BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default "Lolwut?!" - 1000pts of Inquisition

Hey, y'all.

I'm joining an Escalation league to start out Inquisition, and I wanted to give this list a shot:

SQUAD NUMBER 1
    - Xenos Inquisitor with Needle Pistol, Force Sword, and Power Armor; Frag/Krak/Psyk-out/Rad/Psycho Grenades; Digital Weapons; Liber Heresius; Psyker Lvl 1 with Hammerhand.
    - Xenos Inquisitor with Bolt Pistol, Chainsword, and Carapace Armor; Frag/Krak/Psyk-out Grenades; Psyker Lvl 1 with Psychic Communion
    - 6 Death Cult Assassins
    - 4 Crusaders
    - Land Raider Redeemer with Multimelta, Storm Bolter, Searchlight and Psybolt Ammo

SQUAD NUMBER 2
    - 5 Acolytes with Hotshot Lasguns and Flak Armor
    - Valkyrie with Lascannon, Multiple Rocket Pods, and Heavy Bolter Sponsons

SQUAD NUMBER 3
    - 5 Acolytes with Hotshot Lasguns and Flak Armor
    - Valkyrie with Lascannon, Multiple Rocket Pods, and Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Obviously, I only start with the Land Raider and its contents on the field, but it should easily be able to weather a round of shooting before I can call in the reinforcements, aided by the Psychic Communion Inquisitor. I don't know, just should be fun to play.
    Last edited by IBlameMyRolls; 01-10-2014 at 06:52 PM.

I think your big problem is going to be none of those units is scoring so you can't hold any objectives. Don't forget that your acolyte units are Elites choices which can't score unless you have Coteaz. That and the model count is awfully low for even 1000 points, especially for the damage they'll be able to dish out with those loadouts. Hotshot lasguns may be AP3, but they're still only S3 and 18" Rapid Fire, and being fired by BS3 models at that. 5 shots at 18" and 10 at 9", with only half hitting and needing at least 4s to wound if you're shooting at T3, those squads are going to get you maybe 1-2 dead guardsmen equivalents a turn, assuming no cover. That Inquisitor doom blob in the Landraider should be able to mulch whatever you get into combat with, sure, but don't overestimate how effective that AV14 will be at getting them across the table, even at 1000.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Boyle View Post
    I think your big problem is going to be none of those units is scoring so you can't hold any objectives. Don't forget that your acolyte units are Elites choices which can't score unless you have Coteaz. That and the model count is awfully low for even 1000 points, especially for the damage they'll be able to dish out with those loadouts. Hotshot lasguns may be AP3, but they're still only S3 and 18" Rapid Fire, and being fired by BS3 models at that. 5 shots at 18" and 10 at 9", with only half hitting and needing at least 4s to wound if you're shooting at T3, those squads are going to get you maybe 1-2 dead guardsmen equivalents a turn, assuming no cover. That Inquisitor doom blob in the Landraider should be able to mulch whatever you get into combat with, sure, but don't overestimate how effective that AV14 will be at getting them across the table, even at 1000.
    Not anymore. In the new Inquisition Codex if the forces from that are used as the Primary Detatchment then bands of Henchmen count as Scoring units (page 71). So no Coteaz required.

If you can swing it I would switch the LR Redeemer for a LR Crusader. You'll get a lot more use out of the Psybolt ammo upgrade with S5 Hurricane Bolters and S7 Assault Cannons. And you'll usually get a lot more shooting in since you don't have to get as close to use the main weapons.

Brother-Captain

That LR is going to be taking a lot of hits on turns one and two -- potentially leaving you're squad stranded out in the middle somewhere until your Valkyries arrive...however, if this is to be an allied force, then go for it.
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Quote Originally Posted by This Dave View Post
    Not anymore. In the new Inquisition Codex if the forces from that are used as the Primary Detatchment then bands of Henchmen count as Scoring units (page 71). So no Coteaz required.

If you can swing it I would switch the LR Redeemer for a LR Crusader. You'll get a lot more use out of the Psybolt ammo upgrade with S5 Hurricane Bolters and S7 Assault Cannons. And you'll usually get a lot more shooting in since you don't have to get as close to use the main weapons.
    Ahh, I guess I missed that bit reading through it. My other issues with those units still stand though. Five T3 guys in flak armor are going to evaporate when someone looks at them funny, and those hotshot lasguns aren't going to be doing much before that happens.

The guys in the Valkyries are there exclusively for objectives on the last turns - I'm not expecting much else out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by IBlameMyRolls View Post
    The guys in the Valkyries are there exclusively for objectives on the last turns - I'm not expecting much else out of them.
    In that case there's probably a better place to spend those hotshot lasgun points. I don't know how effective a single deathstar unit is going to be at 1000 points, especially given it's not really that durable especially once they're knocked out of the LR. At T3 you're going to be making a lot of 3+ saves on those crusaders. Yes, that unit will tear up whatever it gets its hands on, but given it'll be the only thing you have on the board turn 1, getting their hands on something will be easier said than done for them.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by IBlameMyRolls View Post
    In that case you might change their load out slightly. For the same points you can give them all Carapace Armor and Boltguns. That'll make them a little more survivable so they might be able to actually hold something.