BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: WD stopping?

Veteran-Sergeant

I had big hopes when I was told it was to be revamped, at that point I hadn't bought a WD probably in two years, and like many I bought the 'first' couple of issues only to be underwhelmed, then stopped again. Maybe I view it with rose tinted specs, but back in the day when Paul Sawyer was editor, there were still adverts but still more content, like short stories, a letters page, - you used to actually get excited a few days before it was due to come out. Moving on a few years, the content seemed to drop, there was less articles showing conversions and scratchbuilding and more 'we make this, so you don't have to', but I still bought it, often on the strength of the 'Eavy Metal painting tutorials alone - I'm guessing these got dropped as GW shifted its focus more towards younger players, who tend to care less about the appearance of stuff and just want to get it on the table. Talking to other hobbyists I know many of us liked the same things, and if they could tap into it, they could make it a brilliant publication again. Another trick would be to integrate Forgeworld's products and gaming systems more into the magazine - the HH rules and minis are very popular, particularly with adult gamers (who can afford it) and could warrant a section of its own, they could even serialize some of the novelllas and shorter stories. Maybe the Warhammer visions will be more aimed at the adult segment of the market, and will have more of the stuff we are looking for.
    When I was younger, they all laughed at me when I told them I wanted to be a comedian - they're not laughing now!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    From I'm told (do not necessarily read as truth), I think people are underestimating just what Warhammer Visions might deliver.

It's 100 pages more than the current monthly White Dwarf....without anything about this months releases.

That's a lot of pages to fill. And a lot of potential content. Yes I'm sure some will be just gumph filler, that's unavoidable. I mean look at wimmin's glossies, and those magazines for men what can't reach the top shelf. Mostly just adverts. Very little actual worthwhile content, but the stuff that is worthwhile seems pretty good (not that I read them. I'm too much of a nerd).
    Oh, visions I'm trying to be positiive about, because that has all the stuff worth bothering to read in. It's the £2.50 weekly one that worries/confuses/angers me.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Chapter-Master

but £2.00 a month extra?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    From I'm told (do not necessarily read as truth), I think people are underestimating just what Warhammer Visions might deliver.

It's 100 pages more than the current monthly White Dwarf....without anything about this months releases.

That's a lot of pages to fill. And a lot of potential content. Yes I'm sure some will be just gumph filler, that's unavoidable. I mean look at wimmin's glossies, and those magazines for men what can't reach the top shelf. Mostly just adverts. Very little actual worthwhile content, but the stuff that is worthwhile seems pretty good (not that I read them. I'm too much of a nerd).
    From what I've heard it's safer to be cautiously pessimistic. If it turns out to be a worthwhile read then excellent, but GW doesn't have much form there. What I've heard is that it's just a very large catalog, made up mostly of photos and filler. I've even heard there will be short enough text that it'll be provided in 3 languages, so we're potentially looking at a book of mini's photos (some 'eavy metal, some staffers, some customers) with captions.

There's only so many photos I can look at of stock Space Marines in a single sitting.

It's official.

[URL="http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/wnt/blog.jsp?pid=12800022"]http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/wnt/blog.jsp?pid=12800022[/URL]

I'm hopeful, I actually liked the revamped White Dwarf a lot more than most people seemed to.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Well statistically someone had to

I like the terrain features, new style painting guides and various other things quite a bit, it seemed well received in my club as well. But I always assumed they would get around to having my hobby content eventually... Looking forward to Warhammer Visions more than Weekly Dwarf though.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Veteran-Sergeant

I never understood what the current WD hate was - only 1/3 is dedicated to new releases. Unlike most other magazines it doesn't actually contain adverts remember. But there is plenty of "hobby content", it's just that it's it is either for the wrong game system or that John Blanche gives them nightmares.

Chapter-Master

Because we remember the Fat Bloke glory days, or some people before that...

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast