BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Transport secrecy.

Hi Guys and Gals,

A quick question for you all... Do I need to tell my opponent what is in my transports? The specific example is 2 Land Raiders. One full of Death Company and one full of THSS termies. Do I have to tell the person I'm playing against what is in which transport.

Many Thanks

Yes, 40K is fully open lists and no hidden stuff.

Unless it's specifically agreed as part of a scenario....

Yes... it's polite,,and otherwise is massively exploitable for cheating!

cheers

Charlie

You can avoid exploitation issues by having all transports written down on a piece of paper so the contents don't get the shell game, but it's supposed to be open information... open lists, no secret wargear, etc.

I have seen players with models on top of their transports to clearly indicate what is inside, or post-it notes stuck underneath. All my rhinos have unit/squad marks which match the markings on the units inside.
    At the start of most games you show you opponent your list and indicate which transports house which units. Its pretty much standard practise.

This is in the big rulebook page 118 paragraph titled "A note on Secrecy".

But... Competitive/hardline players also note that once you have run the list through with your opponent at the start it is "by agreement" to further share your roster. Providing you are not exploiting things (as mentioned above) there is no requirement to further remind your opponent of the contents of your transports. So, its kind of tough luck if your opponent forgets what is in them.
    Last edited by Kevlarshark; 01-06-2014 at 12:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

No, "competative" players, as in tournament players, will mostly tell you to bugger off if you try to pull that, furthermore most TO's would penalise you for trying that in a game
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Hmmm.... on re reading the transport bit it seems you are correct, you do have to always make it clear which units are embarked on each transport.

As for the list.....Not really saying it the best way to make friends. But according to the book you are only required to share your list (during the game) only if players agree to do so. So if someone choose to be awkward about this, the rules unfortunately have their back.

Chapter-Master

Always, always, always declare what units are in what transports. One of the douchiest things you can do, in terms of general tournament etiquette, which is an extension of casual gaming etiquette, is hiding what units are in what transports. It's right up there with fudging dice rolls and playing too many points and things like that.

Place a model from the squad next to, or on top of, the transport. Just do it. Unless you've got, like, identical little 5-man DA units or something, place models so that your opponent can easily keep track of it.

I've actually had opponents thank me after the game for doing this, because they'd been cheated before by someone who magically had X unit in Y transport when they were pretty sure that wasn't the case the turn before.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

I thought that door on the top of the rhino was for paining a big ol tac arrow on it with the squad number in the middle!?! That's not a rule or somesuch ?

Thanks for the information. I was in no way trying to cheat though DarkLink! Which fudging dice or taking to many points most certainly is! (Did not know people where so sad as to cheat at 40K) My thought process was in a 'real' battle what unit the enemy had in there transports would be a mystery to you. Could be kittens or it could be ninjas! I of course understand that it is not a real battle before some one jumps on me.

Again thank you all very much for taking the time to answer my question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast