BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New Tyranids 1750

After reading through the new Tyranid codex, I have a few ideas for a list. This is my "first draft" but I think it will serve me well. All of my models (besides the Crone) are from 2nd edition, which means incorporating new units will be difficult as they look out of place. This isn't a tournament list (I'll take my SM/IG for that) but feedback is appreciated. I don't like getting tabled

HQ
    Hive Tyrant 205
    -Heavy Venom Cannon, Bonesword & Lashwhip
    Provides some durable Synapse, firepower, and a CC threat.

Deathleaper 130
    Will deep strike or infiltrate depending on the mission and opponent. Will target backfield vehicles and heavy weapons, plus guide in the Spore Mines.

Elites
    2 Hive Guard 110
    2 Hive Guard 110
    Even though they got nerfed to BS3, they are still some of the best can openers in the codex.

Troops
    Tervigon 210
    -Crushing Claws
    I only gave it Crushing Claws because it's a converted Armorcast Malefactor. Those are not Scything Talons, lol. Provides synapse, poops troops, and can crush a Land Raider in CC.

30 Termagants 120
    Tervigon tax. They will support the Tervigon and provide cover to the rest of the army.

3 Warriors 120
    -Deathspitters, Rending Claws
    3 Warriors 120
    -Deathspitters, Rending Claws
    The Warriors provide flank synapse and a little CC/shooting support. The Rending Claws were included to create redundant anti-armor CC capabilities. Should they get heavy weapons?

Fast Attack
    Hive Crone 155
    My only real source of anti-air... and it's not that reliable of a source. Hopefully it lives to shoot every missile and get a few S8 vector strikes. I doubt I will ever use the flamer, as it isn't a torrent weapon... for some reason.

5 Spore Mines 25
    5 Spore Mines 25
    These will deep strike and not scatter thanks to Deathleaper. They will target either backfield vehicles or heavy weapons with S8 large blasts. I'm not sure if they are worth 25 points but it seemed like a cool combo.

Heavy Support
    Carnifex 140
    -Adrenal Glands, Spine Banks
    Carnifex 140
    Carnifex 140
    The heavy lifters of the army. They are the primary offensive force and have both Fleet and Frag Grenades thanks to the new codex. They will get FNP if the Tyrant or Tervigon rolls the appropriate psychic power.

Total: 1,750

Should I run the Carnifexes in a squad or individually? I have them separate now but it could be interesting to give them all FNP at once with a single Catalyst power. 4 Synapse units should be enough, so I am not too worried about that. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Chexmix282; 01-13-2014 at 02:21 PM.

A nice different take starting of with no flyrant.
    I personally love deathleaper, think he can be really strong if used well.
    Though im not to sure the list will fair well in tournament environment, seems a bit slow with just one flyer, but if it´s for fun it´s fine.

I´m personally not to sold on warriors i think that if you want more synapse zoanthropes are the way to go since they can roll for a power they can buff your fexes so you don´t rely just on the Tyrant plus they give you that added antitank.
    I would also recommend drop the othe squad of warriors plus 1 of spores for another crone. 1 crone and no flyrants will most likely not give you the air advantage.
    I like the carnies separated for a higher maneuverability.

Chaplain

I think you're going to need another crone. A single crone is grounding test bait. Also with 2 crones, where the 1st one does the initial damage, the 2nd one can make the kill. Should work well especially against other enemy fliers, but I would definitely suggest 2 minimum

Drop a spore set and swap one carnifex for a crone, should give you the points you seek.

I'm worried about your HT getting shot to bits. no Tyrant guard for HT?

Thanks for the suggestions!

@MrBleak: I like Flyrants, but as my Tyrants are the second edition models I feel I would be committing heresy by chopping them up and adding wings. I like the warriors as they are both scoring any provide extra synapse - I feel the Hive Guard have my primary anti-tank covered fairly well.

@Angelofblades: Crones cannot be grounded, thanks to the "Born in the Skies" special rule. I do see the benefit of adding a second one though. Two creates a mostly reliable anti-air system.

I will drop one unit of Warriors and a cluster of Spore Mines for a second Hive Crone. Once I dig up $80, lol.

Um Crones don't have that rule and can be grounded.

Quote Originally Posted by Empty Vector View Post
    Um Crones don't have that rule and can be grounded.
    Whoa, I missed that somehow. That's a huge difference.

Chapter-Master

I don't even know where 'born in the skies' came from!
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

I read it in a leak a while back, and now that I think about it I never even checked the codex to see if it was included. How does a flyer without legs move on the ground? lol.

Well, 5th ed fluff stated a Harpy was akin to a winged trygon, and we all know the trygon is legless, it just slithers around at high speeds. I haven't bothered reading 6th ed fluff yet, as with how disappointing the codex is to me, I don't wanna really invest time into it.

Chapter-Master

The codex is fine. You just have to look at new combinations.
    Take, for example, the 'Spore Chimney': Venomthrope embarked in a Bunker with Comm Tower. Place Biovores in the Ramparts. Everyone within 6" of the building has shrouded (even the bunker!), and the Biovores have 2+ cover saves. And bonuses to reserves!
    QUOTE Jwolf: "Besides, Tynskel isn't evil, he's just drawn that way. "

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast