BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch's Dark Agent View Post
    Almost everything can outflank, infiltrate, or deep strike.
    TDA, your gonna have to do more than just throw out single lines if you want to discuss things. I've got no idea what the point your trying to make but I'll respond to the one I think you are.

Reserve heavy forces are interesting to look at but due to the rules this edition there are a number of limitations to them, particularly close combat ones.

1) Only 50% of an army can be in reserves
    2) If those are combat critters only then they are sitting around in position for a turn allowing the enemy to position themselves to take the charge, shoot you in the face, and even counter charge you if they want.

Thats why I suggested that its going to be rough (not unplayable) and that I recommend you roll strategic, you want to maximise the target saturation of both you on board and reserve presence as well as ensure that your reserves don't linger off the table. The most effective ways of doing this for nids are...

1) running the swarmlord (a points intensive model that I will get to when I do our HQ units)
    2) An aegis line with comms relay
    3) rolling on the strategic table, the results either protect you on board presence, ensure that your reserve units arrive where or when you want them, or prevent your enemy from efficiently bringing their own forces to bear.

Of particular problem to nid reserve lists is the synapse issue, yes they don't need to roll the turn they arrive but they will need to roll to do anything T3 onward. In fact you probably need even more synapse in such a reserve army to prevent the enemy from tacking your force apart piecemeal. If you don't have enough synapse n you 50% then you enemy can kill that and then largely ignore that portion of your army as unless you bring in your synapse there (wondering why you would then reserve it at all in that case). This means that you need more synapse than a regular nid list (I wouldn't say twice as much, but definitely more)
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

The Swarmlord, you mean the big expensive lynchpin unit that you advised against? xD
    Red like roses, fills my dreams and brings me to the place where you rest...

Chapter-Master

Believe me I'll cover the swarmlord when I get to him.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

Psychic Powers:

Ok, we have no BRB powers, for these articles we're going to accept that and move on.

Primaris) Dominion:
    Blessing, caster gains +6 to its synapse range.
    A solid power, and as I said earlier one of the two things which make the norn crown rather redundant. Personally while I advocate always having this power available if possible I would not usually recommend swapping out whatever the first power you roll for it. This is because despite being situational all the Tyranid psychic powers will have their uses throughout the game, and by keeping whatever power you roll first you increase your odds of gaining the much desirable catalyst. Other than that, having dominion on tougher units is good as it means later in the game when you've lost some of you synapse network you can rely on being able to still control the swarm.

1) Catalyst:
    Blessing, targets the psyker's unit, and one other friendly within 12. Gains Feel No Pain
    The big one, the one you want where you can. This thing is the best power on the list, it does wonders for the list, both increasing the survivability of the psyker and another unit, this power goes good anywhere really and you shouldn't need me to tell you how best to use it. Don't worry about keeping whatever model rolled it central, the 12 range on the rebound means that its likely you can reach any squad you want to give it too.
    Prime targets for the rebound include big squads of gants and gaunts about to hit cover, Monstrous creature squads that typically draw large volumes of fire, and other synapse units (keeping them alive is a priority)

2) The Horror
    Maledicition 24 target takes a pinning check as -2Ld
    A solid power, there are benefits and drawbacks to its designation as a malediciton instead of a witchfire. Malediction means that you do not have to charge the unit that the psychic power is cast on, meaning you can throw it up to 24 across the board to support another assault (Units in cover about to be assaulted by gants and gaunts are prime targets for this) and still smash into another unit. More importantly being a malediction means that the caster does not have to roll to hit the unit he is targeting, they just get their deny the witch and thats it. The drawback to being a malediction is that because they occur at the start of the movement phase you have to have LOS to the target in the opponents turn. This is mitigated somewhat by the long range and a willingness to throw it on targets of opportunity.

3) Onslaught:
    Blessing, 24, target may run and shoot in its shooting phase
    I haven't rolled this one yet, and I didn't run it last edition as I never felt it was worth 15 pts. Its a good power, not something you can rely in as you still need to roll your run distance, but as Eldar have shown us on fleeting units such an ability is remarkably versatile and dangerous in the right position. Prime targets include Zoanthropes and Hivegaurd or carnifexen. I wouldn't put adrenal glands on a unit in the hopes of getting this power and being able to reroll its run move, but its a nice power that should be useful in any balanced Tyranid list. Note however if you roll this power up as your second power, then it is also completely reasonable to swap out for the primaris if you feel that you could use the coverage more than the shooting boost.

NB: This power is not just a clone of battlefocus, you may only run before you shoot not after, I feel this is not as much of an issue as it appears as typically Nids should be playing aggressively and moving towards the enemy when they can, but be aware of it.

4) Paroxysm:
    Malediction, 24, target lowers its WS and BS by D3
    Another solid power, it has the same drawbacks and benefits for being a malediction that the horror suffers from and ultimately should be used the same way to be most efficient. It does however have added utility in that you can also use it to pro-actively hurt an opponent's unit. If you are unable to reach out and kill an enemy unit or prevent them from shooting you or assaulting you in there coming turn, throw paroxysm on the unit to make its effectiveness that much worse.

Notes:
    Paroxysm can never lower a targets statistics bellow 1 so no gimping a unit to BS0 to prevent shooting.
    It may be used on units in locked Close Combat
    And finally smack a unit with this multiple times to really put the hurt on.

5) Psychic Scream:
    Nova, 6, Units roll 2d6+2 test against their Ld and take a number of wounds equal to what they fail by, No armour or cover allowed.
    Honestly, this is probably the weakest power in the whole list, it has short range and is rarely going to hit more than a single unit, furthermore unlike shriek in telekinesis it has a tighter probability, now while this means that you're more likely to roll 7+2 for an 9 it also means that the maximum pay out of the power is a roll of 14 as opposed to 18. remember you don't care if the roll is lower than the leadership therefore a roll of say 6 may as well be snake eyes.
    This is the power I'm most likely to swap out for the utility offered by dominion unless I roll it on a Flying Hiver Tyrant who actually has the speed to at least try and smack multiple units with it.

NB: This power is particularly funny (re: painful) when used on screamer stars, grey knights and seer councils, remember that Shadow in the Warp is -3 Ld.

6) Warp Blast:
    Warp charge 2, Witchfire, two fire modes.
    24 S5 Ap3 Blast assault1
    18 S10 Ap2 Assault1 Lance
    We pay through the nose for this one, and if your casting it with anything but the Swarmlord then you're not casting one of our other powers, so make sure before the movement phase that your putting your warpcharges where they'll do the most damage. We all know the prime targets for this one, armour and bunched infantry (all sorts, the Ap3 is just icing) on a Flying Tyrant it also is a nifty anti-flier unit (even if you do gain no benefits from lance), remember though that casting it counts as shooting a weapon, so if you use this, you're not firing both those devourers on your flyrant (assuming you bought them)

Next instalment : HQ's
    Last edited by daboarder; 01-13-2014 at 03:31 PM.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    3) Onslaught:
    I haven't rolled this one yet, and I didn't run it last edition as I never felt it was worth 15 pts. Its a good power, not something you can rely in as you still need to roll your run distance, but as Eldar have shown us on fleeting units such an ability is remarkably versatile and dangerous in the right position. Prime targets include Zoanthropes and Hivegaurd or carnifexen. I wouldn't put adrenal glands on a unit in the hopes of getting this power and being able to reroll its run move, but its a nice power that should be useful in any balanced Tyranid list. Note however if you roll this power up as your second power, then it is also completely reasonable to swap out for the primaris if you feel that you could use the coverage more than the shooting boost.
    the wording in the german īdex implies itīs worse than Battle Focus - there it says you may "run and then shoot", but no word on the opposite (which we probably need less than the fragile Eldar, but still would have been useful to have...). Is it the same in the english version?
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Chapter-Master

Dude.

Daboarderereererer,
    you are totally wrong about Psychic Scream. I have been using Psychic Scream for years now. It was my favorite power in the 5th Edition Codex, and it was improved upon now in the new 6th Codex.

Never gunna hit anything? Bwah? I usually hit 3 units at time!
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    I usually hit 3 units at time!
    doing what? a wound each? if even that... it isnīt completely horrible, but I still think itīs the weakest from the list - which is quite nice in and of itself; while we donīt have the amazing powers some other disciplines have, there is also a distinct lack of really bad ones (hello Death Mission...)
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post
    Psychic Powers:

5) Psychic Scream:
    Honestly, this is probably the weakest power in the whole list, it has short range and is rarely going to hit more than a single unit, furthermore unlike shriek in telekinesis it has a tighter probability, now while this means that you're more likely to roll 7+2 for an 9 it also means that the maximum pay out of the power is a roll of 14 as opposed to 18. remember you don't care if the roll is lower than the leadership therefore a roll of say 6 may as well be snake eyes.
    This is the power I'm most likely to swap out for the utility offered by dominion unless I roll it on a Flying Hiver Tyrant who actually has the speed to at least try and smack multiple units with it.
    I wouldn't right this off just yet. Its situational for sure, but this thing is the bane of Grey Knights. Nova powers can hit units in combat so what you do is tarpit those paladins with gaunts and then just sit out of combat and scream them to death. Remember that they have -3 ld from SotW so that 2d6+2 is going to hurt!

Against any unit of psykers, this power is going to hurt. Lone psyker models would be devastated by this. Aren't Daemon Princes pyskers? Don't they want to run up and give you a hug?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrendian View Post
    doing what? a wound each? if even that... it isnīt completely horrible, but I still think itīs the weakest from the list - which is quite nice in and of itself; while we donīt have the amazing powers some other disciplines have, there is also a distinct lack of really bad ones (hello Death Mission...)
    Dude, not everyone in the game has Ld 10. Now with the +2 you have a solid chance of doing 2-3 wounds against multiple Marine Squads. That's valuable.
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    Dude, not everyone in the game has Ld 10. Now with the +2 you have a solid chance of doing 2-3 wounds against multiple Marine Squads. That's valuable.
    against Marines of most flavors or Eldar youīre looking at LD9 on many of the squads, provided they have leaders, meaning on the average 7 you do not do a single wound, and even at Ld8 (which is a bit more common admittedly, including Riptides and Broadsides afaik - no Tau book to hand to check) you will do nothing around 40% of the time... furthermore, Scream is pretty much only good on a Flyrant... so yes, I still think itīs the weakest of the seven, but itīs still quite decent and does have its value, if situational (like most of them)

ofc, against psykers itīs just brutal! no argument there!

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast