BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    I think you entirely miss the point of Bugs.

Things are supposed to die. A mawloc is going to die. Who cares. That does not detract from the fact that the Mawloc is a good disruption unit.
    well thank you for telling me I have no idea about an army I've been collecting to 10 years...I'll take that into account. oh and thats a stupid idea, one that is not supported in the fluff and has only been used as an excuse for the last......11 days.

moving along, you like your disposable MC thats all well and good but Id rather make the enemy work for the kill than just give it to them.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    Things are supposed to die. A mawloc is going to die. Who cares. That does not detract from the fact that the Mawloc is a good disruption unit.
    "Ok, I'm deepstriking my Mawlock... alright, the blast hits, I kill like two guys... oh, crap, I mishap... well, he's dead" is not much of a distraction.

Not that I think the Mawlock is bad, but if you seriously think that its rules are well written then you're smoking something. At the very least, why do you drop a Large Blast, even though that's not the same shape as the oval base? Why not just say "I'm deepstriking here, everything under my base gets hit"?
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

???

What do you want from GW? An Oval shaped Blast? If you look at that, it is quite generous. Plus, you get to put that down twice. Think about it this way: Str6 AP2 Ignores cover wounds 90% of the game units on a 2+. Twice!

Seems quite clear to me!
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Chapter-Master

...an oval shaped blast is kind of exactly what would make sense, yes. I mean, it would be only logical to be like 'ok, my mawlock is deepstriking here, everything under the base takes a Str 6 Ap2 hit'. And instead of this weird 'place a blast template, and if it doesn't kill everything place a second one', just keep the old 'push survivors out of the way' rule. I mean, seriously, how does the Mawlock mishap? It pops up and pokes its eye on a Space Marine's foot, so it gets scared and tunnels back into the ground?

I'm not saying the rule is difficult to understand. I'm saying that, of all the ways they could have done it, why did they pick that one?
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Brother-Captain

There is the potential for it to go back into reserves, then do it again next turn. I think the biggest worry is that you're pretty likely to just scatter off-target and only hit a couple of models. Without the BS reduction you get when shooting you're likely to scatter quite far. If Lictors could move before Reserves happened we might be able to use them, but as it is we aren't going to get Lictors within 6" of a unit we want to Mawloc by turn 2. Even if you managed to get that close, they would probably just be killed.

If you roll well on the scatter it's lovely, but the chance of scattering too much seems too high to me.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    ...an oval shaped blast is kind of exactly what would make sense, yes. I mean, it would be only logical to be like 'ok, my mawlock is deepstriking here, everything under the base takes a Str 6 Ap2 hit'. And instead of this weird 'place a blast template, and if it doesn't kill everything place a second one', just keep the old 'push survivors out of the way' rule. I mean, seriously, how does the Mawlock mishap? It pops up and pokes its eye on a Space Marine's foot, so it gets scared and tunnels back into the ground?

I'm not saying the rule is difficult to understand. I'm saying that, of all the ways they could have done it, why did they pick that one?
    For the life of me I 100% don't understand the Mawloc's new deepstriking rules. Why couldn't they have just kept it the same expect added "Ignore Cover". I would have been over the moon with that. It makes no sense AT ALL that he gets two blasts...then mishaps if he can't be placed. Why? Why would he get two blasts for bursting out of the ground?

Tysnkel also isn't making a lot of sense. It really feels like he is thinking of last editions Mawloc which was a great distraction and it just burst up through the ground, pushing stuff around and being a genuine pain in the butt. Now with the mishap half the time it's a non issue as you are either placed to be destroyed, placed to be irrelevant or just flat out dead. That is one of my major issues with this book. Quite a few things were reduced in points, which is great (and was needed) while everything also had a "...but" added to it. So my Trygon for example went down 10pts...but...his stupid tunnel is still stupid and he no longer re-rolls to hit in close combat. Everything in the book is this way. Drives me nuts.

I agree that mawlocs arent reliable, can do damage, but are too random to waste 140pts wise competitively. I mean ok if he dsnt scatter u get 1 maybe 2 blasts, but just imagine how p off ud be if u drop a blast on a unit of guardsmen, , he gets 4 1s, so u do another balst and he gets a 1, so because of 1 guardsman, ur mawloc mishaps?? Straanger things have happened and u know it. Great fluff, probably fun for a friendly but I wont let 1 guardsman ruin my tournament.
    Aboit the swarmlord, dabo the way youve described swarmy has made me rethink everything about him, just dont u feel that with only 1 flyrant and 2 crones ur still lacking AA?? I mean 2 flyrants plus 2 crones really makes u feel safe when u face 3 helldrakes and vendettas in 1 army or 3 helldrakes and nightscythes, or stormtalons and stormravens...

Also I dno why ppl hate crones so much, true theyre t5 and 4+save but u have 5 wounds and most hit on 6s, plus dont field 1, field 2 and a flyrant or 2, put hormies in ur opponents face put gaunts behind an aegis, get zoanthropes within firing range while they give synapse to ur gribblies, put venomthropes in tempting places where hed be tempted to fire at them, like that, ur crones wud be able to get their 155pts worth, go vs white scar biker spam? U have d3+1 s8 ap3 v.strikes that wud eat a 5 man biker squad (leaving 1 maybe 2 that ur griblies cud take down) eldar troops? Drool cannon, tanks? Tentaclid plus dakka flyrants flyers? Tentaclid missiles. Theyre really really good u just have to learn how to play them, after all if u wanted an easy straight forward army to lay, start buying eldar or tau, were nids and were complicated!! :P

N.B daboarder I recommend u give ur hormagaunts t.sacs, wounding anything on 4s includes wraithknights, riptides and the like...u move 12"(on average) then charge with a re roll next turn, have move through cover and if within synapse are fearless for 8pts!!

First-Captain

The same that is said for the Mawlock was the same thing people said about old Flamers of Tzeentch until they started winning tournaments and everyone started to use them.

They aren't a very expensive unit and can easily take out a decent amount of troops. Heck they run great with long range blast weapons which forces you to think about spreading out your guys or keep them bunched together.

If my Mawlock takes out two broadsides and wound another than it did a good job. Personally I like this version much better. The other version cost more and didn't do as much damage, unless it was a vehicle. This one does much more damage, cheaper and balanced out. Against tau and guard you can take out targets like O#SHOVA bomb for example.

Yeah it can miss or misshap. That is why I think you should run more than one. Last edition I suggested running 3. This one after some play testing I would say go with at least two and an Exocrine. I want to say just run 3 Mawlocks to be honest.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post

Think physics: You aren't going to Burst out of the ground with the force that kills things in 40k, unless you 'explode' out of the ground. aka a crater. Craters are circular due to the energy to momentum ratio being >>1.

Another way to look at it: there are only 2 blast templates. a small one and a big one. I, for one, would prefer the big one for such a large creature...
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast