BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Making the Best of the New Nids

SO rather than bemoan the death of The Great Devourer, I thought we could start a thread to come up with positive ideas forward with the new codex in hand.

First off, I'm thinking that a flyrant with electroshock grubs might just be a riptide killer. The haywire flame attack neuters even that much overwatch if he can get close enough to use it without getting shot off the board. Throw a bonesword on him to gun for instant death and he might just carve up that death star.

Similarly I was playing mathhammer waiting for the codex to drop and in the simulations, it seems like a dead rush of 30 Gargoyles which could conceivably charge turn 2 would maybe put 1 wound on a riptide all together but with a WS 1 the tide is hitting on 5's which means even with three attacks, he's not killing much per turn and that could tarpit him for 4 rounds or more. This is even true with the O'vasa Commander ROFLSTOMP star. Granted you're throwing 280 points into that mess assuming AG but no Toxin but it's a thought.

Throw a deathleaper and nuke the commanders LD, he could also cause a real mess if you get a tyrant with psychic scream in there (though of course that's random)

What other thoughts do people have? I'm especially interested in wiping the smirk off my FL5RL (friendly local 5 riptide list) but that might be a dream for the 42nd millennium.

I was thinking about an high pressure list like this, but it's meant just for fun, I don't play competitive games:

Hive Tyrant, wings, hive commander 250
    Deathleaper 130 (deepstrike)

5 geno + broodlord 130 (infiltrate)
    30 devilgants 240 (make them flank)

2 zoanthropes 100
    2 zoanthropes 100

exocrine 170
    exocrine 170

crone 155
    crone 155
    6 spores (deepstrike) 30

TOT 1890

I usually play 2k matches, so I have 110 spare points to allocate. I made this list without the codex in my hands, just with the information read in the web, so I think I would use these 110 points in some upgrades...maybe adrenal glands in the exocrines, and something useful on the hive tyrant...

Note: in the first version of the list I put 3 zoanthropes and 3 hive guards, but the lack of synapse made me change to this version..

Hive Tyrant, wings - 200
    Deathleaper - 130

10 termies - 40
    10 termies - 40

3 Hive guard - 165
    3 Zoanthropes - 150
    3 Zoanthropes - 150

Hive Crones - 155
    Hive Crones - 155
    Hive Crones - 155

exocrine 170
    exocrine 170
    exocrine 170

TOTAL - 1850

Tournament list - Gants in reserve to take objectives later in the game, rest just walks up / Flies up while shooting the assault
    Itīs more or less Nidzilla HamSpam list.

Zoanthropes are actually quite good getting another power apart from their base power so they can buff.
    I realize it has only 2 troops and no Tervi but tervi is way of budget IMO it will almost never out pay itīs 200 points, also i believe that with 7 big bugs and 9 medium bugs the opponent has enough to worry about before clearing the gants.

Perhaps it could be changed by changing 3 Zoans for 3 venomthropes to gain more survaivability.
    Cheers :3

Quote Originally Posted by MrBleak View Post
    Hive Tyrant, wings - 200
    Deathleaper - 130

10 termies - 40
    10 termies - 40

3 Hive guard - 165
    3 Zoanthropes - 150
    3 Zoanthropes - 150

Hive Crones - 155
    Hive Crones - 155
    Hive Crones - 155

exocrine 170
    exocrine 170
    exocrine 170

TOTAL - 1850

Tournament list - Gants in reserve to take objectives later in the game, rest just walks up / Flies up while shooting the assault

Zoanthropes are actually quite good getting another power apart from their base power so they can buff.
    I realize it has only 2 troops and no Tervi but tervi is way of budget IMO it will almost never out pay itīs 200 points, also i believe that with 7 big bugs and 9 medium bugs the opponent has enough to worry about before clearing the gants.

Perhaps it could be changed by changing 3 Zoans for 3 venomthropes to gain more survaivability.
    I'm actually liking the new Deathleaper more and more. I'm also crazy enough to make him my warlord for his Mind Eater trait. He deep strikes near a group of tac marines. Hive Tyrant flies over, hits them with the grubs their shooting is neutered next turn, grubs again, their overwatch is neutered, he charges challenges Sgt McPowerfist and he either slinks away and the DL sythes down whats left of the squad or takes the challenge and gets cut down for he can -- er -- fist him to death. Bam: 2VP right there.

That said, I also feel like even though its epically undercosted, any nidzilla has to have a tervigon to poop out late game objective takers. The gants just wont live, they never do especially with a drop pod list. I'd drop a crone and possibly 1 hive guard to make room for the 30 tax and the beast itself. But I like this list. Exocrines seem to really be the only useful thing of the new models. I'm not sold on the crones, I feel like they're going to fly first turn, either get shot to death and grounded or spend a turn waiting for the enemy flyer to tentaclid, get those off and score 2 glances before getting proply gunned to death by the other flyer. I see the value in taking 3 maybe you can tentaclid enough to kill one flyer but if the enemy takes three flyers and they all come in at once, you're really boned. But I suppose you'd be really boned even if they didn't. I think I might actually just stick with the 100 pt Ageis Defense line. It's cheaper, can provide cover for the Exos and the advancing whatevers, plus it's much more reliable anti-air which is really the only reason to take the crone in the first place. Statistically, a lascannon will only destroy a 3 hull point AV 12 flyer 5% of the time where as a Quadgun will do so 15% of the time thanks to its rate of fire.

I think you miss the great value of the Crone, it has three uses:
    1 - the obvious anti air, but also anti tank st 8 vector strike
    2 - anti infantry - st6 ap4 ignore cover template - first turn max move straight line and burn fire casts the whole way (depending on deployment of course but second turn is a guarantied burna burna.
    3 Tentaclids can be used to take down Land raiders not just flyers, even if hoaming just applies against flyiers you can shot against ground tanks withought penalty
    maybe now they seem better :3

also i know that 20 gants is **** but i pput them in reserve for later, also the main idea is to table my opponent rather than capture his house XD

I think you miss the great value of the Crone, it has three uses:
    1 - the obvious anti air, but also anti tank st 8 vector strike
    2 - anti infantry - st6 ap4 ignore cover template - first turn max move straight line and burn fire casts the whole way (depending on deployment of course but second turn is a guarantied burna burna.
    3 Tentaclids can be used to take down Land raiders not just flyers, even if hoaming just applies against flyiers you can shot against ground tanks withought penalty
    maybe now they seem better :3

also i know that 20 gants is **** but i pput them in reserve for later, also the main idea is to table my opponent rather than capture his house XD

Ah yes, I do see your point there about the landraiders. I didn't give that much thought. still worried about its survivability. I also grossly overestimated the electroshock grubs as they dont cause re-rolls to 6's (just the haywire telekenisis power which we no longer have does that) still might be situationally useful though. AP 5 so it would melt a few guardsman's faces if nothing else but on a dakka tyrant--I dunno. I feel like if he's close enough to flamer a vehicle with the grubs he's close enough to smash

Hive Tyrant, wings - 200
    Deathleaper - 130

10 termies - 40
    10 termies - 40

3 Hive guard - 165
    3 Zoanthropes - 150
    3 Zoanthropes - 150

Hive Crones - 155
    Hive Crones - 155
    Hive Crones - 155

exocrine 170
    exocrine 170
    exocrine 170

TOTAL - 1850

How would you win at objectives with only two 10 Gant squads of troops? Reserving for late in the game is tough to do on a 3+...

The main idea is to table the opponent, this army is quite rough on offenssive. you should test it.
    I tried it this morning againt a tau friend of mine and i won (he uses 3 riptides 9 broadsides) so it can work.
    I already had this list done a few days back since the codex has been fully posted in spanish forums for like 3 days ^^

Chapter-Master

I snooze on this list. So sleepy...

Seriously, take a look at shrikes—Don't they have access to flesh hooks? I7 AP3 2 shots, 12" move and re-roll 2D6" charge.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast