BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

Someone had mentioned it in the other thread a few days ago, I tried the harpy + 3 carnifex charge this afternoon. Was pretty devastating having the fex's hit first on the charge.

Tervigon is still useful as well, just pricey for what it is now. The extra mid game spawned gaunts were kind of a big deal with the obj's at the end seeing as my initial wave of gaunts still tends to get pretty dead by Turn 3-4. Was also lucky with psychic. and it makes a good back line babysitter for non gaunt units.

Loving running 18 FB gaunts with 12 Dev in the back of the same unit. protects the dev gaunts for longer, and the unit having 12" range up front and 18" for guys in back seems to make them more reliable about all having range shoot with 30 in the unit.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Ang56 View Post
    Tervigon is still useful as well, just pricey for what it is now. The extra mid game spawned gaunts were kind of a big deal with the obj's at the end seeing as my initial wave of gaunts still tends to get pretty dead by Turn 3-4. Was also lucky with psychic. and it makes a good back line babysitter for non gaunt units.
    this, I have a feeling we're going to have to run 1 or 2 tervigons base just to ensure we have some scoring still late game. I know people are looking at Gant swarms, but its been a LONG time since Gant swarms were a serious option for us and in that time the firepower even single troops units can put out has increased dramatically. In my games with this book so far I can say that if I hadn't had scoring I'd be in trouble, 100 or so gants may seem like a lot, but when a tau firewarrior squad can kill 20 a turn......yeah thats not going to last too long.
    Last edited by daboarder; 01-12-2014 at 04:31 AM.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

I was looking at the malanthrope brood and was thinking of taking 2 as the 2nd HQ. though im not sure if they are worthwhile being your warlord if allowed, they would provide 8 toughness5 wounds and regeneration with a nice synapse bubble from 2 of them. all for 10 points less than a dual devourer Flying tyrant. I definetly think they have a good chance in this edition. they also still have the prey adaption rule.

"Once a malanthrope brood has destroyed an enemy infantry unit[of any type] in an assault, both they and any friendly tyranid model or unit within synapse range of the malanthrope brood [including the malanthropes themselves] gain the preferd enemy special rule against the enemy type they have slain."

that right there screams bring those droppod units in. so what you take some wounds off something. then gank them with the malanthropes. could be a nasty combo.

Brother-Sergeant

Last edited by Ang56; 01-12-2014 at 05:21 PM.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    this, I have a feeling we're going to have to run 1 or 2 tervigons base just to ensure we have some scoring still late game..
    I'd take one, in games like 1500 ish maybe? one can give you some scoring units / back line babysit. i don't think i can see myself dumping ~400 pts into tervigons under like 2500 at least, if even then.
    Last edited by Ang56; 01-12-2014 at 06:16 AM.

Brother-Sergeant

Was bored and pointed a gaunt swarm list, would be fun to field this once tho I don't have the proper weapon load out on HT or shrikes.

*HQ*

Hive Tyrant 165

*TROOPS*

Hormagaunt Brood (20) 100
    Hormagaunt Brood (20) 100
    Termagaunt Brood (30) 120

*ELITE*

Venomthrope 45
    Venomthrope 45
    Venomthrope 45

*FAST ATTACK*

Tyranid Shrike Brood (3) 90

Total : 1250 Pts
    173 Models

Just rush, leave the shrikes behind lines just to provide synapse and deter things from going after the venoms. Use HT mostly for vehicles. See if thier 1250 pt list can manage that many models through venom cover. You could design a list to handle this I'm sure. Would be fun to just ask someone to play a 1250 pt pick up game and drop this on them with no warning and see how it goes.

(if he insisted on 1500 throw a tervigon in HQ to spawn more and bump the Hgaunts to 25)

Pretty sure the only way to really overwhelm someone with "swarm" is in small games over 1500 and the force org works against you. also armies tend to have a pretty large volume of fire at those point levels, enough to cut into your front ranks enough inches to slow your advance to a crawl.
    Last edited by Ang56; 01-12-2014 at 05:25 PM.

A question for you all:

why would be woth playing warriors when we have shrikes? (aside from FOC issues)

warriors: better save
    shrikes: better movement (so better synapse) + hammer of wrath

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Nicochan View Post
    A question for you all:

why would be woth playing warriors when we have shrikes? (aside from FOC issues)

warriors: better save
    shrikes: better movement (so better synapse) + hammer of wrath
    Warriors can score, Shrikes can not. That's the only reason... (Shrikes are commonly referred to as Bolter Bait also)

I love the "Idea" of putting lots of Venomthropes into my list to pull off ridiculous cover save combos, but there is so much Tau, Tigirius, Eldar and Divination with Ignore Cover in my area that it just doesn't really work. It didn't in 5th and I'm having a hard time with it now.

Since our MCs are relatively slow...even with Fleet...most of the savvy players use one unit to take out the Venomthropes with a quick round of shooting first, negating the saves and opening up the rest of the army for normal firepower. Venomthropes in my area are commonly referred to as "First Blood".

Line of Sight blocking terrain helps, but you still have to come out from behind it if you want to play with your opponent's army
    Last edited by rpricew; 01-12-2014 at 09:29 AM.

Hey! My first post on this forum : ).

What do you think of this 1000 point list:

hive tyrant + miasma cannon+ stranglethorn cannon + tactical instinct + 2 tyrant guards
    20 termagaunts with spike rifles
    20 termagaunts with spike rifles
    20 outflanking termagaunts with 3 shots str 4 thing. i have the german codex ; )
    2 zoanthropes
    2 hive guards
    2 toxothropes
    and 1 biovore

greetings,

Benjamin

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast