModifier View Post
    I've called GW to check this and they've consistently said no, ICs can't join riptides as they're a unit of one monstrous creatures but until its in an FAQ, people will argue that they can
    I don't know who you spoke to, but they obviously don't know what the rules actually are. Maybe it's unintended and ought to be changed by an erratum, but the rules seem pretty clear as they stand.

Battle-Brother

I'm inclined to agree that because they CAN take drones they're not just a monstrous creature unit. However, of they don't take drones they are a monstrous creature and not a unit. I guess just wait for the FAQ.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

they can be a MC all they want for anyone cares.

IC may not join any unit that always consists of a single model. IE: an sanguinary priest may not join mephiston.

However if there is ever a chance for a unit to contain more than one model, riptide, hive tyrant, carnifex....etc then it does not matter that the option has been exercised or not, only that it exists. ie: a prime MAY join a carnifex, even if it was purchased alone.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Nutsy View Post
    Riptides can take drones, making it a multi model unit.

IC's can join multi model units.

Someone at GW doesn't know what they're talking about.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    they can be a MC all they want for anyone cares.

IC may not join any unit that always consists of a single model. IE: an sanguinary priest may not join mephiston.

However if there is ever a chance for a unit to contain more than one model, riptide, hive tyrant, carnifex....etc then it does not matter that the option has been exercised or not, only that it exists. ie: a prime MAY join a carnifex, even if it was purchased alone.
    Agreed.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    +1
    Never call GW or talk to a red shirt. 9 out of 10 times you probably know the rules better than them.