BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Alpha Legion Operative

Lightbulb New WD Weekly and Warhammer Visions info and pricing

Plenty of rumour and whispers about, but here's the info on the new publications:

White Dwarf as we know it today is no more.

Jan 2014 (Tyranids) was the last edition. 2 New publications are to replace the mag, as follows:

White Dwarf Weekly:

Priced at £2.50 (or £2.75?), this will be a weekly publication which will contain new release info and pictures, battle reports, gaming articles and Jervis (& possibly Vetock). A small volume (~1/3 the size of current WD) intended more for the 'gaming' crowd.

Warhammer: Visions

The new monthly mag now priced at £7.50 and for your extra £2 gets a ~100 page bump to 252 pages. Current WD subscribers will get mail containing info on their subscription and how it will be affected (a legal requirement for those paying by DD in the UK). Visions caters for the 'hobby' crowd, and will focus on collecting, painting (paint splatter) and conversions (kit bash), and will include Blanchitsu, Armies on Parade/Golden Daemon (Parade Ground) & Design Studio (This month in x) updates.

Commentary:

I'm indifferent about this update and change to my main monthly hobby mag, an extra 66% page count increase for a 36% cost increase doesn't seem too bad, assuming the content is worthwhile rather than filler. For me (and many people), the highlights of WD we're the insights and inspiration coming from columns like Blanchitsu and from the Design Studio, so the appeal of the new Warhammer Visions remains, and I think the new title is suitable.

On the subject of WD Weekly, I can see why people are struggling with it a little more, though I'm keeping an open mind. An extra ~£10 per month for access to gaming articles (and new release ads) is difficult to justify, as personally I don't think the current WD style, tone and level of report has really found a target audience that would buy them outright. As a very simple, brief report with a heavy bias towards the new release of the month as they currently are in WD, a mag of battle reports and 'ads' doesn't sound appealing, particularly as many already think that the current WD is too focussed on advertising.

The potential of the weekly, however, is exciting. WDW could provide Datasheets, Battlescrolls, altars of war etc as physical counterparts to the digital releases providing those who don't own/want the required tech to get access. Coverage of long lost topics from the past could resurface, articles on campaigns, scenarios, and even tactics would bring something missing back to the current white dwarf.

A bit more extreme, perhaps, but GW could also decide to use the mag as an opportunity to completely alter the way they handle release windows, to allow models to be released at a whim, more in line with how projects are handled at the design studio. Allowing the flavour of the month to occupy, for example the first three weeks of a month would leave one or two slots for additional kits or collections for another army or game. This style of release could even allow for more rapid response to purchasing trends, allowing GW to take advantage of sales popularity on particular SKU's, or provide content top boost others, helping them flatten their revenue model. Mid-term changes to - or updates for - armies are something I think the whole gaming community would welcome.

Right now, I'm interested to see what direction the pair of publications take...

ACE01

One irk I do have: As a long time subscriber, I really wish they'd stop changing spines etc in the middle of the year! After not finishing the Azrael spines, could they not have done this for January to give us 2013 = WD, and 2014 = WV?
    My End Times Project Log on BOLS, current project: Undead Goblins! - http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?50621-ACE01-s-End-Times-begin!-A-plog-to-keep-me-motivated

So my question is this. If I am a subscriber and don't care for this change am I able to cancel or am I stuck receiving the new magazine..

Battle-Brother

From where I stand in this hobby some of what I like about WD is in the weekly and the rest is in Monthly mag. Not sure I want to spend an extra £12 (£10 for the weekly and the £2 bump on the monthly) I will how ever judge this over the first issue and month, after that I think as there is no WD any more this could finally be the excuse I needed to stop buying WD (or in this case the new versions)

I seriously doubt that this will see any improvement in content.

There will be no rules related content, fluff stuff or other things they can sell to us in digital form on the side.

It will just be more of the same.

Scout

I'm just not impressed with the idea tbh, I'd been collecting WD for 20yrs when I finally stopped buying it with the last change when CSM were released. We saw a price hike for a nominal page increase that was more of the same advertising. An now there's two "mags" for a total of £17.50 per month reportedly doing exactly what WD was "doing" for £5.50. We've seen page increases before, we've had extras (datasheets, variant stats, campaigns, miniatures etc) and each time its fallen by the way side. When the weekly advert mag doesn't sell it'll go bi-weekly and those ads will creep back in because that's a better, regular, captive audience.

I just have a distinct feeling this is a case of "Hey everyone, look at the Emperors new clothes!", but remember kiddies the Emperor is stuck on a golden throne, he doesn't have new clothes!

So its another cash grab by GW then....

I can't see it for anything else.. I really can't.

Alpha Legion Operative

It's certainly a move to get more from us, don't think anyone can argue otherwise, but I'm certainly going to wait before swinging the executioner's axe.

@kwelz if you're a uk direct debit subscriber, GW have to notify you of a price increase and you can choose to refuse.
    My End Times Project Log on BOLS, current project: Undead Goblins! - http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?50621-ACE01-s-End-Times-begin!-A-plog-to-keep-me-motivated

Seems like it is also an attempt to stop the monthly WD leaks.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by ACE01 View Post
    Plenty of rumour and whispers about, but here's the info on the new publications:

White Dwarf as we know it today is no more.

Jan 2014 (Tyranids) was the last edition. 2 New publications are to replace the mag, as follows:

White Dwarf Weekly:

Priced at £2.50 (or £2.75?), this will be a weekly publication which will contain new release info and pictures, battle reports, gaming articles and Jervis (& possibly Vetock). A small volume (~1/3 the size of current WD) intended more for the 'gaming' crowd.

Warhammer: Visions

The new monthly mag now priced at £7.50 and for your extra £2 gets a ~100 page bump to 252 pages. Current WD subscribers will get mail containing info on their subscription and how it will be affected (a legal requirement for those paying by DD in the UK). Visions caters for the 'hobby' crowd, and will focus on collecting, painting (paint splatter) and conversions (kit bash), and will include Blanchitsu, Armies on Parade/Golden Daemon (Parade Ground) & Design Studio (This month in x) updates.

Commentary:

I'm indifferent about this update and change to my main monthly hobby mag, an extra 66% page count increase for a 36% cost increase doesn't seem too bad, assuming the content is worthwhile rather than filler. For me (and many people), the highlights of WD we're the insights and inspiration coming from columns like Blanchitsu and from the Design Studio, so the appeal of the new Warhammer Visions remains, and I think the new title is suitable.

On the subject of WD Weekly, I can see why people are struggling with it a little more, though I'm keeping an open mind. An extra ~£10 per month for access to gaming articles (and new release ads) is difficult to justify, as personally I don't think the current WD style, tone and level of report has really found a target audience that would buy them outright. As a very simple, brief report with a heavy bias towards the new release of the month as they currently are in WD, a mag of battle reports and 'ads' doesn't sound appealing, particularly as many already think that the current WD is too focussed on advertising.

The potential of the weekly, however, is exciting. WDW could provide Datasheets, Battlescrolls, altars of war etc as physical counterparts to the digital releases providing those who don't own/want the required tech to get access. Coverage of long lost topics from the past could resurface, articles on campaigns, scenarios, and even tactics would bring something missing back to the current white dwarf.

A bit more extreme, perhaps, but GW could also decide to use the mag as an opportunity to completely alter the way they handle release windows, to allow models to be released at a whim, more in line with how projects are handled at the design studio. Allowing the flavour of the month to occupy, for example the first three weeks of a month would leave one or two slots for additional kits or collections for another army or game. This style of release could even allow for more rapid response to purchasing trends, allowing GW to take advantage of sales popularity on particular SKU's, or provide content top boost others, helping them flatten their revenue model. Mid-term changes to - or updates for - armies are something I think the whole gaming community would welcome.

Right now, I'm interested to see what direction the pair of publications take...

ACE01

One irk I do have: As a long time subscriber, I really wish they'd stop changing spines etc in the middle of the year! After not finishing the Azrael spines, could they not have done this for January to give us 2013 = WD, and 2014 = WV?
    what about people with the paper subscription, where you use the tokens?
    For the Greater good.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrela View Post
    Seems like it is also an attempt to stop the monthly WD leaks.
    By replacing them with weekly leaks?

If Warhammer visions has actual proper hobby content like terrain building and conversion articles as well as more in depth painting guides and such it could be really good. Hope GW are up to it.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast