BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 40K terrain project...

After a 20 year break from the hobby I've decided to dive in to some scratchbuilding and sculpting.
    I've just discovered Death Korps of Krieg ( a little late to the party) , and with the new release of Stronghold Assault I thought i'd start with some dragon's teeth tank traps for my new Krieg...

These were built from florists foam, styrene, filler and putty.

Those look awesome sir, consider my hat doffed

Dan

Wow. Really nice.

Nice attention to detail, in particular, the top of the tank traps where you have the plate and bolt/nut for the bar going through the middle of the "concrete" =)

-- edit below --

A small piece of "rebar" in the broken trap would really bring that detail on the other two traps to life..
    Last edited by Thaldin; 01-13-2014 at 02:34 PM. Reason: after thought...

Chapter-Master

Hugely interested to know - the materials you listed ie foam, filler etc - were they a mix and if so in what proportion?
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Thanks guys for the kind words.

Thaldin, good point- I'll address this.

The grey tank trap in the BG of the first image is the master. The process started with a carved florist foam pyramid. It was coated with plaster and the form-work striations were modeled with a blade. Additional bits were from styrene and then primed.
    This was cast in a Pinkysil mold in both Easycast and Hydrocal. The Hydrocal version was for chipping down and breaking up.
    Then the three were mounted on some foam card and styrene for a base and dressed with all the bits- a plaster/white glue/water/flock/sand/small rock mix. The proportions are pretty arbitrary- It needs to be a nice slurry consistency. I just started using this combination on other pieces like the Krieg Lascannon above.
    A couple of light coats of watered down white glue and primer set everything down with minimal undercuts.
    The the whole piece was cast again for multiples for my army and durability in Procast resin.

I'm pretty happy with the results, it sits well with some Forge world pieces I recently purchased and am planning a whole bunch of different terrain.

More on the blog... [URL="revisitingthewarp.blogspot.com"]revisitingthewarp.blogspot.com[/URL]
    Last edited by DominusLimum; 01-13-2014 at 06:34 PM.

Your casts look like they turned out great! And I agree with Thaldin - some rebar would add some realism to the traps (not that they don't look real)

An update to the dragon's teeth tank traps- broken rebar. I am pretty happy with this piece and was thinking of re-sculpting the other tank trap aquilas for a more generic/non GW look.

[url]http://revisitingthewarp.blogspot.com.au/[/url]
    Dominus Limum
    revisitingthewarp.blogspot.com

Looks damn nice! And yup, I like the rebar in the broken trap =D

Default Krieg Heavy Mortar

I have been working on this Krieg heavy mortar for a little while but shelved it to work out how I was going to make a base. Most heavy mortars are unbased with their crew on regular bases. I liked what Forge World had done on their site but had a hard time trying to find an appropriate GW sized base. Yesterday I came across Secret Weapon's hollowed bevel bases- perfect for a support for what I had wanted to do and allowed me some extra space to play with scenery/terrain.
    The ground plates were created with plasticard and once a master was cleaned up and primed, cast in resin (for another terrain project I have on the backburner).

Last edited by DominusLimum; 06-14-2014 at 02:30 AM.
    Dominus Limum
    revisitingthewarp.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast