BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Where has this been announced? I don't see anything on the GW website at the moment and as a subscriber my self I'd expect to be notified well in advance of it happening.

Cheers

Vogon

Alpha Legion Operative

Your local gw has most of the info, and a proper announcement can be expected after Wednesday.

As I mentioned current subscribers can expect notification prior to the new mag.
    My End Times Project Log on BOLS, current project: Undead Goblins! - http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?50621-ACE01-s-End-Times-begin!-A-plog-to-keep-me-motivated

im very dubious of this change. i'd be very surprised if its any more than a re-hash of the same old style in different formats with a new price. GW stopped caring long ago what the hobbyists wanted to see. what they give us in white dwarf is all designed in a way to sell product. every battle report is contrived and highly biased towards new releases, every painting article towards new releases etc. very little actual useful content that isn' blatantly included as another form of advert.

bottom line is this. you can get everything white dwarf offers you for free online by true hobbyists who post it up on youtube or blogs etc for free. if i want battle reports i'll go to a dozen channels who put well made videos out fairly often and see battles with actual army lists designed to win, not sell you riptides or wraithknights, where the outcome isn't going to be decided by which codex just got released. if i wanted painting tips there is a plethora available online by people just as good as eavy metal team offering you advice based on a whole range of products not just GW's which aren't the best.
    i'd much rather support those channels who do it for the love of it than support GW's overpriced magazine that offers me nothing whatsoever.

im very interested to see if this is true and if so what each issue will actually offer. im not optimistic to be honest.

Alpha Legion Operative

Most of what you're saying regarding the talent of the internet is certainly true, I'm sure many of us use the various hobby sites to supplement our hobby knowledge.

Yet not everyone has access to the internet 24/7 and some hobbyists like warhammer/40k as it is primarily a physical hobby, an escape from the digital world. For many, a mag is something that's easy to consume on a commute or break, and ultimately, a man is something which GW feel is still relevant to its customer base.

Yes we're going to see slanted reports and ads on upcoming releases, but they are the way the majority of hobbyist get pre-release info, we forum crawlers must remember we are a minority.
    My End Times Project Log on BOLS, current project: Undead Goblins! - http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?50621-ACE01-s-End-Times-begin!-A-plog-to-keep-me-motivated

Scout

I am interested as after nearly 20 years of WH I stopped in Nov 2013 then decided to renew in Dec and Jan with the Nids was the first. If I paid for a year will I get a year of the new more expensive mag or will they come asking for more money. They knew the change when I renewed 5-6 weeks ago as the new mag would already have been written for the printers. I am also with the original post why not change with the new year and end the WD in Dec.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrela View Post
    Seems like it is also an attempt to stop the monthly WD leaks.
    I think you are on to something there.
    It's possible the weekly mag will pick up the expansions that hav'nt been selling well enought.
    Will anyone pick up both the weekly and monthly mag. I can see myself chopping between the two depending on content, I.d love to know what a subscription will get you now it appears it's the same price for the monthly mag, but the weekly mag is separate.
    Rogue Trader since 1991.

Quote Originally Posted by Vogon View Post
    Where has this been announced? I don't see anything on the GW website at the moment and as a subscriber my self I'd expect to be notified well in advance of it happening.

Cheers

Vogon
    iBooks now sells warhammer visions subscriptions as an in app white dwarf purchase. Therefore every thing else must be true
    Rogue Trader since 1991.

This is stupid. The more I read of this the more I see GW just trying to find ways to see you their granny. I was optimisitc when WD last got a revamp but it went down hill so fast I haven't bought a WD for roughly a year now. I don't see why they need both a weekly catalogue and a monthly "hobby" zine when WD should have been the true "Hobby" magazine it once was. If they need a catalogue pamphlet I don't see why they can't churn out a freebie like they used to have in store years ago. Frankly I've had more enjoyment going round to my local independant game shop and picking up old copies of WD than anything that's been coughed out by GW. This Warhammer visions need to be pretty damned impressive and not just a bunch of over sized pictures and size 14 font text but some serious fluff content modelling/painting ideas etc. I know GW is a business and has to make money but frankly it feels as though very little love for the Warhammer-verses exists within the halls of GW and its all about churning out models quickly with all new bells and whistles to take as much cash as fast as possible.

Librarian

Where's the Beef?
    Thanks to digital editions am I just waiting for hobby/fluff/battle reports?

First-Captain

mehhh

GW have more details online now, and you can only get the weekly from GW Stores Independent stockists (good luck finding one) and the GW online store.....

bad decission IMVHO....

Still at least the Visions will be available from anyone who previously stocked WD....

I just hope issue one isn't polybagged, I want to look through it before decieding to shell out my hard earned Pound Sterling....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast