BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Al Shut View Post
    But they wouldn't have to test on their first turn, would they?
    No they wouldn't. but they certainly cant "disrupt" the enemy on the turn they show up either, unless you want to by spinefist, but then no one is going to be overly worried about expensive S3 shots.....

Things we always got free, now cost points. Thorax swarms for tyrannofex, stinger salvo, etc. Yes, we got point reductions, but now all our options that used to be free cost a crap ton.
    THIS is a major issue, there are very few units in the book that work naked, and as soon as you put the tools on them that let them do their job then we're right back where we started or worse of in some cases.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by kublade View Post
    The myscetic spore loss was extremely insulting to me, as I just finished making one in late November. Why would they take away such an important, and iconic model? How do our models arrive to the battlefield now? We just land our huge bio-ships and drop off the swarm?
    Yeah, I'm with you, there. It looks like the entire army HAS to foot-slog it now - no more army-wide deep striking, period. That makes set up (the most important part of 40K, eh?) routine as hell, and will make 'Nids a lot less interesting to play.

I played a test game last night with a buddy of mine.

Mawlocs are going to absolutely eviscerate backfield troops. Watch out if people take 3.

Also, the Crone's vector strike is probably going to be one of the most hated things in the game.

I kitted both my Flyrants out with 1 x twin-linked devourers, LW + BS + TS, and the haywire thorax swarm. I REALLY like the +3 to initiative, and you're not giving up much shooting that isn't made up for elsewhere in the codex.

Biovores are really good, really like them, and I really like the new Exocrines. Not as impressed with the Haruspex yet, and not sure that Lictors are really playable.

And, believe it or not, there might be some security through obscurity for warriors. With all that other stuff on the table, if you play them right and protect them, they might actually last the game. Deathspitters + rending claws makes a squad of 3 pretty effective. I was just using them for backfield synapse but they bring some credible damage to the table if someone wants to try to mess with them back there.

Still it was only one game but I did like the way it went. At 1995 points, I had 6MCs and 120 gants on the table, plus 6 warriors and 2 biovores.

We'll see how the next few games go.

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by kjolnir View Post
    I played a test game last night with a buddy of mine.

Mawlocs are going to absolutely eviscerate backfield troops. Watch out if people take 3.

Also, the Crone's vector strike is probably going to be one of the most hated things in the game.

I kitted both my Flyrants out with 1 x twin-linked devourers, LW + BS + TS, and the haywire thorax swarm. I REALLY like the +3 to initiative, and you're not giving up much shooting that isn't made up for elsewhere in the codex.

Biovores are really good, really like them, and I really like the new Exocrines. Not as impressed with the Haruspex yet, and not sure that Lictors are really playable.

And, believe it or not, there might be some security through obscurity for warriors. With all that other stuff on the table, if you play them right and protect them, they might actually last the game. Deathspitters + rending claws makes a squad of 3 pretty effective. I was just using them for backfield synapse but they bring some credible damage to the table if someone wants to try to mess with them back there.

Still it was only one game but I did like the way it went. At 1995 points, I had 6MCs and 120 gants on the table, plus 6 warriors and 2 biovores.

We'll see how the next few games go.
    I think this is the way to play this codex... a lot of bodies backed up by hard hitting MC's. Overwhelm target priority to the point where so much stuff crashes into your opponents lines that it all hurts terribly. I'm not looking so doom-and-gloom now, I'm starting to see some definite upside to the codex.

I'd agree with that.

The book appears to lack an automatic win button unit. Which to my mind is how things should be.

There are various builds a player might consider, with the main deciding factor being personal preference. Is the army top tier or what have you? Absolutely no idea, nor does anyone really until a bunch of games have been played against a bunch of different opponents.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bubonicus View Post
    Yeah, I'm with you, there. It looks like the entire army HAS to foot-slog it now - no more army-wide deep striking, period. That makes set up (the most important part of 40K, eh?) routine as hell, and will make 'Nids a lot less interesting to play.
    Exactly why I complain so much about the CSM Codex... no viable alternative to "deploy in own deployment zone, and come across in Rhinos". Except for Nids it will be "on foot". And CSM at least get the option to run Allies who do have alternate deployment options for Troops. Nids are very much boned in terms of not having options to play differently in different games.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

you can buy hive commander on two tyrants and out flank. if you want
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Posted this in the lists section first but thought it should go here instead. I will likely trade out the hiveguard for venomthropes freeing up 30 points for some spore mines go with this as my first list for 6th ed codex. I don't think I will stick with the Haruspex but wanted to field it just to see if he is worth taking up an elite slot very crowded section. I will be using the old armorcast models for both the exocrine and the Haruspex... they are oop but were made with a license from GW so I don't see why they could not be used in a tournament if it comes to that. Overall the drops in points are balanced by the increases in points if I stick close to my old list. More than likely I will rethink a few things like warriors, they didn't become better but may have uses if only because other new scary MCs will take more fire.

This is a fairly typical list of mine 2k single Force org chart(commonly played here due to tourney rules); Followed by what I will likely do for the new codex (sticking as close as possible while fitting in new stuff)

5th ed 2000pts single force org list
    HQ (405pts)

Hive Tyrant (275pts) Base @ 170 with Lash whip and bonesword + Regeneration (20pts) + Toxin sacs (10pts) + Twin-linked devourers with brainleech worms (15pts) + Wings (60pts)

Tyranid Prime (130pts) Base @ 80 + Adrenal glands (10pts) + Deathspitter(5pts) + Lash whip and bonesword(15pts) + Regeneration(10pts) + Toxin sacs (10pts)

Elites (470pts)

Hive Guard Brood (150pts) 3x Hive Guard @ 50pts each

The Doom of Malan'Ttai (145pts) base @ 90pts with Mycectic spore 40pts + barbed strangler 15pts

Zoanthrope Brood (180pts) 3x Zoanthrope @ 60pts each

Troops (510pts)

Termagant Brood (300pts) 30x Termagant @ 5pts each with devourers @ pts

Tervigon (troop) (205pts) Base @ 160pts + Crushing Claws(25pts) + Toxin Sacs (10pts) + Adrenal glands(10pts)

Fast Attack (140pts)

Gargoyle Brood (140pts) 20x Gargoyle with toxin @ 7pts each

Heavy Support (475pts)

Biovore Brood (135pts) 3x Biovore @ 45pts each

Mawloc (170pts)

Mawloc (170pts)

6th ed 2000pts single force org list
    HQ (480pts)

Hive Tyrant (285pts) Base @ 165 + Lash whip and bonesword(20pts) + Regeneration (30pts) + Toxin sacs (10pts) + Twin-linked devourers with brainleech worms (15pts) + Wings (35pts) {adding tail pincer(10pts) because an extra attack can't hurt hum well he does have ML 2 now}

Tyranid Prime (195pts) Base @ 125 + Adrenal glands (15pts) + Deathspitter(5pts) + Lash whip and bonesword(20pts) + Regeneration(30pts) + Toxin sacs (10pts) {huge increase in points ouch! may have to drop regen... still too costly damn don't know if I will field him, liked to pop him into the 30 strong group of termagants.}

Elites (490pts)

Hive Guard Brood (165pts) 3x Hive Guard @ 55pts each { lost a BS and gained 5 points?!?! hum may drop them for a Lictor brood they dropped 15pts each so would be 150}

Haruspex (175pts) Base @ 160pts + adrenal glands(15pts){ The Doom of Malan'Ttai gone completely will run a Haruspex instead }

Zoanthrope Brood (150pts) 3x Zoanthrope @ 50pts each {gained 30 points there helpful but didn't completely off set the Haruspex in place of the doom got to hope for more points gain in troops }

Troops (435pts)

Termagant Brood (240pts) 30x Termagant @ 8pts each with devourers {nice points drop but may have to atleast put toxin back on due to loss of tervigon buffage meaning they go back up to 300pts}

Tervigon (troop) (195pts) Base @ 195pts { may just run him bare bones due to extreme cost increase plus 12 inch kill zone for termagants and loss of buffage for termagants}

Fast Attack (165pts)

Hive crone (165pts) Base 155 + stinger salvo(10pts) {dropping the Gargoyles in favor of a new model liking the rake vector strike/ harpy looks good too but both are fragile}

Heavy Support (430pts)

Biovore Brood (120pts) 3x Biovore @ 40pts each { net gain of 15 there}

Mawloc (140pts) { net gain of 30 there}

Exocrin (170pts) {dropping one mawloc to play with new model same cost as old mawloc}

That's the rework of an old list for now... would likely think about trying to get poison on the termagants or even dropping the devourers and going adrenal and toxin instead. Also the prime is very costly so might think about dropping regen there and lictors instead of hive guard to free up points for a spore mine cluster(really like the new rules for those)

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Al Shut View Post
    I fielded some pretty expensive genestealers (toxin sacs and talons) from time to time but with the price going even higher and the Broodlord loosing his instant death biomorph (glued that Tervigon tongue on his butt for nothing) they will likely go into hibernation for quite some time.
    After some thought I'd like to change that into 100% certainty I won't field them in the foreseeable future. I don't feel like changing the arms of an entire unit and flat out refuse to pay 4 points for an additional attack.

To be replaced with whatever troop choice I would have rotated out of the mix to make room for this expensive unit, chances of outflanking via Tyrant ability risen to compensate the loss of infiltration.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456