BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: WD stopping?

Iron Father

£7 is a step too far for me personally, unless they do something radical like include money off vouchers then I shall pick and choose which issue I buy instead of subscribing. If you commit to buying the weekly edition and the monthly your talking £17 a month or £204 a year. That's steep. I do suspect they will have a money off deal if you buy a years joint subscription.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Or we can wait and see what the actual content is, before decrying the price.
    The thing is Mystery, for any magazine that's steep, considering I can buy x 2 new X-Wing models for just £3 more if I were to buy the weekly ones as well.
    Hell I'm not sure what an xbox magazine costs now but it used to be around £6 and that came with playable content.

I'm not saying GW have got it wrong, the content could be fantastic. But for me no magazine is worth spending £7.50 a month on. GW prices in general have got to my upper limit now. That's my choice and I certainly don't begrudge others who are happy to pay these prices.
    Last edited by Deadlift; 01-15-2014 at 10:57 AM.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Again, depends entirely upon the content.

If it's 'new and improved! Guaranteed 60% MORE WAFFLING!' then yep, £7 or whatever is a bit of a rip.

But....if it's engaging content of interest to a wide range of hobbyists, then that's a totally different matter.

People seem to be judging it purely on the price, and that's silly.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    True but I can't think of any magazine quite like WD to be honest. I mean of course it is basically a catalogue if you consider that it is aimed at people who buy GW products and contains nothing but GW products. But in terms of explicit 'buy the shinies' it's about a third which isn't bad. It also has a much larger pagecount and similar price to most niche magazines I'm familiar with and unlike said magazines and all mainstream magazines none of the cost to the publisher is subsided by outside advertising material.

Most other niche magazines I'm familiar with weigh in at around 70 pages, A5 format often (if full colour) and are around half ads to help subsidise the cost.

Quite like WD in what regards? Subject matter? Quality? I know I go on about it, but you should have a flick through Wargames Illustrated or No Quarter if you see them and compare what you get for the price. Both are run by wargames manufacturers and both plug their own stuff. You can't really get a closer comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    People seem to be judging it purely on the price, and that's silly.
    It depends on what it's sitting next to. In a newsagent it'll be a good 50% more than the other gaming mags, in GW it'll be beside Black Library books for £1 more*, in the FLGS it'll probably be in line of sight to mini's blisters for cheaper. It's also jumping out of the train reading/impulse buy market, since it's going for about a fiver to the best part of a tenner. Every month. And that's ignoring the weekly one.

I know we'll need to see what's it in first, but it's going to have to be absolutely stunning to be worth the asking price.

*To illustrate my point, "Mark Of Calth", the latest HH novel launched tomorrow, contains 416 pages and is presumably properly edited, has a retail price of £7.99. 99p more than this 236 page catalog-book. Which is better value for money?
    Last edited by Herzlos; 01-15-2014 at 11:15 AM.

Alpha Legion Operative

Appreciate people have seen the GW blog, but for those that didn't catch my post in the corporate forum:

UPDATE 15/01/2014:

Further info on WDD and WH:V...

• All DD subscribers will get a letter and will have their subscriptions converted into Warhammer Visions. Cost disparities will be handled on a case basis, depending on when you took out your existing sub.
    • Existing White Dwarf Vouchers can be traded in for Warhammer Visions, netting you £2 of extra 'value'
    • All existing WD home delivery subscribers will receive the first issue of White Dwarf Weekly for free as a 'thank you'. Whether Voucher subscribers will receive a free copy or not I don't know.
    • All new WV subscriptions will be for home delivery only. The voucher system has been scrapped and is no longer available.
    • New WV subs will be £65 for 12 issues, a higher % saving vs the existing White Dwarf monthly, but at a higher total price.
    • There will be no subscription for White Dwarf Weekly, & it will only be available from your local GW store, independent stockist or the GW website.
    • The first WDW has a rules section.

GW release here: [url]http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/wnt/blog.jsp?pid=12800022-gws[/url]
    My End Times Project Log on BOLS, current project: Undead Goblins! - http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?50621-ACE01-s-End-Times-begin!-A-plog-to-keep-me-motivated

I remember when you didn't have to wait for a new codex to get new models. Because when the Razorback or Warp Spiders were introduced, the rules came out that month in WD.

If these new magazines consistently contain new rules, I might actually start looking at them again. I had a subscription back in the 90s, when awesome stuff (meaning playable game content) came out every month.

Last happened twoish years ago, with the Orky and Marine flyers.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by ACE01 View Post
    Appreciate people have seen the GW blog, but for those that didn't catch my post in the corporate forum:

UPDATE 15/01/2014:

Further info on WDD and WH:V...

• All DD subscribers will get a letter and will have their subscriptions converted into Warhammer Visions. Cost disparities will be handled on a case basis, depending on when you took out your existing sub.
    • Existing White Dwarf Vouchers can be traded in for Warhammer Visions, netting you £2 of extra 'value'
    • All existing WD home delivery subscribers will receive the first issue of White Dwarf Weekly for free as a 'thank you'. Whether Voucher subscribers will receive a free copy or not I don't know.
    • All new WV subscriptions will be for home delivery only. The voucher system has been scrapped and is no longer available.
    • New WV subs will be £65 for 12 issues, a higher % saving vs the existing White Dwarf monthly, but at a higher total price.
    • There will be no subscription for White Dwarf Weekly, & it will only be available from your local GW store, independent stockist or the GW website.
    • The first WDW has a rules section.

GW release here: [url]http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/wnt/blog.jsp?pid=12800022-gws[/url]
    I like the fact that I'm getting a WDW, but unless it's utterly awesome, there's no chance I'm going online to buy it every week. I'm assuming my long standing DD will continue at the same price, it's never changed with previous prices increases. They better hurry up and get me that letter, I want to know what is happening.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

First-Captain

Angry

I originally posted this in the Corporate thread, but here's my two pence worth.

mehhh

GW have more details online now, and you can only get the weekly from GW Stores Independent stockists (good luck finding one) and the GW online store.....

bad decision IMVHO....

Still at least the Visions will be available from anyone who previously stocked WD....

I just hope issue one isn't polybagged, I want to look through it before deciding to shell out my hard earned Pound Sterling....
    I think it's a very disgraceful move on GW's part to ONLY have the Weekly available in there stores or independent stockists, here in East London the closest GW store is either Oxford Street's Plaza or Coven Garden, failing that Romford (which technically is in Essex).

As for Independent stockists, several shops in East London which used to stock GW products are all stopping from stocking said products, which means I cannot get to any place which I can buy a copy with any quickness or ease.

As for buying it online, by the time it will arrive it will be out of date already...

And before you say anything about ebook or iPad editions, I don't own/can't afford either devices to actually read an e-copy of the damn thing
    Last edited by Darren Richardson; 01-16-2014 at 02:58 AM.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast