BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Land raider Ares

Question does the land raider ares have rules somewhere? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LandRaiderAres000.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	6724
    Purge the Weak!

They used to be downloadable from the "Apocalypse Datasheets" section of the GW website... back when it had one.

For 300 points it's got your standard machine-spirited BS4 and all-around AV14, with zero transport capacity but mounting a Demolisher Cannon, Twin-Linked Assault Cannon and two Twin-Linked Heavy Flamer sponsons (I believe it was created pre-Redeemers, measuring in real-world time).

It has a searchlight, smoke launchers and dozer blade (not siege shield... again, this was before the 5th Edition Codex) as standard and can buy Extra Armour for 15pts.

Occuli Imperator

Second page of this pdf: [url]http://www.chamber42.com/files/resume/work_examples_writing.pdf[/url]
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Yes the Ares is a beautiful tank. The trouble about it was that it came just before they got rid of their bits ordering service so you couldn't get the metal twin flamers for the side sponsons from them. I eventually did build my Ares later on after the Redeemer came out as there was the perfect substitute weapon. Don't mess with points and just do a straight swap out of the twin linked heavy flamers for a flamestorm cannon. Either way it needs to be protected from long range attacks on the way forward since nothing you have is over 24". Unless you take a Hunter Killer missile, which is usually a good idea since it gives you that first turn shot if you aren't charging forward at full speed.

Be forewarned. If you undertake this project it is time consuming and cutting down the from plate of the vindicator to match the narrower width between the land raider tracks is one of the bigger pains I've experienced modelling. Unlike the instructions in the pdf posted above (great post btw Wolf) I did not cut the seige shield and insert plasticard to make it a touch wider. I found that it was just fine leaving it the size it was.

The priceless look on my gaming friends faces when they saw that Demolisher cannon comfortably nestled inside a Land Raider shell was worth all the trouble and cursing and minor injuries it took to get this built.

Hmm, just out of curiosity, how does Ordnance weapon and Power of the Machine spirit work together? I mean, what can it shoot and at what ballistic skill / snapshot?

Occuli Imperator

Isn't it "one more weapon at full BS" so you could fire in effect as stationary, i.e. Scatter - minus full BS
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

I thought the ares lacked punch so I made the Land Raider Athena. TWL Plasma cannons instead of heavy flamer sponsons. Never did paint it.

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Can this somehow be used in normal games?
    Purge the Weak!