BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Fly Lord

Default Legalwatch: Chapterhouse vs Games Workshop - Appeal filed

Chapterhouse has started the appeals process by filing its notice of appeal.

Appeal Number 14-1027 in the 7th circuit.

Transcript is due on the 21st of January.
    Chapterhouse's brief is due the 18th of February.

NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that Chapterhouse Studios LLC, defendant in the above
    named case, hereby appeals to the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit from: (1) the Judgment in a Civil Action entered in this action on June 27, 2013 (Dkt. No. 403), including all prior and underlying interlocutory orders; (2) the Order on Post-Trial Motions entered in this action on December 5, 2013 (Dkt. No. 462); and (3) the Permanent Injunction entered in this action on December 5, 2013 (Dkt. No. 465), as modified by the Plaintiff and Defendant’s joint Stipulation Regarding Disposition of Materials on December 13, 2013 (Dkt. No. 469).
    Dated: January 6, 2014
    Wilmer Hale has joined Winston & Strawn as counsel for Chapterhouse.

Donald R. Steinberg
    Louis W. Tompros
    Kevin A. Goldman
    Elizabeth C. Mooney

of WILMER CUTLER PICKERING HALE AND DORR LLP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ca7-Tra0sportRoom-servlet=ShowDocMulti&dktType=dktPublic&caseId=22064&outputType=doc&d=6542982&o.pdf 
Views:	139 
Size:	679.1 KB 
ID:	6658
    Last edited by Bigred; 01-08-2014 at 01:53 PM.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

I'm just not positive where this gets them. I would have thought they would have waited to see if GW appealed first. Maybe they felt they could do better than they did?

I get that it's "cool" to be anti-GW, but i hope Chapterhouse gets slapped on this since it feels like now they're overreaching. They should've been happy with their substantial victory slice, but now they want the whole pie. Their products aren't even that great to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaznak View Post
    I'm just not positive where this gets them. I would have thought they would have waited to see if GW appealed first. Maybe they felt they could do better than they did?
    If I were Chapterhouse, I'd have declared victory and went home. They basically won already and this has the potential to be a bridge to far as it were.

First-Captain

What are they actually appealing? Sorry, not too good at legal stuff, but it seems they are appealing that GW got to keep some IP, almost as if they are trying to say, "Please US Courts, let us make money from someone else's work."
    For the Greater good.

You win... And then appeal? Good luck with that.

They didn't win hard enough I am guessing? vOv

Librarian

I wonder if this judge will actually apply English law a bit more, I know it's only a consideration but the last judge just ignored it and went for American company must wins

I was kind of confused by this too. I opened the thread thinking that GW was going to appeal. For pretty much all intents and purposes Chapterhouse won this. They get to keep making their products pretty much the same as before and the ruling drew the lines better on what GW can legally claim is within their IP so... What is Chapterhouse thinking here?

Quote Originally Posted by Blaznak View Post
    The Federal Rules of Civil Procedure have strict deadlines to file any appeal. If Chapterhouse waited for GW to appeal, it may have been too late to also appeal. As for who appeals, first it doesn't matter. You can cross-appeal within a few days of another party appealing. I expect GW to Cross-Appeal Chapterhouse's appeal.

As for why, I would say the terms of the Permanent Injunction are sufficient grounds. The order pretty much clamps down on a lot of Chapterhouse's arguments including a determination that Chapterhouse waived a few key arguments. Legally, it wouldn't be too good to let that pass by unchallenged.

However we won't know exactly what issues they are appealing until the briefs are filed.

Most likely the 7th Cir will just uphold the jury verdict unless some key issue of law prior to trial wasn't applied correctly by the Trial Judge.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast